Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Suikoden

Zyondyne

Learned
Talking about Suikoden, I only played Suikoden I & II. Wanted to play the third one as well, but my PC at the time was too weak to properly emulate it.

Before Eiyuden Chronicle releases and because I have some free time, I'd like to play another Suikoden game.

What would you recommend me? Suikoden III or Suikoden V?

Zyondyne

Learned
Why not both?

I don't have THAT much free time.

Besides, I'd like to play the better game first, because that may give me the incentive to play the rest of the series (eventually).

At first sight, Suikoden V seems more attractive because the art style looks a little more serious, as compared to the "chibi" like models in III.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
cWoEJdz.png

Play the shorter one.

Hyperion

Arcane
At first sight, Suikoden V seems more attractive because the art style looks a little more serious, as compared to the "chibi" like models in III
Suikodens always start off heavy on the tragedy, but I would say III is actually more serious than V on the whole. Plus, no voice acting makes it more enjoyable. And yeah, IV is kinda shitty.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Talking about Suikoden, I only played Suikoden I & II. Wanted to play the third one as well, but my PC at the time was too weak to properly emulate it.

Before Eiyuden Chronicle releases and because I have some free time, I'd like to play another Suikoden game.

What would you recommend me? Suikoden III or Suikoden V?

If you really just have the time to play one, play Suikoden 3.

Several reasons:

1. Narrative wise, while I think V is better... it is better because it is heavily inspired by Suidkoen 2 (and 1 to lesser extent). Suikoden 3, on the other hand, do its own thing narrative-wise and the experience is certainly more unique.

2. Suikoden 3 has the first two-fifth of the game experienced from 3 different protagonists. There are also some minor characters that get their own chapter, so to speak. First of all this is interesting narrative-wise because you are seeing the same event from multiple perspectives. Additionally, Suikoden series weakness is the fact that lot of the 108 heroes are underdeveloped interaction wise. This multiple protagonist style gives more characters the chance to shine.

3. Timeline-wise, Suikoden 3 is the latest where Suikoden 5 (and 4) are prequels. Suikoden 3 gives closure to some characters that you met in Suikoden 1 and 2. It pretty much gives a sense of closure to the overall narrative.

4. Gameplay-wise, Suikoden 3 is a departure from the series usual combat while V is just a rehass of Suikoden 1 and 2 combat. 3 is also entertainingly difficult so combat in general is more engaging.

ZoddGuts

Augur
I liked 3 and 5, 3 has some noticeable budget issues? Like there's moments where I felt they should have had music in certain parts in the game when there was none. 5 has the problem of having a silent protagonist and it stands out like a sore thumb in the 5th game, really awkward at times.

Terra

Cipher
3 & 5 are both excellent. I prefer 3 due to the plot, multi-POV system giving different perspectives on events and who the antagonist is (very much a spoiler). Suiko 3 is the furthest the timeline is ever likely to progress to, and the culmination of past events and characters is truly excellent. 3 is also the only entry with any semblance of difficulty in its battles.

5 is also really good, but as a prequel, it's at the other end of the timeline. The antagonist/antagonist development isn't as strong as other entries however. It's a ludicrously easy game, like most of the series. It really harks back to, and recaptures the feel of the first two entries especially, the camera perspective really helps with this too.

If you've finished and enjoyed the first and second games, 3 is the obvious choice just to continue/cap off the overall story, but 5 is a brilliant prequel. Hell, 5 was the game that gave me hope that the dev team still "had it", that we'd maybe still get more great Suikoden games in the future, but it never happened. For that reason, I feel 5 is a great choice to play last, to give the series a good send off.

Häyhä

Arbiter
Great little moment in Suikoden III:

So, I'm going through Kupit Forest in Hugo's 3rd Chapter and just fought the huge crab-like midboss thing. After quite a tough fight, but standing victorious, I wander through the forest and get to another battle with some spiders. And suddenly there's a vampirish guy fighting along with my party, just out of nowhere! Apparently Landis joins at random in one certain screen in the forest or something.

What a surprising twist in a genre not generally known for it's great innovations and usually sticking to traditional tropes. I don't think I've seen that in any other RPG before! Good stuff.

Terra

Cipher
Great little moment in Suikoden III:

So, I'm going through Kupit Forest in Hugo's 3rd Chapter and just fought the huge crab-like midboss thing. After quite a tough fight, but standing victorious, I wander through the forest and get to another battle with some spiders. And suddenly there's a vampirish guy fighting along with my party, just out of nowhere! Apparently Landis joins at random in one certain screen in the forest or something.

What a surprising twist in a genre not generally known for it's great innovations and usually sticking to traditional tropes. I don't think I've seen that in any other RPG before! Good stuff.
Suikoden 2 had
5 recruitable flying squirrels
obtained through the same means on the world map.

Häyhä

Arbiter
My fellow Stars of Destiny, has anyone played the Suikogaiden games and if you have, how are they? Are they any good? I know they are visual novels, is there any actual gameplay in them, fights or anything or is it just dialogue screens and still images? How are the fan-translations?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
My fellow Stars of Destiny, has anyone played the Suikogaiden games and if you have, how are they? Are they any good? I know they are visual novels, is there any actual gameplay in them, fights or anything or is it just dialogue screens and still images? How are the fan-translations?

They're purely VNs with the second one especially being neat fan service because it's set after Suikoden 2 ends and also gives us a brief glimpse into the Howling Voice Guild. There is some resource management in a sense you have luck points on the right side of the dialog window which can be used to enable certain choices. You'd pretty much need a guide to get everything out of it, though.

S2-G-Georg.jpg

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Between 3 and 5 I think 5 is the better starting point. But if you're willing to try the entire series, starting with 4 would probably be a good plan. It's definitely the weakest of the Suikodens, but it would give you some ideas and insights into the series, and everything after would be pure unadulterated incline.

Häyhä

Arbiter
They're purely VNs with the second one especially being neat fan service because it's set after Suikoden 2 ends and also gives us a brief glimpse into the Howling Voice Guild. There is some resource management in a sense you have luck points on the right side of the dialog window which can be used to enable certain choices. You'd pretty much need a guide to get everything out of it, though.

Thanks for the info. :salute: There's apparently a full English playthrough on YouTube so I guess I could sate my curiosity with that if I feel like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom