Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fellowship Saga - 5e OGL-based blobber from Sir-Tech veteran

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Looks like something a Chinese asset flip studio would shit out in 1 month.

Oh wait a second ... this developer is Canadian...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So what, it took him 2 years instead ?
Also, some sound effects looks really familiar but i have no idea how it works, did they fall under public domain, are they part of legit SE packages?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This game is a funny mixture of good & bad
  • Wizardry 8 combat
    incline.png
  • Skyrim quest compass
    decline.png
  • sterile lifeless UI
    decline.png
Also the art direction is painfully generic but w/e

xuerebx

Erudite
I've played the demo for a while. The text is too small on my monitor (1920x1080, 17") and there isn't an option to increase the size, and when the party members speak together the dialogue box is too damn small! The controls also feel clunky, with using the WASD, the arrow keys, and the mouse - you have to shift your hands around during combat.

And tooltips are really needed, I haveno idea what the options in the character creation screen do. What stats/skills does strength influence? What are 'history' and 'insight'? I'm assuming these are missing because it's a demo.

cosmicray

Savant
I've never played that type of game, but why can't you use mouse to actually pick commands during combat? It's turn based anyway.

xuerebx

Erudite
I've never played that type of game, but why can't you use mouse to actually pick commands during combat? It's turn based anyway.

It should be fixed in a future update since everyone commenting on the demo told the developer to allow mouse functionality.

Bara

Arcane

Holy shit what is with the Barkeep in the back. Is that what magic steroids look like in D&D? What is that a +40 to STR?

Barring that as I wont have time to play the game till the end of the week hows gameplay if one gets passed the tiny UI and janky controls?

xuerebx

Erudite
I noticed The Incredible Hulk after I posted the screenshot, that's some serious lard-muscle.

To be honest I didn't play the game too much to form an opinion - it's certainly got a ways to go before it feels polished. The developer works on his own but he has acknowledged the points I made above, and other points raised by other players, and he intends to fix them. I believe the game can be fun but not being able to use the mouse was infuriating (and there was no option menu explaining what the keyboard shortcuts are) so I was bashing the keyboard trying to see what works. After maybe 30 min I saved the game and exited, and when I loaded the game back up I could only start a new game. Not sure if this was a bug or something went wrong from my end.

If the demo isn't removed I'll try another go sometime this week. I can't comment on whether it's faithful to any D&D rules though since I'm not privy to the details of the rulesets.

EDIT: the loading thing was a bug, seems to be fixed now.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I believe the game can be fun but not being able to use the mouse was infuriating (and there was no option menu explaining what the keyboard shortcuts are) so I was bashing the keyboard trying to see what works. After maybe 30 min I saved the game and exited, and when I loaded the game back up I could only start a new game.

Ah, the bliss of playing an alpha release...

xuerebx

Erudite
Some more feedback (not relating tot he gameplay as such), copy/pasting from what I wrote to the dev.

- the inclusion of a quest compass on top is a bit strange for this type of game reminiscing old-school RPGs. In the end such a compass will diminish the beauty of exploration. Maybe an option to turn off - as long as the game itself gives enough information to the player to know where to go? (e.g. "kobolds are attacking my farm, just north of here" vs. "kobolds are attacking my farm" and the location being then marked on the compass)

- since there is no voice acting (not a problem at all), but the text dialogue is being in first person with the NPC opening his mouth and gesturing without any sound and it's quite jarring. I'm not sure how to fix this however.

- keyboard shortcuts are needed e.g. pressing J to open the journal. It currently looks like the game was developed with using a controller in mind.

NPC451

Literate
What asset pack are these characters from, they look shockingly familiar.
Or are they auto generated from via MakeHuman or some other similar tool?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1281290/view/2742082280040482411

New User Interface!

Our user interface has been updated - the main new feature is mouse/cursor mode. This kicks in during combat and removes the need to navigate actions using keys.
This update also fixes a few bugs which were found during the Summer Game Festival.

While old saved games should load we recommend starting a new game.

Also release date is now March 2nd.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good. The demo was pretty cool with my biggest issue being the controls.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is this still alive?
Can't find any website/social media presence for the developer, last update was in 2020.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom