Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What character Types/Classes you used to love but now you don't?

eXalted

Arcane
I loved playing Rogues and similar classes, now it seems I no longer have the patience to play such characters. Or maybe because most of the RPGs just have stealth as an afterthought.

Also good-hearted characters. Used to always take the "good" option when doing quests, now I just can't stand when a game has a "karma" bar now I must fill to unlock content.

So yeah, what type of characters you used to love playing in the past but then you realized that you no longer enjoy / they actually suck / you burned out of playing / etc.?

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I was a druid boy for the longest time before they somehow became "the shapeshifter class" across tabletop, CRPGs, and MMOs. Weird transition. Surely it better fits shamans, if anything.

Old Hans

Arcane
in the past I always made heavy armor tank type warrior, but lately I seem to drift towards the rogue type who is usually a hobbit or halfling named Bilbo Wagons

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Like probably too many people, I used to build "diplomat" type characters, but lately I've been enjoying full combat builds more (Like most people who actually enjoys RPG end up doing). After all, the combat mechanic is a major part of a game's content, I'm missing out if I never made a combat build.

As for traditional classes, I used to admire the rogue and similar classes because I consider them the obermensch classes. It turns out barbarians are the real obermensch in the fantasy genre.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Archers/Rangers.
They never not suck.
At least they're not as bad as Paladins.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rangers suck.
Moved over to Warlock in NWN2, but they sucked as well.
Then tried Ranger and Warlock-type class in PF:K and found myself in that terrible situation (like in DOW2) where the party members are more fun than my main character.

Suffered a bit of a class identity crisis as a result, and tried for some time to focus on not sucking.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

So went back to play Witcher 1. And there's my answer: the Witcher class does not suck. Will likely go fighter/mage/thief in the future. Maybe elements of Ranger for nostalgia's sake.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Used to like Necromancers, or at least the idea of Necromancers. Then I completed Diablo 2 with all classes, and the Necro was easily the least enjoyable one.

I'm slowly drifting away from wizards, as RPG systems have relentlessly tempered their appeal, while lavishing other classes with magical or quasi-magical abilities. As far as character types, I used to really like taking the evil paths. Now that I'm no longer a maladjusted misanthropic youth, I can't say I've found many evil choices amusing. Mask of the Betrayer was probably the last time I recall preferring evil characters/play-throughs.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Evil/dark casters of any kind. I used to be an edgelord.

Used to like Necromancers, or at least the idea of Necromancers. Then I completed Diablo 2 with all classes, and the Necro was easily the least enjoyable one.

But it is the easiest experience, from what I remember.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Used to be a pure martial kind of guy, no faggot magic users, idol-worshipers, or nigger classes. Then started to drift more and more into magic. Always try to make my first character in a game some kind of gish these, with more emphasis on magic than martial. Necromancy is gross and gay btw. Pick a real school of magic you degenerates, like conjuration or transmutation.

V_K

Arcane
Summoning-focused mages. First, in newer games they are increasingly more often charisma-based or of shaman archetypes (or both), neither of which I can condone. Second, I got disenchanted with how summons in most RPGs are purely combat fodder. Very few games make them interesting the way Ultima 8 or Beyond Oasis did.

overly excitable young man

Used to always play Wizards but those noobs can't even wear plate armor.
Clerics are much cooler.

The Jester

Cipher
Heavy armored Orc with specializing in war hammers, Now I play human Paladin most of the time.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Summoning-focused mages. First, in newer games they are increasingly more often charisma-based or of shaman archetypes (or both), neither of which I can condone. Second, I got disenchanted with how summons in most RPGs are purely combat fodder. Very few games make them interesting the way Ultima 8 or Beyond Oasis did.

Summoner mages are one of the few fun things in Skyrim but yes totally agree with you on this.

D&D-wise I used to use Mage+Cleric a lot (originally as the half-elven multi-class), but now I use more mage+fighter probably because I feel that the Cleric (in PC games) always tends towards being overpowered from a game perspective.

V_K

Arcane
Summoner mages are one of the few fun things in Skyrim but yes totally agree with you on this.
I ended up going mostly for illusion in Skyrim - I guess the one good thing to come out of them ditching attributes is that illusion is not charisma-based anymore.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This, purely for throwing more meat at my opponents back in the day. These days, if a game offers the option at all its rarely useful. And in the old games I rarely desire to protect myself in such a way anymore.

Tigranes

Arcane
When I was 12, obviously every character was a mage or a ghosting assassin. Since then I have broadened my horizons to embrace many different kinds of murderhobos.

I've also grown more fond of monks and barbarians over time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

But it is the easiest experience, from what I remember.

That may be so, at least with the newer patches that make the skellies more durable, but the problem was that the game felt too much like a RTS game.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I used to NEVER play fighter types. With 1st and 2nd edition D&D in mind, Clerics, Wizards had to suck at lower levels but grow in to gods at higher level while fighters didn't gain much. Due to the current shitty straight line development of classes - now every class gains equal power at equal levels. This sucks, but now I play whatever class can use the most loot, so I end up with Paladins or Fighters. This is a sad day for everyone.

Alex

Arcane
I used to like playing as a wizard with all kinds of weird spells that could be used in unpredictable and creative ways. Nowadays, however... I still like to play the exact same thing. It is just that I rarely get the opportunity since most spells in games are just attacks of some kind with a slightly different damage type and defence mechanism (if you are lucky).

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
For D&D-type settings I used to like Rangers and Bards a lot, and be more into dual-wield Dex build types. In BG2, for example, I liked playing a Stalker or a Blade a lot.
Now of course my tastes run more to the patrician so I prefer Str builds, usually using a 2-handed weapon. Plate-armored gishes are my favorite, but Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins, and Clerics can work too.
As far as casters go, I used to like blaster or summoner types more. Now my favorite is an Abjurer anti-magic type.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I used to play Rogue or Cleric type characters.

While I don't mind changing things up, these days, I mostly play an unarmed character whenever feasible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom