Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If a simple game like Horizon Zero Dawn is called rpg here then it should have been no problem to categorize Trails of Cold Steel 3 as a rpg.

JRPGs belong in the jrpg forum.

Yosharian

Arcane
yes its inferior, but not by a significant margin, and its much easier to use than RTSS which also sometimes interferes with games (or more accurately, games conflict with it).

Easier to use? Riva Tuner launches with Windows, sits in your system tray, and all you need to do is click it and type a new FPS value, then minimize it.
yeah its an extra piece of software that i have to install, configure, etc. the driver level option is simpler.

as i already explained, RTSS can conflict with a lot of games.

I'm not trying to say RTSS is bad or deny that it's the most optimal solution to the limiting frame rates, it's just that unfortunately it does conflict sometimes and I prefer not to have to deal with that headache, and the driver-level limiter feels absolutely fine to me - I can't feel that extra frame at all.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Is Riva Tuner an in-house software that gets installed with the drivers if you buy Nvidia? Like Adrenaline with AMD? Or is it third party and does it work for AMD?

Coz I'm trying to limit the frames with Adrenaline and even then the game has a very strange feel. Kindda...jerky. Anti-smooth. Even though my average FPS is 53.
nope, you can use it with amd. make sure you download it from guru3d

Yosharian

Arcane
You should always use RivaTuner to limit fps instead of the in-game limiter, you get better frame pacing most of the time.

Riva Tuner is essential software when you have a 144hz monitor. You always need to limit things, even when they run at 144fps because of g-sync, and it does it with zero problems unlike a lot of in-game limiters, as you say. The number of times a tech review has talked about frame pacing issues with in-game limiters is astonishing. No wonder consoles have issues.
A wild NVIDIA driver-level frame limiter appears

It's still inferior to RTSS when it comes to frametime stability and RTSS is more convenient as you can change framerate on the go without restarting the game.
yes its inferior, but not by a significant margin, and its much easier to use than RTSS which also sometimes interferes with games (or more accurately, games conflict with it).

What's so difficult about it? You literally just have to type the number you want to set it to. Also, like I said, you can pretty much do that on the go and you can even assign shortcuts for that. There's no reason not to use it at all.
there IS reason not to use it which as i already explained is that it doesn't always play nice with some games

I also never said it was difficult, I simply said that the driver-level function is slightly easier since it's using software that's already installed

Perhaps it would be more appropriate if I said that it is more convenient, rather than easier

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This looks interesting enough to consider but will wait and let you guys taste-test the PC version for me more then when I see signs it's finally been optimized/bug-fixed I might buy it... on sale or something. I have only purchased one game in my entire life during its initial release.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I like the game so far. It's like nu-Tomb Raider, with a dash of Monster Hunter thrown in. If anyone's getting stuttering, use Riva Tuner to limit the frame rate. I was and it fixed it for me.

Or Nvidia Inspector, which is what I prefer since i can more easily save/import/export my settings/profiles all at once. Yeah, a lot of unnecessary stuttering in games is simply caused by 120FPS+tards insisting on playing the latest games on the highest settings at the highest framerates, then when they go from areas that play at 120FPS+ easily to more graphics intensive parts that instantly drop it down to near or under 60 FPS the result is one big huge fart of a stutter. Just lock your framerates to something reasonable and you'll be okay.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a pretty good game.

I was waiting for such a post: the game is competent popamole.

The most interesting things are the machine's vaults and there is a special zone on the map.

Unfortunately the ending is explosive diarrhea.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So NJClaw is another piece of shit retard? Added to the anti-rpg list.

EDIT: Ah yes, his post history reveals he is an SJW who shills Disco Elysium. Well, hopefully a BLMer breaks into his house and splits his head open. We can only hope to be so lucky.

People like him are the enemy of RPGs and the RPGCodex.

EDIT 2: Look at that, whocares is another SJW who shills Disco Elysium on the side. Funny how all of the people who are anti-RPG are also DE shills.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I like the game so far. It's like nu-Tomb Raider, with a dash of Monster Hunter thrown in. If anyone's getting stuttering, use Riva Tuner to limit the frame rate. I was and it fixed it for me.

Or Nvidia Inspector, which is what I prefer since i can more easily save/import/export my settings/profiles all at once. Yeah, a lot of unnecessary stuttering in games is simply caused by 120FPS+tards insisting on playing the latest games on the highest settings at the highest framerates, then when they go from areas that play at 120FPS+ easily to more graphics intensive parts that instantly drop it down to near or under 60 FPS the result is one big huge fart of a stutter. Just lock your framerates to something reasonable and you'll be okay.
Isn't inspector exactly the same as the driver-level feature that NVIDIA added? Pretty sure they are the same

Inspector had this issue where you had to set it every time you booted, not sure if it still has that issue

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Isn't inspector exactly the same as the driver-level feature that NVIDIA added? Pretty sure they are the same

Inspector had this issue where you had to set it every time you booted, not sure if it still has that issue

Yes, the "new" NVIDIA control panel frame limiter is just the same thing that's always been in Inspector except integrated into the GUI. There's no functional difference, and in fact the Inspector offers more options.

It's irrelevant tho since RTSS (Riva Tuner) frame limiter is not only easier to use and offers more options but is also better mathematically. There is simply no legitimate reason to use any other limiter other than RTSS outside of exceptions where the in-game limiter is "better" because it was made well and the game depends on it, like say for example in Overwatch or Counter-Strike, or Street Fighter, usually games of that nature.

Yes, once in a while you'll run into a game where the in-game limiter is "better" than the one in RTSS but even in those cases the difference is so negligible you're better off just using RTSS on everythring.

The Battle(non)sense guy on YouTube has done a few tests pitting different frame limiter tools against each other if that interests you, he also has some good videos concerning v-sync and g-sync which I found useful.

EDIT: I want to note tho that if a game's limiting ability is fundamentally broken then using RivaTuner won't magically fix it. For example in Fallout: New Vegas, on MODERN SYSTEMS, you will get camera micro-stutter or camera hitching regardless of what external frame tool you use, doesn't matter if it's NVIDIA frame-limiter or RTSS; the only way to fix the F:NV camera stutter is to use the specialized mod made that removes stuttering in the game, period. There is no other way because it's a problem with the way the game runs that required a specific fix.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I use NVIDIA Inspector because I like to fiddle with other settings and since I'm fairly frequently re-installing a full Acronis Windows backup, it's much easier for me just to batch import profiles of all my games' nvida settings (including FPS limiter) with Nvidia Inspector instead of having to redo FPS limiting on each game individually over again with Riva Tuner. So there 's no reason for me not to use Nvidia inspector over RTSS. That Gamebryo stuttering issue also affected Oblivion and probably FO3 too. Also, I don't use the latest drivers for my GTX 1070 unless I'm forced to since I have odd little issues that don't happen in earlier drivers

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's a pretty good game.

I was waiting for such a post: the game is competent popamole.

The most interesting things are the machine's vaults and there is a special zone on the map.

Unfortunately the ending is explosive diarrhea.

I have no problem with playing competent popamole. Not everything has to be this hardcore challenge to be fun. Tomb Raider 2013 seemed exactly that and I rather enjoyed it (not enough to check out the followups Rise & Shadows though) even if you got hit sponges and magically respawning enemies in front of your face at higher difficulty settings. The solution was to just avoid certain difficulty settings that added artificial difficulty like that. I think I'd like HZD but we'll see.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It sure does like to waste your time. Cut scenes all over the place so far, and some of them go on for bloody ages. The voice acting and lip-syncing is a bit off as well, which makes all these cut scenes a bit jarring. Combat has started to get a bit more interesting, but it's still of the 'roll/ strike/ roll' variety. Sometimes traps, arrows and sometimes bombs, but mainly roll, roll, roll.

Definitely getting 'reskinned Assassins Creed: Odyssey' vibes, but with more rolling and robots.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I use NVIDIA Inspector because I like to fiddle with other settings and since I'm fairly frequently re-installing a full Acronis Windows backup, it's much easier for me just to batch import profiles of all my games' nvida settings (including FPS limiter) with Nvidia Inspector instead of having to redo FPS limiting on each game individually over again with Riva Tuner. So there 's no reason for me not to use Nvidia inspector over RTSS. That Gamebryo stuttering issue also affected Oblivion and probably FO3 too. Also, I don't use the latest drivers for my GTX 1070 unless I'm forced to since I have odd little issues that don't happen in earlier drivers

You can save profiles for each game with RTSS aswell if that's what you are talking about. And you don't even need to select the game's executable, it can automatically create a profile for the currently active game/application and it's as easy as holding ctrl and clicking "ADD" on the main screen of the program.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

You can save profiles for each game with RTSS aswell if that's what you are talking about.

No, I 'm talking about saving/exporting all my profiles in a single .nib file then importing them back if I've had to do an OS reinstall where I've had several new profiles created since then. Maybe you can do this batch saving with RTSS too but I never investigated it much since Nvidia Inspector still does things that neither Nvidia or RTSS does that I use.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

You can save profiles for each game with RTSS aswell if that's what you are talking about.

No, I 'm talking about saving/exporting all my profiles in a single .nib file then importing them back if I've had to do an OS reinstall where I've had several new profiles created since then. Maybe you can do this batch saving with RTSS too but I never investigated it much since Nvidia Inspector still does things that neither Nvidia or RTSS does that I use.

C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles <- Default folder.

I'm surprised at the level of ignorance on a forum that's supposedly PC oriented.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles <- Default folder.

I'm surprised at the level of ignorance on a forum that's supposedly PC oriented.

What ignorance? I don't use it for that purpose and use another program instead for additional features so why would I even need to know if it can export or import profiles? Idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom