Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Maddest Modder of All Time?

Psych0sis

Educated
There was a well-regarded Thief fan mission author (not HawkFlyAway) who supposedly used to constantly belittle Thief community forum members but I never found out who it was, just heard him/her "anon-dropped" on the forum. HawkFlyAway was clearly no ordinary asshole since I vividly remember his hostility on the thief forum (which I frequent very rarely despite my conviction that Thief FM authors are second only to Doom modders as the best out there) and he actually intrigued me enough to check out one of his mods. It wasn't terrible but he had no idea how to restrain himself with on-screen detail and therefore his mods ran like shit.

Speaking of "anon-dropping" I remember the codexer that overhauled Deus Ex incurring the wrath of one of the moderators here and ending up with nearly half a page of epithets under his username - the most I ever saw anyone get on The Codex - but actually reading his posts he never seemed like such a bad fellow to me and his mega-mod seemed solid enough. But it got so bad he had to change his username. But insane moderators are a topic for another day.

Oh man, there are a number of Thief modders who lurk Codex to then post for pity points on the more hug-boxy TTLG, so it could be any number of people. For example, one author Beltzer recently made a scuffle over 2 bad reviews left by me and one other user almost a whole year ago and when he was called out for it (which is shocking, cause again it's TTLG) he backtracked and said he was merely drunk from an old "drinking game" with his friends. Yeah, right...

You could also be talking about Bulgarian_Taffer (though I wouldn't even say he's well regarded even on TTLG because his missions are extremely sub-par), who threw a fit a couple years ago over bad reviews and tried his hardest to invade the thread. I mean shit, you could even be talking about Cardia, but he's more of a lolcow than a mad modder even though he can be quite the asshole sometimes to bad reviews, but he's never posted on here.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
IIRC, Cardia caused controversy when he dared to include a FTM transsexual storyline (based on one of his real-life friends) in one of his FMs. He also did an FM that used special scanned artwork in its puzzles that contained images that only half of all players brains could see that I thought was kinda funny. Frustration and bewilderment ensued. Now he was a guy who thought outside the (hug)box.

Yeah, it couldn't have been Bulgarian_Taffer because this person's FMs were listed as favorites in the community despite the author being a douche. Speaking of hugboxes and hateboxes at TTLG , I remember our own Unkillable Cat discovering the hard way that honesty isn't the best policy in writing reviews and he got chased off, I think, by the TTLG love mob or something like that. I do notice the occasional Thief FM author coming over here and venting their frustrations in the codex Thief thread and turning into great balls of anger against their own community mod authors because they can't vent over there on their own forum. That's always kind of fun to see, these Seekers and Seethers of Truth.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Which is why TTLG is a forum I've never bothered with, except to read about the fan missions I play.
Participating in a forum where you have watch your every word is just too tiresome, and it's like having a Damocles sword over your head knowing that some day you will be the victim of some arbitrary moderator decision (already happened to me twice). TTLG is probably not among the worst forums in that regard, though.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Which is why TTLG is a forum I've never bothered with, except to read about the fan missions I play.
Participating in a forum where you have watch your every word is just too tiresome, and it's like having a Damocles sword over your head knowing that some day you will be the victim of some arbitrary moderator decision (already happened to me twice). TTLG is probably not among the worst forums in that regard, though.

Yeah, I hate with a passion any type of forum that censors you. I only got censored once here on the Codex because I included a quote of a post before me that had a pic of the woman that accused Chris A. That's the only time I find it acceptable, when something is still ongoing in some type of legal litigation. Otherwise I love how the Codex handles troublesome posters. Just throw them into Prosperium with the other Codex inmates so they go round and round in circles all day talking to themselves. I got censored on TTLG when I posted this pic in describing that HawkFlyAway modder's superior attitude and intellect in the thread that got deleted. You can't have any fun over there because the mods are like a bunch of little old ladies or nuns with their wooden rulers at the ready.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Funny, that picture reminds me of Giskard's alter ego (the names ar even similar) in Oblivion:
84801687.jpg

Zibniyat

Arcane
Giskard, people are talking about you in here, have you got anything to say?

Don't know if it's the "real" Giskard, but whatever.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Funny, that picture reminds me of Giskard's alter ego (the names ar even similar) in Oblivion:
84801687.jpg

He used to do his own voice acting, I think, and it wasn't terrible (at least he used a decent mic) but every now and then his voice would get all phlegmy as if he was gargling semen and I used to cringe and be like "Eww, grooossss." Put me right off my cheetos. I hope he's okay.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Looks to be the right age judging by post history, also likes posting about Bethesda games.

Hmm....

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
let's not ever forget fakefactory putting hours and hours worth of effort into modelling alyx's vagina and having no idea what artistic cohesion is for textures and models

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
That lunatic who was gonna remake all of Middle Earth using the Morrowind engine for a LOTR super mod. The only that kept him from completing this mighty undertaking was a cease and desist letter from the Tolkien estate. Too bad, considering the mod was started around 2003, he would probably be close to finishing right around now.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ultimately, bad modders (or even good ones that had severe or borderline severe mental health issues) taught me me many valuable things over the years, the most valuable being: it's not always best to use that community patch or bugfix mod that adds tons of extra shit or "visual improvements" or extra lore or whatever. For the longest time, I was as crazy as the most cray cray modders, I think, clamoring for all these things that made games "better" or less broken but finally, and only recently, I made a conscious decision to stop the madness, in myself at least. I knew I was finally getting better when I threw out some "Beautiful Morrowind" overhaul recently and just used OpenMW with no fruity enhancements except for a more stable engine rebuild and higher resolutions and widescreen.

Terra

Cipher
I've always found it funny how one modder will have the gall to declare their mod as the "true" vision of the game over another modder's work. You end up with "true" patches, "truer" patches, "truest" patches and so on, with each new link in the chain decrying the former as "tweaks" rather than fixes.

That said, modding is a very entitled field as far as end-users go. End users want free mods, they want to download them for free, use them for free, they want free support, they want the mod tweaking to their tastes and they are generally speaking (look at any big mod's downloads:comments/rating ratio) too lazy to bother returning to the mod's page afterwards to leave a comment/rating. It's very much a culture of free consumption. End users are only ever spurred quickly into action at the mere notion of paid mods being a thing, quickly extolling the virtues of existing donation systems (which they will naturally continue to ignore) so the gravy train can continue.

Modding is an unpaid, thankless task comparatively to regular dev work, but end users frequently adopt a "rant first, don't ask any questions later" approach. It's no surprise at all to me that some modders go off the deep end or that frequent drama sparks up.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I've always found it funny how one modder will have the gall to declare their mod as the "true" vision of the game over another modder's work. You end up with "true" patches, "truer" patches, "truest" patches and so on, with each new link in the chain decrying the former as "tweaks" rather than fixes.

That said, modding is a very entitled field as far as end-users go. End users want free mods, they want to download them for free, use them for free, they want free support, they want the mod tweaking to their tastes and they are generally speaking (look at any big mod's downloads:comments/rating ratio) too lazy to bother returning to the mod's page afterwards to leave a comment/rating. It's very much a culture of free consumption. End users are only ever spurred quickly into action at the mere notion of paid mods being a thing, quickly extolling the virtues of existing donation systems (which they will naturally continue to ignore) so the gravy train can continue.

Modding is an unpaid, thankless task comparatively to regular dev work, but end users frequently adopt a "rant first, don't ask any questions later" approach. It's no surprise at all to me that some modders go off the deep end or that frequent drama sparks up.

Charging money for using somebodies else code is a great way to make sure the original creator sues you to oblivion.

Terra

Cipher
*sigh* My point was that by and large end users are lazy & entitled. Unlike the original developer, who benefits fiscally from the initial purchase, a modder's only metric of their work is user comments, download numbers, community engagement etc, which most users are too lazy to provide when you look at the ratios mentioned above. However, in the small number of cases where legal avenues are created for modders to be paid, suddenly, said lazy users suddenly become very vocal.

Long story short, I can see why many modders end up as they do; by and large they have an entitled userbase, as I outlined above, and said userbase is all too quick to start hammering the modder with rants/criticism the second things don't go their way. It's not at all hard to see how modders can quickly feel taken for granted and eventually end up losing it and flipping out.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Charging money for using somebodies else code is a great way to make sure the original creator sues you to oblivion.

There was a recent controversy with a Skyrim modlist compiler, I believe, that found a way to set up his pre-configured, pre-patched massive mod collection behind a paywall for all-in-one easy downloading and managed to make money off it. To his credit though, he did offer an apology when the primary mod author(s) of his modlist complaining bitterly about it, I think.

A horse of course

*sigh* My point was that by and large end users are lazy & entitled. Unlike the original developer, who benefits fiscally from the initial purchase, a modder's only metric of their work is user comments, download numbers, community engagement etc, which most users are too lazy to provide when you look at the ratios mentioned above. However, in the small number of cases where legal avenues are created for modders to be paid, suddenly, said lazy users suddenly become very vocal.

Long story short, I can see why many modders end up as they do; by and large they have an entitled userbase, as I outlined above, and said userbase is all too quick to start hammering the modder with rants/criticism the second things don't go their way. It's not at all hard to see how modders can quickly feel taken for granted and eventually end up losing it and flipping out.

Modders are treated exactly as they deserve. A person of sound mind has better things to do than spend 40 hours a week creating Dragonball Z mods for Crusader Kings 2, meaning that modders fall into two categories: Low-functioning Autism (balance/bugfixing mods), or Violent Megalomania (audiovisual & story mods). Before the Deinstitutionalisation movement, modders were confined to state and federal hospitals where the harm they could do to others was minimized. Now Steam Workshop serves the same purpose.

Giskard

Augur

Sorry to disappoint, but I am not this famous modder you are referring to. I do not have the patience or 'creativity' to be a modder. I am just a RPG fan and also a fan of the classic books by Issac Asimov. Yes I have sunk way too many hours into Beths' explorerfag walking simulators, (so sue me) usually with overhaul mods (but that it). However having cut my CRPG teeth on the Ultima's 1- 5 (on Apple ][ and again via Emu on PC) and every Might and Magic to completion, BG 1 and 2, and many more I have forgotten, that I have earned the right to play what the Fuck I like without judgement or scorn. But this being the :obviously: CODEX, that ain't gonna happen.

:dealwithit:

Really? I know the donations racket is pretty strong, but most of these modders look like bums, and live like it too by the stories here. Or they’re disciplined enough to hide their money.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Modders are treated exactly as they deserve. A person of sound mind has better things to do than spend 40 hours a week creating Dragonball Z mods for Crusader Kings 2, meaning that modders fall into two categories: Low-functioning Autism (balance/bugfixing mods), or Violent Megalomania (audiovisual & story mods). Before the Deinstitutionalisation movement, modders were confined to state and federal hospitals where the harm they could do to others was minimized. Now Steam Workshop serves the same purpose.

In the 18th century, you could pay a penny to watch the mad at Bedlam in London for your amusement. Steam workshop and nexus is providing much the same service for free.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Related to the above - I can't remember the key players but when Gaben/Bethesda decided to grace us with the idea of paid mods a lot of "true colours" came out in the form of REEEEEing that was heard across the internet. Especially funny were the situations where a mod-mod wanted to go paid but a required base mod didn't or vice versa.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom