Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Earthworm Jim by the original team coming exclusively to the Intellivision Amico

Silentstorm

Learned
Smart move on Intellivision’s part, remember all the Playstations Sony sold ‘cause of Earthworm Jim 3D?
To be fair, it wasn't exactly a great game, and also Jim himself was losing popularity, he just didn't have the charisma of Mario or Sonic.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And speaking as a PC gamer, if i were to buy a console, it sure as hell wouldn't be the Amico so far, it would be the Switch at this point.

As a PC gamer, if i were to buy a console, it would be a console that allows me the same flexibility and freedom that PC does. This basically translates to just a PC with an HDMI cable to connect to the TV with some gamepad friendly launcher (in the rare case i actually want to play something on a TV) or one of GPD's GPD Win models (i've actually got the first model last month and it is great as long as you don't mind limiting yourself only to the first 3 decades or so of the PC gaming library, plus any low GPU/CPU intensive indie games released more recently).

Dexter

Arcane
He commented on the attempts of theirs to banish him a few times, but he seems to have purged his Twatter since? Here are some of the most recent:
https://archive.fo/gCzh2
http://archive.li/PezPG

Also he has an IndieGogo going on trying to sell an Earthworm Jim comic book for the next two months: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/earthworm-jim-the-comic-book/

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Wow, i somehow completely forgot about the Amico being a thing since my last post, i haven't even thought about Earthworm Jim as well, just got suprised seeing this thread pop up in my alerts.

Still, while i did not grow up with an Intellivision, i am sure quite a few people did and would love a new one, and it's a recognized name by anyone interested in the history of gaming, so i am sure this will sell, i am confident it will sell better than the OUYA at least, granted, that is not saying much, but still, i think that the console will be bought by a few people.

Not sure it will sell really well or enough to have more consoles with the Intellivision name being done in the future, but i am sure some people will buy it, that being said, weren't there any other exclusive games other than Earthworm Jim?

Because i don't think Earthworm Jim is still popular enough to be any kind of Killer App, but that may just be myself underestimating the popularity of the franchise.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Game line-up for Amico, no footage of Earthworm Jim:

Properly 80s in some sense, early 2000s casual/indie PC/XBLA games in some sense. There's a game that seems like a remake (or re-imagination, as businessmen say) of Intellivision AD&D game (2:40)

Ash

Arcane
The vast majority of 80s games, especially early 80s, were shit precisely because they were ridiculously simple. Who the fuck wants to play leap frog, tic-tac-toe or hop! skip! jump! when you have Soccer, Chess and TTRPGs? Pretty much only a subsection of old dogs who grew up with that shit and can't comprehend gameplay beyond Pacman or four buttons to interact with the second dimension.

inb4 someone mentions Battle Chess to counter my chess analogy. Late 80s had some good games.

I'd like a new Earthworm Jim sure why not. Fun casual game (well, probably not casual cause it's pretty hard by today's standards). Not getting this POS for it though. Controller is dumb too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The vast majority of 80s games, especially early 80s, were shit precisely because they were ridiculously simple. Who the fuck wants to play leap frog, tic-tac-toe or hop! skip! jump! when you have Soccer, Chess and TTRPGs? Pretty much only a subsection of old dogs who grew up with that shit and can't comprehend gameplay beyond Pacman or four buttons to interact with the second dimension.

There are both simple games out there worth playing (even today) AND simple people that are content with them. I see no reason to piss all over either thing.

I think you're confusing many games with what can best be described as gaming garbage, i.e. games that are merely digital representations of board games, quizzes, quick cash-grabs (hello E.T.), "me-too"-clones of more famous games (every platform under the sun has a Snake-clone) or the worst category of them all, 8-bit sports games. (There are SO many terrible football games out there.) I know of streamers who've built small communites around them just playing crap games for shits and giggles.

But sometimes just a little bit of ingenuity can enhance a simple or tired formula. King and Baloon (1980) is a Space Invaders-clone with the added element of there being a King present whom the invaders are trying to abduct. The player must try to shoot the invaders while making sure the King remains safe. A simple addition that enhances the gameplay. Likewise Alley Cat (1983) should not need any introduction, and IIRC it doesn't even use any Fire-buttons. Just two examples off the top of my head.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another delay

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...as-been-delayed-again-to-the-end-of-the-year/
“The team at Intellivision has been working tirelessly to bring Amico, our family-focused entertainment system, to eager households around the world”
say what
pQGfVbz.jpg

get some stuff in the meantime

1:13:06
2:45:20

He's called Amico detractors as "gaming racists", no I'm not joking. He also said this, "If you want graphic violence and rape games than buy the Switch."

T1.gif

T3.gif

ChubbyCourageousIntermediateegret-size_restricted.gif

randir14

Augur
This will never come out. The only way you're getting new Earthworm Jim is from Doug TenNapel's crowfunding comics. Personally I backed both and was very happy with the results.

Palikka

Arcane
If you have about 6 hours of free time, watch these. Great videos and an absolutely fascinating look in to the character of Tommy Tallarico.
First video about the Amico and the second video about the man himself.

Dave the Druid

Educated
If you have about 6 hours of free time, watch these. Great videos and an absolutely fascinating look in to the character of Tommy Tallarico.
First video about the Amico and the second video about the man himself.
I mean we all know Tommy's nucking futs by now but the comments section on that Hbomberguy video is fucking wild:
g6BQ6Mt.png

I literally thought that, if nothing else, at least Tommy wrote Anything But Tangerines and that's something he can be proud of even if everything else is nonsense. Turns out NOPE. Not even that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom