Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The reason we don't see more historical RPGs is because they all suck

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't say Darklands is an "authentic historical RPG", if "authentic" refers to "historical".
But a really "authentic historical RPG" without magic would probably be boring, and (like for example JA2 which is otherwise great) have a very limited assortment of enemies.
But I would like to see more CRPGs like Darklands, that mix myth and history successfully.

mondblut

Arcane
I wouldn't say Darklands is an "authentic historical RPG", if "authentic" refers to "historical".
But a really "authentic historical RPG" without magic would probably be boring, and (like for example JA2 which is otherwise great) have a very limited assortment of enemies.
But I would like to see more CRPGs like Darklands, that mix myth and history successfully.

JA2 at least simulates a plenty of magic effects via heavy weapons and grenades.

Fully realistic medieval RPG would play like Temple of Trials: the game. Yawn.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The middle ages pretty much sucked.

It was cold in winter, no heating with you constantly were hungry, 30 year old women were old hags who smelled from the mouth and men wore iron armor that itched like hell.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Idiot.

Jagged Alliance 2 doesn't need 200+ monsters because it has lots of TACTICS.

Besides:

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

bloodcats2.jpg

tank.jpg

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
The ever more prominent digital hellholes we inhabit are far worse psychologically and spiritually, and if you decide to IRL, you'll get trannies reading books to children and faggots running around in the streets or perhaps the kindly military age muslim refugee who's just looking for a better life. If that's not enough, you'll encounter a complete breakdown of social fabric via apathy and absence of any kind of moral or traditional values. It's all relativism this and hedonism that.
The middle ages were the peak of human civilization.
We should have known when to stop.
The industrial revolution and the enlightenment are the two worst mistakes in the history of mankind.
Okay.
Слава Богу!
150356.jpg

But hey bro, look at it on the bright side, your nation and society might be completely fucked, but at least you're not cold during winter, you've got plenty of chemically enginereed shit to eat, and thots will twerk their asses at you in nightclubs.
What a great time to be alive.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The ever more prominent digital hellholes we inhabit are far worse psychologically and spiritually, and if you decide to IRL, you'll get trannies reading books to children and faggots running around in the streets or perhaps the kindly military age muslim refugee who's just looking for a better life. If that's not enough, you'll encounter a complete breakdown of social fabric via apathy and absence of any kind of moral or traditional values. It's all relativism this and hedonism that.

It must be so boring, being a conservative...

Harthwain

Magister
I disagree it would be boring.

Variety can come from equipment and how the combat mechanic is done. Having different factions with unique styles is another way of handing different enemies on another level. You can still play as a rogue in any historical setting. You'd be missing out on spells, but a lot of games don't really use spells for cool interactions anyway (which is the only reason to even consider having magic, in my opinion. Magic used as pure combat tool is simply barbaric). Fantasy races can be easily substituted with social backgrounds (and nationalities). You can also decide if you want firearms to be a thing, depending on time period.

So, really, you aren't missing all that much by having authentic historical RPG without magic.

oscar

Arcane
Without fantastical elements a historical RPG pretty much lives or dies on having a robust and realistic-feeling tactical combat system (and how many RPGs in general have that?). Otherwise you just have a limited setting where you're whacking Mongols or Saxons or instead of goblins (and don't have wizards). Plus it opens up the devs to lots of endless knight vs samurai autism and "noo you included a plate armour variant that wasn't invented until 1474 not 1448!" restrictions for not much gain.

Low-magic and historically inspired RPGs are generally the best of both worlds (Battle Brothers, Age of Decadence).

It must be so boring, being a conservative...

Not at all. Someone has to drag the rest, kicking and screaming, out of the darkness.

OldNorseSaga

Learned
Oh, please....
I read fantasy, watch fatansy movies, and play fantasy games. I'm able to enjoy other genres, but I'm fantasy gal and I don't hide it
When it comes to authentic historical RPG, I have no desire to play that, but as side game.

overly excitable young man

I thought about it the last few days and certain historical periods can only be molded very badly into an rpg.

E.g. historical thirty years war or napoleonic wars without any magic or monsters.
Stuff like that would work much better as HoMM like game but even then the fantasy setting has too much advantages.

Even with lots of combat tricks musket-, pike- and cavallery combat would be extremely boring.
Also the implementation of artillery is hard even when your party is as big as 16 chars.
Mages are a much more balanced falconet.

You basically would have to ignore a lot of history to make combat fun and if it's like that why not invent your own fantasy setting already?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Name one authentic historical RPG that is in RPGCodex's top 70 list

Name one authentic historical RPG period.

Seems to me you are conflating historical RPGs not being made often with them not being good in principle. If historical RPGs were made as frequently as fantasy ones you'd have a point but since they aren't your argument is nonsensical.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The middle ages were the peak of human civilization.
We should have known when to stop.
The industrial revolution and the enlightenment are the two worst mistakes in the history of mankind.
Okay.
Слава Богу!
150356.jpg

But hey bro, look at it on the bright side, your nation and society might be completely fucked, but at least you're not cold during winter, you've got plenty of chemically enginereed shit to eat, and thots will twerk their asses at you in nightclubs.
What a great time to be alive.

Granted, modern life is so complex, capitalism sucks*, human's spiritual need is systematically neglected, and in general our instincts are being screw up everyday, it makes sense to wonder that living in constant hunger and the possibility of dying because of influenza might be better than the life we're living today. But it is pretty obvious that you're one of those repressed homosexuals by looking at your priorities in that 2018 newfag post.

*Ha ha

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
But it is pretty obvious that you're one of those repressed homosexuals by looking at your priorities in that 2018 newfag post.
Am I supposed to know what you're referring to?

Anyone longing for a life without antibiotics or having fresh food and water available 24/7 at cozy temperature while you have infinite entertainment options is free to move to remote areas of third world countries where life is still effectively two centuries behind and report back when they get internet access again.

Also, Darklands and Kingdom Come have magic potions.

overly excitable young man

Kingdom Come was really great.
But the fact stands that fun historical tb squad based combat wasn't done before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom