Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was always interested what the fuck do you mean by API in this context? How is Application Programming Interface applies to the so called RPGs?

Ass Pain Inducing?

overly excitable young man

No, I am very much a teenager and am willing to do what I can to prove it. I know it seems weird me getting in to all this old stuff, but I can only attribute it to me liking games which don't hold your hand and that don't try to be more like a movie, plus I've always been in Sci-Fi and High Fantasy, and loved the concept of stuff like D&D but never had the resources. As for Wizardry, obviously it's not going to have me addicted like Morrowind or The Witcher might but I'm sure I could have some fun with it.
You know you aren't obligated to play those games to please the codex. In fact most of the people here talk about them day and night just to be an edgy progamer but they haven't played any of them and they mostly play AAA popamoles.
Play what you want and what games fit the most with your tastes.
We can't decide for you.
You have to be a complete autist to enjoy Wizardry 1-5 in 2020.
So i'm not sure if people here are outright lying about their fun with it or if they're really having that mental precondition.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
No, I am very much a teenager and am willing to do what I can to prove it. I know it seems weird me getting in to all this old stuff, but I can only attribute it to me liking games which don't hold your hand and that don't try to be more like a movie, plus I've always been in Sci-Fi and High Fantasy, and loved the concept of stuff like D&D but never had the resources. As for Wizardry, obviously it's not going to have me addicted like Morrowind or The Witcher might but I'm sure I could have some fun with it.
You know you aren't obligated to play those games to please the codex. In fact most of the people here talk about them day and night just to be an edgy progamer but they haven't played any of them and they mostly play AAA popamoles.
Play what you want and what games fit the most with your tastes.
We can't decide for you.
You have to be a complete autist to enjoy Wizardry 1-5 in 2020.
So i'm not sure if people here are outright lying about their fun with it or if they really have that mentally precondition.

The only fun the ultimate gamer needs it's winning a game with "harsh rules", the adrenaline baby.

But Wizardry isnt hard just an annoying drag.
Now if you beat actual hard games that involved skill like Castlevania 3 (cause rpgs don't lets be honest) or Ghosts'n Goblins then i would get it.

And i know you old fucks don't want to hear it but any From Game is harder than your old boring shit.

It's designed after the concept of: "How many hours can we get out of the little content we created?"
If that isn't a drag i dunno what is.

You could have very well created Fallout where you can only heal up in Vault 13.
Sadly those noobs werent hardcore enough to do that.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
But Wizardry isnt hard just an annoying drag.
Now if you beat actual hard games that involved skill like Castlevania 3 (cause rpgs don't lets be honest) or Ghosts'n Goblins then i would get it.

And i know you old fucks don't want to hear it but any From Game is harder than your old boring shit.

At least mention a game a could not beat.

Well, I never played something from From, but I beated numerous times the Dark Souls of platformers with all gems, I think it counts. :M

It's designed after the concept of: "How many hours can we get out of the little content we created?"

Like Ghost 'n Goblins and Castlevania 3? :lol:

Off Topic: Did you know that Megaman designer made the game thinking that games were actually too difficult at the time, so he made enemy placement and patterns a bit more fair?, knowing that it's a bit triggering when you discover some entitled gamer youtubers saying that nes games were bad designed because they were made hard on purpose to extend the hours of play.

Last edited:

Like Ghost 'n Goblins and Castlevania 3? :lol:

Off Topic: Did you know that Megaman designer made the game thinking that games were actually too difficult at the time, so he made enemy placement and patterns a bit more fair?, knowing that it's a bit triggering when you discover some entitled gamer youtubers saying that nes games were bad designed because they were made hard on purpose to extend the hours of play.
It's about scale: Wizardry is blowing a 10 hour game up to 30 hours and Castlevania 3 is a 2 hour game blown up to 4.
Basically the same but you can still finish the fucking game in a sitting.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
I am 17 years old, and I recently got into The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and have been really enjoying it despite it being a year older than me. It's like I was made for this type of game, so I started to do research and found out about all the classics people love; Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic, Planescape: Torment, Gothic, Dragon Age, and it goes on an on. I am excited that there are all these amazing games I've never played, but I don't know where to start. I picked up the first Fallout on GOG for $4.59 and am going to start that tomorrow, but besides that, I just want to know which RPGs should be in priority queue of my backlog.
Play Fallout 1, Arcanum, Underrail, Pathfinder Kingmaker (with Turn Based mod...or wait till v2.0 TB comes out officially), Planescape Torment, Geneforge 2, Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade
Once you finished these try Age of Decadence, Try Tales of Maj'Eyal, Wizardry 6 & Wizardry 7

These are modern games which you should be able to digest nicely.
  • Fallout 1, Arcanum - have shit combat but amazing quest/world design. Classless Sandbox.
  • Underrail - has serviceable minimalist plot with amazing world design/exploration and awesome combat. Classless gated exploration heaven. Amazing non-scripted C&C based on Character build.
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker - meh and derpy plot a decent combat, lots of character variation and frankly the only modern swallow-able d20 game. Class system and d20.
  • Planescape Torment - shit combat. Great story. If you like this the best, better go play classic Sierra Adventure Games.
  • Geneforge 2 - Very unique RPG where you create monsters as your party members. Geneforge 2 is my favorite. But you can't go wrong with any of these honestly. But 2 is a very good pick for just one game in the series. Geneforge 2 has the best Choice and Consequence in the series.
  • Vampire the Bloodlines: Masquerade - What if a Hollywood movie was made into an RPG? This is the result. No particular aspect is spectacular; but all the aspects come together for an experience greater than the sum of its parts. Also what vampires should be represented as rather than the gay sparkly shit poplar these days.
  • Age of Decadance - Fair Warning extremely punishing unless you know what you are doing. Without reading guides for builds and stuff, you are gonna die repeatedly unless you learn the game system. Zero Exploration. Amazing Scripted Choice & Consequence. Low Fantasy. Punishing Difficulty even for number-crunching RPG Veterans if they go in blind. But beating it with your own build is extremely rewarding. But there is no shame in reading up a guide about your intended playstyle after dying several dozen times if the alternative is dropping this gem in frustration.
  • Tales of Maj'Eyal - A very modern and accessible Rogue-like on the market. Expect to die a lot.
  • Wizardry 6,7 - Blobbers. Very Fun. Make a party, kill stuff and loot treasure in FP mode. If you are open to emulation or playing console game remake. Elminage Original and Elminage Gothic are excellent candidates to try in place of Wizardry 6/7 for a more modern experience.
Play these 11, and decide which game you like and then ask for classic reccos depending on which aspect of which game you liked and wanna get hit again.

AND Jesus Christ Codex, wtf is wrong with you dicks. Recommending a teen newcomer to obscure 80's game? WTF man.
I agree with your information, and just a secret between you and me *whispers* I'm loving Fallout 1's combat.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
I'll pretend this is a genuine 17-year-old asking a genuine question...

Baldur's Gate 1+2
Dark Souls 1+2
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Grimrock 1+2
Planescape Torment
The Witcher 3

If you're feeling brave, also play Fallout 1+2, Might and Magic 7 and Lands of Lore 1.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
17 yo who wants to play old RPGs?

62715648.jpg

I dunno man I used to play Dark Sun on my hand-me-down tincan of a computer when I was la kid. It was glorious.

There are kids like that. We should keep ourselves open on the low chance he is not a troll.

One of my colleague's alcoholic 17 year old son was given Pokemon Sapphire by me for time-pass during (((corona))) lockdown and a way to deal with his withdrawal. He enjoyed it immensely and asked me for similar games not necessarily pokemon but where you can play monsters and stuff. I gave him Geneforge and his dad is abusing me for getting him into games.
Not a troll, if I was I'd be saying controversial things to get reactions. Again, anyone who don't believe me, I'll willing to do what I can to prove it.

The Jester

Cipher
17 yo who wants to play old RPGs?

62715648.jpg

I dunno man I used to play Dark Sun on my hand-me-down tincan of a computer when I was la kid. It was glorious.

There are kids like that. We should keep ourselves open on the low chance he is not a troll.

One of my colleague's alcoholic 17 year old son was given Pokemon Sapphire by me for time-pass during (((corona))) lockdown and a way to deal with his withdrawal. He enjoyed it immensely and asked me for similar games not necessarily pokemon but where you can play monsters and stuff. I gave him Geneforge and his dad is abusing me for getting him into games.
Again, anyone who don't believe me, I'll willing to do what I can to prove it.
You shouldn't give a fuck or otherwise you will not last long in codex or internet as a whole.

Last edited:
Ignore everyone here and play:

Gothic 1
Gothic 2
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Ultima Underworld
Baldur's Gate 1
Deus Ex (with GMDX mod)
Dark Souls 1
System Shock 2
Witcher 3 (with Enemies of Rivia mod)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (on an emulator on PC)
ELEX
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (modded as per my modding thread here, linked in the review)

You are welcome.

sullynathan

Arcane
Stop playing that old shit young man.

stop playing games older than yourself to fit in among people who don't feel in any way particular about you
The real truth. You'll probably never meet anyone like us in real life, you'll probably not enjoy these games either.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ignore everyone here and play:

Gothic 1
Gothic 2

Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Ultima Underworld
Baldur's Gate 1
Deus Ex (with GMDX mod)
Dark Souls 1
System Shock 2
Witcher 3 (with Enemies of Rivia mod)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (on an emulator on PC)
ELEX
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (modded as per my modding thread here, linked in the review)

You are welcome.
:hero:

Viata

Arcane
I'm new to CRPGs, what games are the absolute must plays?
Wizardry 4. It's considered by many the greatest game ever made. As an extra, it's the game that started the genre that Pokemon is now known for, and as always every JRPG started with Wizardry, one way or another. After you finish Wizardry 4, you will feel like a new man and will not waste time playing shit games like anything released pos-2001, that is not Grimoire.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Bullshit. Fallout 1 combat = 0.75 Underrail combat. While Underrail combat is great, 0.75 of great makes it just good.
You're gonna have to elobrate a bit on that.
Cause minus the aimed shots and traits, Underrail and Fallout are pretty similar.
Except Underrail has far more difficult enemies and encounters by default, and especially on dominating difficulty, a magic system, and a shit ton more of character building options instead of the dozen or more useless RP perks that Fallout has.
I don't wanna ruin your love for Fallout and shit, but Underrail has objectively better combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom