Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What character Types/Classes you used to love but now you don't?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was a druid boy for the longest time before they somehow became "the shapeshifter class" across tabletop, CRPGs, and MMOs. Weird transition. Surely it better fits shamans, if anything.
What were druids before this, sone sort of off-shoot mage/priest? Need a games list of classes/races for rpgs I guess.

It really depends on the game and era. I mean broadly any class might be absolute shit in one game but rock the ballz in another. It used to be a group of the solid 4 classes. Priest, mage, rogue, fighter or fighters.. I think i've always steered towards fighters. Everything else was support.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fighter, mostly because I find other classes like Rogue/Paladin/Barbarian do what they do but with more style.

eXalted

Arcane
Used to like Necromancers, or at least the idea of Necromancers. Then I completed Diablo 2 with all classes, and the Necro was easily the least enjoyable one.

I remember my only playthrough with a Necromancer there a long time ago (on Normal only). Couldn't get near Diablo. Was just standing in one place watching how my skeletons chipped down his health. When all of them were smashed, I kept backtracking to summon them again. This repeated a few times. Almost fell asleep.

Infinitron Zed Can someone fix the spelling error in the title? Thanks.

DraQ

Arcane
Charismatic gunslingers.
:mca:

Used to always play Wizards but those noobs can't even wear plate armor.
Clerics are much cooler.
Well, you do seem like a type that would become an altar boy for, uh, "benefits".
:smug:

I ended up going mostly for illusion in Skyrim - I guess the one good thing to come out of them ditching attributes is that illusion is not charisma-based anymore.
I think it's less of what is based on what, but what develops what.

In Morrowind casting spells from *any* school is willpower and that school based (while intelligence limits your amount of magicka and so both casting reserves and the biggest spell you could possibly cast).
So illusion is not based on charisma (personality).

BUT, as you learn to fuck with people's minds and perceptions and manipulate them magically, you presumably also gain insight into how people's minds work so you might be better at influencing them mundanely, so it makes sense for illusion to give you personality (charisma) multiplier on level up.

V_K

Arcane
I ended up going mostly for illusion in Skyrim - I guess the one good thing to come out of them ditching attributes is that illusion is not charisma-based anymore.

In Morrowind casting spells from *any* school is willpower and that school based (while intelligence limits your amount of magicka and so both casting reserves and the biggest spell you could possibly cast).

BUT, as you learn to fuck with people's minds and perceptions and manipulate them magically, you presumably also gain insight into how people's minds work so you might be better at influencing them mundanely, so it makes sense for illusion to give you personality (charisma) multiplier on level up.
Which makes it mechanically inferior - you're casting spells and not getting better at casting spells. And at the same time you don't really need a personality bonus - the whole stat is not terribly useful, and you have a charm spell anyway.
In Daggerfall, illusion (and thaumaturgy which was later merged with illusion) were willpower-based but didn't have the same breadth of effects.

DraQ

Arcane

Which makes it mechanically inferior - you're casting spells and not getting better at casting spells. And at the same time you don't really need a personality bonus - the whole stat is not terribly useful, and you have a charm spell anyway.
But you are either casting other spells or using other skills as well. And you have quite a few slots for those.

One thing I really like about skyrim's skill system is that they ditched the notion of primary/secondary skills as applied to level ups accomplishing perhaps the single most significant unfucking of TES use based system.
Shame that that they also ditched this notion altogether, effectively removing chargen.

V_K

Arcane
But you are either casting other spells or using other skills as well.
Well, problem is the attribute increases are proportionate to governed skill uses. And illusion covers 90% of your gameplay needs, with only occasional uses for alteration (for physical barriers) and destruction (for cases where you can't avoid killing something). And then of course your single most used skill will be athletics because walking speed is so damn slow. Combined, this all leads to rather unsatisfying level-ups.

But even all that doesn't matter as much as the fact that I'm ideologically opposed to charisma-based casters.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to roll stealth based rogues. But I got weary of them because their playstyle is p. Much onesided.

I prefer swashbucklers or barbarians now.

Lagi

Savant
fighter with sword and shield

now i much more prefer fighters with mace and shield

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom