Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Horrible Truth about RPGs

That can't be it right?

• But what about Skyrim? That's not an Adventure Game right? You can go anywhere, anytime!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
RPG are superior to Adventure games due to no Walking Dead scenarios, and offering much more freedom and variery in problem solving. EDIT: And of course character development.

Last edited:

moleman

Arbiter
Patron

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
RPGs are just Adventure Games WITH a Combat System tacked on.

Adventure games are visuals novels with puzzles tacked on

Visual novels are books with pictures tacked on

Books are just campfire stories tacked on paper

Campfire stories are just regular stories told at a campfire.

I accept regular story as the root of all RPGs

e9793f5c016455fb39bf06aa891e6306.gif

Dramart

Learned
Maybe, it's not a bad definition, that explains the storyfags who hate games with good combat like BG2, KotOR, Dark souls, but love the ones with trash easy combat for dimwits and fingers made of wood, like Fallout and Morrowind.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Maybe, it's not a bad definition, that explains the storyfags who hate games with good combat like BG2, KotOR, Dark souls, but love the ones with trash easy combat for dimwits and fingers made of wood, like Fallout and Morrowind.

If you had mentioned actual RPGs with good combat like KotC or Temple of Elemental Evil you may have had a point

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Based.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
RPG are superior to Adventure games due to no Walking Dead scenarios, and offering much more freedom and variery in problem solving. EDIT: And of course character development.

Realms of Arkania series has several tasteful walking dead scenarios.

When you forget about warm clothing, herbs and such, and your party is out in the wilderness?
I can still remember my gaming buddy being close to tears when that happened to him.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Realms of Arkania series has several tasteful walking dead scenarios.

When you forget about warm clothing, herbs and such, and your party is out in the wilderness?
I can still remember my gaming buddy being close to tears when that happened to him.

No, not mechanics related. Just walking dead scenarios. Don't remember the details, but there was one in a temple (if you steal gold you'll never be able to leave it), another on a ghost ship, also in Star Trail if you don't find the thieves of the important gem, you cannot continue until the end, because a plot critical item is removed from the game.

Dramart

Learned

If you had mentioned actual RPGs with good combat like KotC or Temple of Elemental Evil you may have had a point
I've named RPGs with good combat. TOEE is one I want to play in the future it seems very good. KotC I've seen it's very liked here, for now I just watched a video of it, and well, I'm not a graphic whore but it looks like a vomit of colors, but if the prestigious Codex say it's great I will play it some day.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I've named RPGs with good combat.

Lol, no

Brancaleone

Liturgist
RPGs are just Adventure Games WITH a Combat System tacked on.

Adventure games are visuals novels with puzzles tacked on

Visual novels are books with pictures tacked on

Books are just campfire stories tacked on paper

Let's try another route.

Books are just paper with words tacked on.

Paper is just trees with kaolin tacked on.

Trees are just sticks with leaves tacked on.

So ultimately RPG's are combat-on-a-stick.

Curratum

Exploration whores, ahoy! I would play anything that has an interesting and large world that can be explored, even if it barely has stats or combat, e.g. Red Dead 2, where you have 3 stats and progressively better weapons that you can upgrade. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom