Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?

Zlaja

Arcane
If Morrowind is what got him into RPGs he should obviously play stuff like Gothic 1&2 after that. Another game that would fit well for his next game (after Morrowind) would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If Morrowind is what got him into RPGs he should obviously play stuff like Gothic 1&2 after that. Another game that would fit well for his next game (after Morrowind) would be Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Yes, we could certainly encourage him to explore more Open World RPGs similar to Morrowind, in which case he could look to its predecessor TES II: Daggerfall, with its vast procedurally-generated dungeons, or to Oblivion with Guns and Skillchecks Fallout: New Vegas, which is built on the Morrowind engine but is a sequel to the Codex's beloved Fallout 1/2, or to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which adapts the basic Open World RPG structure for a non-fantasy historical setting, and so forth. However, it might be better to encourage him to sample the various major subgenres of RPGs rather than devote himself solely to a single subgenre. From my list, he could experience not only Open World RPGs but also Rogue-likes (Rogue, obviously), Turn-based blobbers (Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar), Real-Time blobbers (Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, and Legend of Grimrock), Tactical RPGs (Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn), Underworld-likes (Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss), "Choice & Consequence"-heavy RPGs (Age of Decadence), and Action RPGs (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen).

kA3m1cp.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Recommending anything from the 80s to a newcomer is just taking the piss. Most of the oldfags around here don't even bother with games from the 80s.

Zlaja

Arcane
However, it might be better to encourage him to sample the various major subgenres of RPGs

He's just 17, tho. Might be wise to ease him in before bringing out the more complex stuff. That's why I mentioned games somewhat similar to Morrowind.

Mortmal

Arcane
I am 17 years old, and I recently got into The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and have been really enjoying it despite it being a year older than me. It's like I was made for this type of game, so I started to do research and found out about all the classics people love; Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on. I am excited that there are all these amazing games I've never played, but I don't know where to start. I picked up the first Fallout on GOG for $4.59 and am going to start that tomorrow, but besides that, I just want to know which RPGs should be in priority queue of my backlog.
Officialy look at the top 3, officiously just play skyrim like everyone else.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Deus Ex
Fallout
Witcher 1

Are probably my "safe" picks for RPGs with good-to-great gameplay that isn't likely to put you off of the genre and enough story to keep you interested if it turns out you're a storyfag. The only one that might give you any trouble will be Fallout, but if you like that kind of challenge then you can take a foray into JA2, Age of Decadence, ToEE, Arcanum, Wizardry, etc.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
...Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on...

Seems you made a good list yourself already. (Although I personally don't like Dragon Age very much).
Watch some lets plays on Youtube of these games and see if you can stomach the old grafix. Since you played Morrowind (unmodded?) I'm optimistic you can. Then start with the game that interests you most.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
...Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on...

Seems you made a good list yourself already. (Although I personally don't like Dragon Age very much).
Watch some lets plays on Youtube of these games and see if you can stomach the old grafix. Since you played Morrowind (unmodded?) I'm optimistic you can. Then start with the game that interests you most.
I can handle bad graphics, as long as you can tell what things are.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
Yes, we could certainly encourage him to explore more Open World RPGs similar to Morrowind, in which case he could look to its predecessor TES II: Daggerfall, with its vast procedurally-generated dungeons, or to Oblivion with Guns and Skillchecks Fallout: New Vegas, which is built on the Morrowind engine but is a sequel to the Codex's beloved Fallout 1/2, or to Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which adapts the basic Open World RPG structure for a non-fantasy historical setting, and so forth. However, it might be better to encourage him to sample the various major subgenres of RPGs rather than devote himself solely to a single subgenre. From my list, he could experience not only Open World RPGs but also Rogue-likes (Rogue, obviously), Turn-based blobbers (Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar), Real-Time blobbers (Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, and Legend of Grimrock), Tactical RPGs (Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn), Underworld-likes (Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss), "Choice & Consequence"-heavy RPGs (Age of Decadence), and Action RPGs (Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen).

kA3m1cp.png
Fallout: New Vegas, honestly I could never get into it, I am enjoying the first Fallout though. Just generally FPS RPG fusion isn't for me.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Wizardry IV and Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos are a good way to get started while you're still young enough to learn new things

The Jester

Cipher
I can see that Morii is escaping tags so far. Go play gorasul, it will help you on your journey one way or another

Wait did you mean Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon?
Oh sorry man, it was my mistake, i didn't get the joke

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
I would strongly recommend to speedhack the old classics, I was always annoyed at how slow some of them played.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I am 17 years old,

AHAHAHAHA

LOOK AT THIS LITTLE CUTIE BOY OOOH SO CUUUTE

HANS! HANS! GET THE CAMERA AND TAKE A PICTURE UND THE CUTIEBOY

COME HERE CUTIE BOY LET ME PINCH CHEEKS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom