Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Druken Fist is great

RBLCuZJ.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Druken Fist is great

RBLCuZJ.png

How is the game? Structure wise is it more Dark Souls (big mostly open world divided into areas) or Ni Oh (stage based)?

Is there any narrative elements (like Heluo games or heck, even Ni Oh) or is it mostly non-existent with just lore like in Dark Souls?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Game is divided into chapters each with its own area. Once a chapter is finished you can't return.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
So abnaxus , which of these translated Chinese RPGs that have you played do you reccomend?

You can put Heluo out of the picture because I think everybody knows them by now.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
o1aM20j.jpg

F67w5ij.jpg

Finished Fate Seeker. It's about as gud as Ho Tu Lo Shu.

You may think from gameplay videos this is a Diablo clone in wuxia setting but nothing could be further from the truth. Combat is actually quite infrequent, it’s more of an adventure game with rpg elements. Most of the time you’ll be talking to people and figuring out what items you need to progress in quests and to gain/master new martial skills. There’s a rumor system that gives a hint on where to start looking (many activities in the game are also tied to stat checks). In fact certain boss fights can be ended immediately if you have the right item, which is p. neat.

It is a highly story driven, companion focused game (if Ho Tu Lo Shu feels like a Piranha Bytes game, this one feels like an amalgam of BioWare/Larian game). There’s a canon harem ending that is difficult to avoid if you play through the game normally doing every quest. All gurls are likable but the pink gurl you meet at the beginning of the game is the best, really (the translation can’t seem to decide whether her first name is Ying, Yuan, Zhou, Zhang or Mei, I think it should be Shen).

Translation is good enough to play it to completion. Obviously it still needs to be manually cleaned up like Ho Tu Lo Shu translation but this will probably not happen as the amount of text is very high. There are some puzzles related to Chink poems and Chink characters that are likely impossible to translate, but what can you do.

Having played through this one and Heluo games also made me appreciate Wind Road more. Most of these wuxia games are quite light-hearted in tone but Wind Road has a more darker, down-to-earth feel.

I will play Fate Seeker 2.

Jinn

Arcane
It's about as gud as Ho Tu Lo Shu.

That's a pretty resounding endorsement. I'll probably be picking it up sometime shortly after finishing Ho Tu Lo Shu then.

Thanks as always for your thoughts, abnaxus. Much appreciated.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/jou...-black-myth-wu-kong-announced-for-consoles-pc
PCTOP
Journey to the West-themed action RPG Black Myth: Wu Kong announced for consoles, PC
13-minute gameplay trailer released.

Sal Romano Aug 20, 2020 at 1:45 AM EDT
Black-Myth-Wu-Kong_08-20-20.jpg
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/jou...black-myth-wu-kong-announced-for-consoles-pc#

Game Science, the Chinese studio behind multiplayer strategy game Art of War: Red Tides, has announced Journey to the West-themed single-player action RPG Black Myth: Wu Kong for “all mainstream consoles and PC.” Cloud platforms that can run the game smoothly are also being considered.

In a FAQ on the game’s official website, Game Science shed light on a few popular topics, including:

—How long is the game and will there will be more heroes or an online mode?

Game Science: “Currently no comment on this. What weighs on our minds the most is that [studio head and game director] Yocar really loves playing console action games full of tangible and solid stories, variations of jobs / weapons experience, and support for an online co-op mode…”

—When will the game release?

Game Science: “While we will not necessarily need 500 years finish (Editor’s Note: This is a reference to Journey to the West, in which the Monkey King was imprisoned beneath Wu Zhi Shan mountain for 500 years), we will ship it only when we feel satisfied as players. But we will also consider performance and cost ratio, as well as marginal effect. After all, more works in the Black Myth series are in serious planning (in our dreams).”

Game Science is currently hiring staff to work on the title. When it launches, Black Myth: Wu Kong will be a one-time paid purchase, but the developer will not rule out the possibility of downloadable content or in-game purchases in the future. (Though said in-game purchases would not include growth boost or competitive advantage content.)

Watch a 13-minute gameplay trailer and scenery video below. View the first screenshots at the gallery. Visit the official YouTube channel here.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I've played and beaten Tale of Wuxia (original and [pre]sequel) multiple times, and now I'm trying to scratch that ongoing itch for chinese martial arts RPGs. Someone here posted really favorable impressions regarding Ho Tu Lo Shu (third game from ToW devs) so I tried it.

I don't get it, what's the appeal? It's like someone copy pasted an Elder Scrolls open world and cranked the Athletics up 2x. I just run around talking to everything that moves in case they have a quest rather than something mundane to say about their village. This would all be tolerable, if not for the fact that combat is a slog. I'm basically spamming the same move over and over again. The core of it has potential (with the use of energy, positioning, range; it should be very tactical) but it's wasted on its repetition.

Does this get better? Will I find a benefit to not spamming the same skill every time? My initial talent build is Stupid so I have that talent that boosts your attack skill if you use it more than 3 times in a row. It's really powerful but it's also making me fall asleep at the keyboard.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I've played and beaten Tale of Wuxia (original and [pre]sequel) multiple times, and now I'm trying to scratch that ongoing itch for chinese martial arts RPGs. Someone here posted really favorable impressions regarding Ho Tu Lo Shu (third game from ToW devs) so I tried it.

I don't get it, what's the appeal? It's like someone copy pasted an Elder Scrolls open world and cranked the Athletics up 2x. I just run around talking to everything that moves in case they have a quest rather than something mundane to say about their village. This would all be tolerable, if not for the fact that combat is a slog. I'm basically spamming the same move over and over again. The core of it has potential (with the use of energy, positioning, range; it should be very tactical) but it's wasted on its repetition.

Does this get better? Will I find a benefit to not spamming the same skill every time? My initial talent build is Stupid so I have that talent that boosts your attack skill if you use it more than 3 times in a row. It's really powerful but it's also making me fall asleep at the keyboard.

The thing is out of all Heluo games I think HTLS is the best combat and martial art system-wise. If those are a miss for you than I am not sure whether you will like the game. Maybe try to use other starting skill trees than Stupid? And what difficulty are you playing on? In general when you start fighting actual martial artists instead of some poor schmuck bandit the game difficulty will start to increase. At that point, simple damage race often won't cut it. In my experience until you reach late-game moves that are basically kamehamehas, debuffs are king in HTLS. Having varied movesets helps when you try to cripple enemies with various debuffs.

It depends on how much you like the jankiness of the exploration but exploration in HTLS is also rewarding to some degree, unlike modern open-world games that just have markers on everything important. The world is also reactive to the sequence of events so there are content that can be permanently loss depending on stages of some other quests. Doing something in one area might result in unlocking other stuff in unrelated areas. Honestly, it is one of the few modern open-world games that I enjoy. Being an open world, the game is also reactive to you doing some sequence breaking stuff so it is very nice to see that the game acknowledges you doing the sequences breaking.

The game is also reactive to your choices and alignments. There is stuff that is strictly locked behind your alignment but is not marked at all so one playthrough being Good and Evil can have different outcomes at different points in the game.

Jinn

Arcane
Ho Tu Lo Shu also has some very cool quest design too in some cases. I'd recommend collapsing your mini map in the top right and only following markers when you're confused by the translation.

The character building and combat are excellent. I can't really see how anyone who enjoys tactical turn-based combat wouldn't like it unless they're playing on Easy or something. Beyond that, the amount of combat skills you can learn is essentially unlimited, though focusing on two weapon types is probably the best route. You'll eventually run out of spots on your hot bar for all the stuff you'll be able to use. It sounds like you've only played for a few hours with one of the starting martial art forms. Give it some time to open up.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Since HTLS is still getting regular patches I like to think Path of Wuxia is just a lazy slamdunk while they're working on something much more worthy.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Since HTLS is still getting regular patches I like to think Path of Wuxia is just a lazy slamdunk while they're working on something much more worthy.

Eh replaying Path of Wuxia again it is not that bad honestly. It is pretty much ToW with a lot of quality of life tweak. Rather too simple on the martial system side of thing but certainly not bad or lazy. And they probably went for simpler game due to the fact that they are nearly bankrupt.

But yeah I would also like to play conventional RPG by Heluo like HTLS or Pre-Sequel because both are also great.

Jinn

Arcane
Sands of Salzaar is getting an official English translation on September 22nd! I've been very much so looking forward to playing it. I'll probably buy it on the 22nd to support the localization efforts, but continue to wait for it to exit early access before I actually get into it. Anyway, thought some people around here might be happy to see the news.

Fri, September 4
English localization update coming soon!
Our English version will be launching on Sept. 22, with a slew of new storylines, full mod support, and multiplayer maps

youtube_16x9_placeholder.gif

Hey all,

We are very excited to announce that our English language launch date is confirmed! You will be able to play the English version on September 22, alongside a rich variety of new content!

Since the Early Access launch on Jan. 3 this year, our game has seen a series of major updates adding new characters, crossover events, side quests and modding functions, while this time's update will be even more unprecedented:

48fd49f83e2dc145395dbaa0b9cc9edc47065d88.png

RICH NARRATIVE
The upcoming English version will feature a full translation of nearly 500,000 words, together with new story content including 30 new quests. The game tells a desert epic tale in the Orient where the Old Empire has fallen amid the Battle of the Black Sun, leaving five warring tribes fighting over territories and treasures, while greater disasters are awaiting…

3f2ba8bf3cbce6c3c8b12bd2fa679b33b8a157da.gif

OPEN DESERT WORLD
Alongside the main storyline, you roam around the huge map and explore six vast regions of distinct landscapes, you can plot your own rise from a nobody to a powerful warlord, a knight-errant, a notorious bandit, or a shrewd merchant...In our English update, multiple in-game values will be adjusted to optimize the mid/late open-world gaming experience.

527f938d085bb147a1c108b37c159f9364ea5fcc.gif

BATTLE & STRATEGY
Sands of Salzaar features both large-scale wars and skirmishes. In top-down real-time combat, you fight hostile forces, besiege their bases, explore perilous dungeons for loots and hunt wild beasts. You can recruit and upgrade your basic combat arms into elite troops, customize your hero’s skill trees, and deploy your armies to slay the foes!

dd0fd987fe7b3bee8a2ac03c18da200cf63acd1b.gif

HIGH REPLAYABILITY
With each playthrough, you become stronger and discover different questlines, using Legacy points to unlock bonus characters, abilities, and rare items. Every time you play, a new adventure unfolds.

6d8b84def30aee72c9440676f9261ea1697100d2.gif

FULL MODDING SUPPORT
Our game includes full mod support via Steam Workshop, with hundreds of mods adding a variety of in-game perks, new characters, and custom maps. The mod editor will soon support multiplayer as well with official example maps allowing you to embark on the battlefield with your pals.

Also, our English beta test is now underway. Don’t miss out. Come join us on our Discord (https://discord.gg/q5r9PEy) to apply for the playtest!

Cheers,
Sand of Salzaar’s team

Jinn

Arcane
Sands of Salzaar English version is released today, and with a nice discount!

After looking a little more closely at the status of the Early Access, I've discovered that the game is indeed playable from start to finish in its current state, and there is apparently even a "legacy" system that carries some progress between playthroughs. I might just go ahead and start playing it now and see what kind of shape it's in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom