Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Mortmal

Arcane
I decided I was gonna play through the game, but I'm trying to kill a room full of spiders, and the game crashes every time a particular spider takes its turn. Well, I guess not every turn. One time, it didn't crash until that spider took its second turn. Must be some spell like Global Thermonuclear War or something.

ulEIV.png
It's mass transformation spell crashing it, already reported it a while ago.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's mass transformation spell crashing it, already reported it a while ago.
Interesting. I got it "fixed" by landing confusion. Of course the boss showed up and used Prismatic Void and killed my entire party, but at least it didn't crash before then.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I tried fighting the spiders again after loading a previous save and leveling up my dudes some more and resting. I used silence in the area where the queen spawns, and she used accelerated spell to use sunburst to permanently blind everyone and then summon an iron golem. I was thinking, "Oh, that's not so bad." Then, she ended her turn and the iron golem used his breath weapon to do 26-28 constitution damage to 3 of my dudes, killing them instantly. Well-played, you fucking bitch.

cruelio

Savant
I tried fighting the spiders again after loading a previous save and leveling up my dudes some more and resting. I used silence in the area where the queen spawns, and she used accelerated spell to use sunburst to permanently blind everyone and then summon an iron golem. I was thinking, "Oh, that's not so bad." Then, she ended her turn and the iron golem used his breath weapon to do 26-28 constitution damage to 3 of my dudes, killing them instantly. Well-played, you fucking bitch.
At least your party didn't see it coming.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What the fuck did he eat?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I pushed forward and couldn't figure out the crosswords, might be missing 5/6 words.

Also met the spiders, i knew i was fucked when i saw a room full of weak spiders but i could have done it on first try if it wasn't for the reinforcements (the golem and the extra spider mage). Resting beforehand would have been helpful too.

Does anyone has the crosswords solution at hand, would be helpful?

Also, skewer weapons are overpowered but it doesn't work with spidey queen, i'll probably try to pick the right weapons against her next time.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You can search online most of the definitions

I already tried some and it didn't work, tried an anagram website too but it only took 2 blanks.

kosswords.jpg

C--- (a summon)
5 letters vertical right (lawful evil fiend) starts with D
Central vertical (military attack) starts with S
Left vertical (no matter the color, townfolks dread them)
S horizontal (flying mammals from the right. and it hurts)
Last bottom horizontal (in a religious order) starts with S

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
In a religious order ->
sister
Military attack ->
storm (but I'm not sure)
Flying mammals from the right and it hurts ->
stab
5 letters vertical right (lawful evil fiend) starts with D ->
devil (not sure)
C--- (a summon) ->
call

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, it's almost obvious once solved but i don't really associate dragons with villagers.
The bats stab thing also confused me and sister was obvious but for some reason, i couldn't find it.

Thanks NJClaw

Only got 14 right answer during the "math test" although i only had "good" rings and i'm pretty sure i had everything right.
I'm not sure there were 38 questions though (or maybe it was 38 minutes, not sure he gives the number or questions now i think of it)

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Did my daily spider queen fight. Hit her with Feeblemind before she even got a turn.

:smug:

My dudes took some damage from the other spiders casting spells, and then some other spider showed up with a giant statue and cast some empowered bullshit to finish off three of my guys.

:negative:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Did my daily spider queen fight. Hit her with Feeblemind before she even got a turn.

My dudes took some damage from the other spiders casting spells, and then some other spider showed up with a giant statue and cast some empowered bullshit to finish off three of my guys.

You can easily (70%) dominate one of the two initial spiders so that he doesn't step on your balls while you focus the other one.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron

You can easily (70%) dominate one of the two initial spiders so that he doesn't step on your balls while you focus the other one.
I have pretty good luck with the first two druid spiders. Between my dudes using area-of-effect damage spells and my gladiator and fighter doing full attacks with pounce belt and Wade In, I can take out that whole crowd before they do anything. Maybe dominate would be better, though, so they help me out.

In unrelated news, a water druid does insane damage with Greater Ice Storm. Doing 21d6 damage, no save, with a level 7 spell at caster level 15 is nuts, especially when you can also combine that with summoning a treant in one turn.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I have pretty good luck with the first two druid spiders. Between my dudes using area-of-effect damage spells and my gladiator and fighter doing full attacks with pounce belt and Wade In, I can take out that whole crowd before they do anything. Maybe dominate would be better, though, so they help me out.
Unless a recent patch changed their behavior, they won't help much: one of them is impossible to dominate, while to other one keeps spamming the same SR buff over and over again.

If you don't have problems with those two, however, I fail to see what is stopping you from winning the encounter. I've done it at least 10 times now, and with silence + marilith I have a 100% win rate (worst things to boast about, I guess).

In unrelated news, a water druid does insane damage with Greater Ice Storm. Doing 21d6 damage, no save, with a level 7 spell at caster level 15 is nuts, especially when you can also combine that with summoning a treant in one turn.
Yeah, Empowered Greater Ice Storm is amazing, probably my favorite high-level spell. You pick the water domain for the crab, but you fall in love with it for the giant storm of destruction.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's where widened silence really comes in handy or antimagic cloud, although I'd use silence over cloud since more often than not they seem to be able to cast through it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
If you don't have problems with those two, however, I fail to see what is stopping you from winning the encounter. I've done it at least 10 times now, and with silence + marilith I have a 100% win rate

I'm probably just bad at the game. The queen just casts other spells that kill my dudes if I use Silence. Silence just keeps her from using her highest level spells. One of the spiders that shows up with her also casts accelerated spell on itself and its buddy. The queen casts accelerated spell on herself and they just have their way with my party. Between the three of them, they use 5 spells/powers that do tons of damage.

The queen doesn't even move out of the silence. She just sits in it like, "You think this is gonna stop me?" I even tried putting a wall of energy or Prismatic Wall on the floor to try to make her at least use her move action to move instead of using two spells, but she didn't mind standing in it.

I just gotta get those three spiders in the second wave before they get more than one spell off.

Just to be clear, I haven't been sitting here trying this non-stop. I load up the game maybe 0-2 times a day and give it another shot. I think I can get it, but it's another example of Pierre taking what would be a decent encounter (the first batch of spiders), then adding a scoop of "fuck you" with the queen and her two friends. Just when you think, "wow, I barely survived that," another fucking caster shows up with high level spells and a bodyguard that's immune to most things for that double "fuck you" goodness.

cruelio

Savant
I went to the discord and the "reliable" strategies were to grapple her or just lay down prismatic wall where she spawns and hope she dies. When your two "reliable" strategies both rely on rolling the dice and hoping for the best (either that you can have a grappler / grappler summoner get up to her spawn room before she spawns, beat her on her gimmicked initiative roll, and then land and maintain the grapple, OR hope she fails catastrophically on her prismatic wall rolls), you know it's a great encounter.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I think it helps if you keep the starting spiders alive longer. I noticed that it seems like she spawns immediately if you kill them all in one turn, but if you leave one alive, it gives you maybe one more turn or so to get your dudes up there to be ready for her to spawn.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
So, have any plans to fix this been mentioned or should I set it aside and hope the next one will be better?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
If you don't have problems with those two, however, I fail to see what is stopping you from winning the encounter. I've done it at least 10 times now, and with silence + marilith I have a 100% win rate

I'm probably just bad at the game. The queen just casts other spells that kill my dudes if I use Silence. Silence just keeps her from using her highest level spells. One of the spiders that shows up with her also casts accelerated spell on itself and its buddy. The queen casts accelerated spell on herself and they just have their way with my party. Between the three of them, they use 5 spells/powers that do tons of damage.

The queen doesn't even move out of the silence. She just sits in it like, "You think this is gonna stop me?" I even tried putting a wall of energy or Prismatic Wall on the floor to try to make her at least use her move action to move instead of using two spells, but she didn't mind standing in it.

I just gotta get those three spiders in the second wave before they get more than one spell off.

Just to be clear, I haven't been sitting here trying this non-stop. I load up the game maybe 0-2 times a day and give it another shot. I think I can get it, but it's another example of Pierre taking what would be a decent encounter (the first batch of spiders), then adding a scoop of "fuck you" with the queen and her two friends. Just when you think, "wow, I barely survived that," another fucking caster shows up with high level spells and a bodyguard that's immune to most things for that double "fuck you" goodness.
I swear to God, if you don't use that scroll of Summon Marilith I'm going to find you and punch you in the face. No, actually I'm not, but you should still use it. While you deal with the first group of dumb spiders, go north and position yourself in a way that allows you to reach the queen and her goons as soon as they appear (but without triggering the reinforcement while the small spiders are still alive). Use the time at your disposal to cast silence on the spot where the queen is going to appear and buff your melee guys with true seeing and your entire group with mass protection from fire (greater, if you have access to it). You might also want to cast haste on everyone to move faster through the room.

As soon as the queen appears, summon the Marilith in her face. If the queen gets a turn before your wizard, you should be able to survive it without too much problems: at worst, a mass heal resets everything. If the queen doesn't get a turn before your wizard (or if you survive her first assault), the Marilith will grapple her, effectively disabling her for the entire fight: she will waste her turns trying to escape the grapple without any chance of succeeding (I've never seen her roll more than 40 or the Marilith roll less than 50). While the queen cries like a baby, you can focus her goons and take them down before they have a chance to act (remember that, if you need to, you can disable one of them by dominating/confusing it). If they all "win" the bullshit reinforcements-initiative, reload.

When i'ts time for the third wave, just throw at them everything you have. You can keep the statue down casting (resilient) grease to cover just a single square every turn. Surround it with summons if you are scared it might take one of your melee guys out).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom