Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
From the absolute dogshit I'm seeing in these top 10s most of these retards shouldn't be able to post here either.

*proceeds to post his own dogshit*

:troll:

Seriously, though.

A top 10 RPG list? I've never seen this before.

Good way to gauge taste or lack thereof. Also, only spineless cowards will not square up and post list.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
My list is incredibly biased, as a good list should be. This thing of liking everything is modernist garbage and it's what has led shameless Codexers into posting lists with of politically puerile visual novels in them. It is not only an affront to good taste but to the entire collective RPG genre.

Gatekeeping is good and healthy. Standards must be kept in order for things to have meaning!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
My list is incredibly biased, as a good list should be. This thing of liking everything is modernist garbage and it's what has led shameless Codexers into posting lists full of politically puerile visual novels in them. It is not only an affront to good taste but to the entire collective RPG genre.

Gatekeeping is good and healthy. Standards must be kept in order for things to have meaning!

100% agree. The genre has become too inclusive. It wandered off from its wargaming roots and got lost in the woods. RPGs are for the exclusive, the elite, the connoisseur. Generalists suck. I hate dabblers.

Latro

Arcane
1. Fallout 1
2. SMT: Strange Journey
3. Deus Ex
4. BG1
5. SMT: Nocturne
6. SMT 1
7. Fallout 2
8. Wiz 1
9. Wiz 4 Gaiden
10. Underrail

Didn't beat JA2 yet, so I have no right to place it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
anyone who puts in "disco elysium" or "no truce with the furies" or any visual novel must re-submit their top 10 lists; this is for RPGs only

Lebowski-Opinion-Meme.jpg

The Red Knight

Erudite
Top game that I've been replaying for the past 20 years: Jagged Alliance 2

Beyond that I don't really track my favorites, but to list some spontaneously-picked runner-ups:
Strategy+RPG: XPiratez, Original War
Roguelike: Tales of Maj'Eyal
Potato pick: Gothic 1/2

FRUA
Realmz
Blades of Avernum (would probably list BoE instead but can't make the Exiles stop freezing)
Knights Chalice of 2 the, once Pierre resolves a few microissues with the editor

Honorable indie mentions: Dark Disciples 2, Iceblink/Hearkenwold, Zorbus

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Not just Codex. Only those who share my views are allowed to comment on my blog. Everyone else is considered a troll, and gets their comment deleted from moderation queue. :obviously:
Ahem...
Jagged Alliance 2 is the greatest CRPG of all time, and all others fall woefully short by comparison.
Except it's not a CRPG.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Lists on the internet!
I presume this is the RPGS you had the most fun on when you discovered them and didn't play because you got told about them years later.

1. Baldurs gate 2. Probably the only crpg I have replayed multiple times
2. Morrowind. Didn't have a computer in the times of Daggerfel. The way you can just break this game with op enchanting faggotry is just so.. good.
3. Secret of Mana. Multiplayer goodness back in the day.
4. Underrail
5. Fallout 2 Started with the second one for some reason and couldn't go back to the first.
6.Gothic 2 as above
7.Elex
8.Fallout NV
9.KOTOR 2 inner starwars nerd before they destroyed it.
10. Dues Ex.

That's a quality desert island list.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jagged Alliance 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. Squad tactics games with light RPG elements, that is. Not an RPG, tho. Neither is System Shock 2. Silent Storm I absolutely loved as well, until I had to abort my playthrough very early after spilling a mug of coffee over my toaster. From what I remember, it is also firmly in the squad tactics and not the RPG department.

Still on the fence with regard to the Deus Ex's and Alpha Protocol, although I am tempted to reluctantly accept those.

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
1. Baldur's Gate II (SoA + ToB)
2. NWN: The Aielund Saga
3. Pathfinder: Kingmaker
4. Icewind Dale
5. Mass Effect 2

Others RPGs I liked - NWN: Hordes of the Underdark, Expeditions: Viking.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous will surely be in my top 5, kicking out ME2.

Other upcoming RPGs likely to enter top 10 are Solasta: Crown of the Magister and Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (if this one ever gets released).

Paul_cz

Arcane
Witcher 2/3
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Fallout 1/2/NV
Vampire Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Gothic 1/2
Mass Effect trilogy
Jagged Alliance 2
KOTOR 2

Farewell into the night

Pokemon Green, Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Red, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon FireRed, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Sun, Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2.

In no particular order.

Cat Dude

Savant
Pokemon Green, Pokemon Blue, Pokemon Red, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon FireRed, Pokemon Platinum, Pokemon Sun, Fallout and Jagged Alliance 2.

In no particular order.

Good list. Do not let codex elitists here decide what is good for your OPINION.

mk0

Learned
If I were to rank RPGs in order of how much enjoyment I got out of them, the list would be:

:D
Nioh
The Witcher 3
Nier: Automata
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

:|
Dragon's Dogma
Monster Hunter World
The Witcher

:mad:
The Witcher 2
Arx Fatalis

And that only includes games that I've played recently enough to have an opinion on, I'm not sure where Deus Ex or other older games would land if I replayed them.

Feeling sour about the Souls series at the moment, so fuck 'em.

pidstuff

Educated
  1. Arcanum
  2. Jagged Alliance 2
  3. Fallout 2
  4. Fallout: New Vegas
  5. Planescape: Torment
  6. Kenshi
  7. Atom RPG
  8. Divinity: Original Sin
  9. Geneforge
  10. Grim Dawn
  1. Vagrant Story
  2. SMT: Devil Survivor
  3. Breath of Fire 3
  4. Suikoden 2
  5. Etrian Odyssey 3
I just like them for different reasons. For example, New Vegas is very clunky because of the engine and so I like it for the mods.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
Lists on the internet!
I presume this is the RPGS you had the most fun on when you discovered them and didn't play because you got told about them years later.

2. Morrowind. Didn't have a computer in the times of Daggerfel. The way you can just break this game with op enchanting faggotry is just so.. good.
4. Underrail
5. Fallout 2 Started with the second one for some reason and couldn't go back to the first.
6.Gothic 2 as above
7.Elex
8.Fallout NV
10. Dues Ex.

Someone who doesn't feel they need to suck up to RPG Codex's shitty opinions. Good job.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lists on the internet!

4. Underrail
6.Gothic 2 as above
7.Elex
8.Fallout NV
10. Dues Ex.

Someone who doesn't feel they need to suck up to RPG Codex's shitty opinions and copy thee 101. Good job.
But... there are literally Baldur's Gate 2, Morrowind, Underrail, Fallout 2, Gothic 2, Fallout New Vegas, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Deus Ex in that list...

Only TemplarGR will provide an untarnished opinion, if only he decides to appear.

rpg_ghoul

Literate
Lists on the internet!

4. Underrail
6.Gothic 2 as above
7.Elex
8.Fallout NV
10. Dues Ex.

Someone who doesn't feel they need to suck up to RPG Codex's shitty opinions and copy thee 101. Good job.
But... there are literally Baldur's Gate 2, Morrowind, Underrail, Fallout 2, Gothic 2, Fallout New Vegas, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Deus Ex in that list...

Only TemplarGR will provide an untarnished opinion, if only he decides to appear.
Saying you like Morrowind or New Vegas seems to be a death sentence on this website, and Secret of Mana?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Saying you like Morrowind or New Vegas seems to be a death threat on this website, and Secret of Mana?
Morrowind and New Vegas are both in the Codex top 10, both from 2014 and 2019. There are some very loud detractors, but nevertheless both games are pretty well liked here. Secret of Mana is the only title from that list that isn't in the Codex top 40.

Eisen

Learned
  • Deus Ex
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Eye of The Beholder 2
  • Dungeon Master
  • MM4-5: World of Xeen
  • Eye Of The Beholder 1
  • MM3 : Isles of Terra
  • Deus Ex: HR
  • Grim Dawn
  • Tales Of Maj'Eyal

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I don't care about Codex opinions and standards. IE and BG in particular are fixed in the Codex Pantheon and I don't care about any of this shit, with Planescape being the exception despite the crappy engine. I don't care about any Boywhore game, pre- or post-Mass Effect regardless. I don't care about any Shittesda game, be it Morrowind or Daggerfall, it's all shit to me. Oh, and Larian also can suck a horse dick. Add Twitcher series to the same iggy bin.

Gothics are probably good though, but I still haven't played them.

overly excitable young man

I don't care about Codex opinions and standards. IE and BG in particular are fixed in the Codex Pantheon and I don't care about any of this shit, with Planescape being the exception despite the crappy engine. I don't care about any Boywhore game, pre- or post-Mass Effect regardless. I don't care about any Shittesda game, be it Morrowind or Daggerfall, it's all shit to me. Oh, and Larian also can suck a horse dick. Add Twitcher series to the same iggy bin.
Very prestigious.

Gothics are probably good though, but I still haven't played them.
That's a disgrace! You really should.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom