Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

grimace

Arcane
Will there also be a new Poets of the Fall song to go with this AWE-some Interactive CGI movie Experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
nah, it won't save this disaster of game
Control is really akin to Stranger things series, something that wants to be CULT, NOSTALGIC, COOL and FUN, losing in every category.

Last edited by a moderator:

hpstg

Savant
Isn't PS NOW streaming? Were you playing it with input lag?
That depends on the title. I think PS3 games are streamed and PS4 games are downloaded on the console.

The console peasant's arsehole is so stretched out at this point that stuff like that doesn't even touch the sides.

Someone with a PC talking about stretched assholes of people who can play this with the $300 machine they picked up in 2013.

Sodafish

Arcane
Someone with a PC talking about stretched assholes of people who can play this with the $300 machine they picked up in 2013.

aaf.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

If the Digital Foundry framerate analysis is anything to go by, I'm not sure you're "playing it" necessarily.

hpstg

Savant
If the Digital Foundry framerate analysis is anything to go by, I'm not sure you're "playing it" necessarily.

Just another $1,500 and you can unlock the 60fps option!

I also have a PC, and I'll spend a lot of money on it to get some games running properly. That doesn't make consoles a stupid choice, and neither they are as expensive as most people think, especially if you play the waiting game (like you should do on PC). You never get the same performance for the same cost on a PC, and this next generation the gap will be even larger.

Sodafish

Arcane
You never get the same performance for the same cost on a PC, and this next generation the gap will be even larger.

That's all well and good, but the point is consoles are designed to do a single thing to an "acceptable" standard of quality: play games. With PCs there is almost no limit to what you can use them for. The main use of the processing and display horsepower in my PC is for high end photo editing and video/audio playback, but it's nice to also be able to handle the latest games with aplomb (on the rare occasions something catches my eye these days).

hpstg

Savant
That's all well and good, but the point is consoles are designed to do a single thing to an "acceptable" standard of quality: play games. With PCs there is almost no limit to what you can use them for. The main use of the processing and display horsepower in my PC is for high end photo editing and video/audio playback, but it's nice to also be able to handle the latest games with aplomb (on the rare occasions something catches my eye these days).

This is true. The PC is also vastly superior on what you can use for input, (even for the purely gaming side), is upgradable etc. I was talking about it strictly as a mainstream gaming system.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I also have a PC, and I'll spend a lot of money on it to get some games running properly. That doesn't make consoles a stupid choice, and neither they are as expensive as most people think, especially if you play the waiting game (like you should do on PC). You never get the same performance for the same cost on a PC, and this next generation the gap will be even larger.

I'm not bashing consoles in general, I'm bashing Control on consoles. 30fps cap for a shooter is already poor, and then Control has consistent drops to the low 20s in combat with it even going down to the low teens at times. That is what I'd call unacceptable performance, and it's more about Remedy being shit console developers than any kind of slight on Sony or whatever. As Sodafish said, consoles should offer mainstream gamers a plug and play acceptable experience, and Control is a game where they do not do that.

ADL

Prophet
I got this for free in a GeForce Bundle on the Epic Games Store but I'd buy this again with the DLCs.... If it came to GOG.

lol

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I got this for free in a GeForce Bundle on the Epic Games Store but I'd buy this again with the DLCs.... If it came to GOG.l

I got it free too, but I bought the DLC pass. First DLC was pretty good, so hopefully the second is as well.

I'll re-buy on GOG someday in a $10 or less sale.

orcinator

Liturgist

Oh right, this is coming out.

Skipped through the video, there's going to be a light gimmick (obviously) and maybe one new enemy type if that thing at the end isn't a boss. It still takes place in the notSCP HQ so you're going to be fighting a lot of boring zombies with guns even when the last part takes you to StephenKingsville.
Maybe it won't suck.

Did the previous expansion have anything to offer by the way?

Mortmal

Arcane
Did the previous expansion have anything to offer by the way?
Two weapons mode one to break some rocks one to "create" and spawn rocks at fixed areas. Not the most ambitious extension and quite short but still worth playing.

kangaxx

Arbiter
My curiosity got the better of me and I bit...

I'm enjoying it so far - it's uncomplicated but it has a nice original Max Payne feel (which stands to reason). The shooting is pretty satisfying, and the psy powers are fun to use. AI is dumb-ish, but enemies are pretty much zombies so it makes sense I suppose. The setting and atmosphere are well done IMO (although I already quite enjoy weird David Lynch style stuff like this). Ray tracing looks nice with the old 2070 Super in full flow too!

That said, if I had to play this on a console with a gamepad I think I'd have committed hari kiri by now.

orcinator

Liturgist
Rebuccaneered it for the Alan Wake expansion.
The throw power is even more OP than I remember, the first encounter was against a bunch of basic zombies but I just mashed E and killed everything with absolutely no effort. Wonder if faster throwing was some upgrade or I simply thought you needed to wait a bit for the object to be drawn towards you before you can toss it.
Edit: you do have to wait a split second but it is faster than I remembered.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

kangaxx
So what is it that is Lynchian about this thing?
Not bashing the game - haven't played it, I'll probably get it at some point given that I enjoy Remedy's stuff - but other than some aesthetic touches this is feeling more like some Syfy channel show, or at best like something like Fringe.
Is this like with Alan Wake, where the game was hailed as playable Twin Peaks whereas in reality the similarities were only surface deep and the game was basically a playable (post accident) King novel?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom