Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decent games you gave up on due to particular aspect.

overly excitable young man

Games i give up on are by definition shitty games and not decent.

Dramart

Learned
Deus Ex, interesting story and world, I liked the dark atmosphere in the levels, but the gameplay was kind of clunky, still it was okay, the main problem were the levels approach which you could do in different ways. I would've preferred them to be linear. Good game but not for me.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would've preferred them to be linear.
27256.jpg
<- my face right now

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Dark Souls' saving mechanic combined with new enemies you don't know the patterns for yet killing you immediately made me rage quit (though I plan to try again someday).
https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Shields

Never drop your shield. Explore the entirety of Lordran behind it like a little bitch.
Using shields in DS games is incredibily gay.
You have no honor!
Better behind a shield than missing out on the game.

Only prolongs the time until you have to git gud.
And shield wont help you much gainst O&S.

Dramart

Learned
27256.jpg
<- my face right now
I was enjoying it more as a shooter, I save my points to get to level 3 with pistols and it was worth it, in level 2 was already decent. I got lost in the levels very often and it was very annoying, like runing in circles. With linear levels I could've enjoyed the story and also the game. Anyways I know that one of the strong points in the game is that you can do the levels in diferent ways, but sometimes or for some peopel a linear experience is more satisfying. Games like Thief also have this and I can't with that, whatever man.

Using shields in DS games is incredibily gay.
You have no honor!
I also prefer no using shield but no shame in using shields. But is better using two-handed weapons and be naked for more pleasure.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dark Souls' saving mechanic combined with new enemies you don't know the patterns for yet killing you immediately made me rage quit (though I plan to try again someday).
https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Shields

Never drop your shield. Explore the entirety of Lordran behind it like a little bitch.

There is only one shield you need. Grass Crest Shield on your back to swing your two handed murder weapon more!

And shield wont help you much gainst O&S.

I played DS1 as a Havelfag, since the Black Knight Greatsword dropped from my first black knight, and Ornstein and Smough get absolutely pogged by the Havel Great Shield. You can have both at them comboing at you, and your guard just doesn't break until they are done. Easy first try.

Stop being gay pls! Imo you never finished the game!
Now start your real run! Chop chop!

Pentium

Learned
If you give up on any overall decent game due to one (or even more) annoying aspect, you're a major pathetic crybaby gay cocksucker.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I almost always play agile rogue/assassin types in action RPGs. Pretty sure I picked Thief in Dark Souls and never touched a shield. I guess I could try it next time. In case you're curious, I beat the gargoyles and then got to some lower city level and these agile zombie things jumped out from nowhere, got on my back and killed me in one hit and that's when I decided I was done (for now).

El Presidente

Arcane
Happened quite recently to me: The Outer Wilds.

It's a good game, maybe great even, and has some fantastic moments like when you enter the system's gas giant for the first time. It's a truly memorable moment, or maybe that's because I always found the idea of entering a gas giant very fascinating.

The game works in a time loop gimmick not very different from Majora's Mask though, and I can't for the life of me see how a short cyclical time limit isn't a design idea that goes directly against Myst-like exploration, which is the core gameplay of the game. You wanna take your time to explore and get immersed, but you can't because the game's loop takes 22 minutes to complete, which is just WAY too short. I just checked and, for reference, Majora's 72h take about 55 minutes to end, certainly much more comfortable. Sure you'd need more time in Majora's cycles than in Outer Wilds', but 22 minutes is a joke. Had they make it, say, 40 minutes, it'd be way better.

Not to mention, the game has some time-related events, such as twin planets that work like a hourglass, with sand going from one to the other. As time passes by in one loop, the planet receiving sand starts getting flooded with it, with rooms and caverns (which you want to go in to explore) becoming completely inaccessible, so it's like a time limit within a time limit.

If you dislike tight time limits, this game feels like a punch to the guts, because it's actually very fun and well made, but I don't want to "explore Myst-like" constantly thinking I only have about 15 minutes to do so before the sun explodes, which is realistically the actual time you have, as you necessarily lose minutes upfront by having to fly your ship back to where you previously were and then reach the place on foot.

Seeing how this game receives almost universal praise everywhere I look, with no one complaining about the time, I'm probably in the minority on this one.

Edit: one more thing I forgot to mention: the event that resets the time in the game is the system's sun exploding and wiping all of its planets. Many times, if not most of the times, you're indoors when it happens, or inside the gas giant's thick atmosfere that prevents you from looking outside of the planet. So there you are exploring, trying to navigate or playing with some of your (pretty clever) equipment such as the projectile camera, when suddenly you hear the Boom and 10 seconds later the screen goes black. It feels pretty ridiculous and you always think "oh, right, the time limit, sure, go ahead game, waste 10+ minutes of my time by making me go back to the starting area for no reason whatsoever, I'll fly back here again, no problem" when it happens.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I almost always play agile rogue/assassin types in action RPGs. Pretty sure I picked Thief in Dark Souls and never touched a shield. I guess I could try it next time. In case you're curious, I beat the gargoyles and then got to some lower city level and these agile zombie things jumped out from nowhere, got on my back and killed me in one hit and that's when I decided I was done (for now).
I suggested a shield because it's one of the easiest ways to learn enemies' patterns without risking too much: just hide behind it, and observe their attacks. These "agile zombie things", however, are one of the few enemies that can wreck you even behind a shield...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
27256.jpg
<- my face right now
I was enjoying it more as a shooter, I save my points to get to level 3 with pistols and it was worth it, in level 2 was already decent. I got lost in the levels very often and it was very annoying, like runing in circles. With linear levels I could've enjoyed the story and also the game. Anyways I know that one of the strong points in the game is that you can do the levels in diferent ways, but sometimes or for some peopel a linear experience is more satisfying. Games like Thief also have this and I can't with that, whatever man.

Holy shit man you have the worst taste in level design I have ever encountered in my life.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
27256.jpg
<- my face right now

Holy shit man you have the worst taste in level design I have ever encountered in my life.
While I 100% agree with you, it's not hard for me to understand his taste and where it might come from. Our cognitive styles influence the things we like and how we enjoy them. Someone characterized by a strongly convergent and field-dependent style might easily feel overwhelmed by the various possible choices offered by non-linear game design. As a result, he could experience a feeling of unease while playing a game like that.

mk0

Learned
Well, you could make the argument that there are games that would benefit from having some brevity in their design, but getting lost in huge mazes is too much fun though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • BG2 - wanted to do BG1 first

Just do it. It's a much better game than BG1. It's at least ten times more interesting setting and environment wise than its bland predecessor, has much better quest and dungeon design, better itemization, pretty much better everything. I played BG2 first and BG1 only years later, and was massively disappointed by its blandness. They're like two completely different games.

DraQ

Arcane
Please, quit gaming forever.

DraQ

Arcane
While I 100% agree with you, it's not hard for me to understand his taste and where it might come from. Our cognitive styles influence the things we like and how we enjoy them. Someone characterized by a strongly convergent and field-dependent style might easily feel overwhelmed by the various possible choices offered by non-linear game design. As a result, he could experience a feeling of unease while playing a game like that.
Or an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom