Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

bddevil

Educated
Pretty ironic that I was playing MD during lockdown and now the events here in big cities in US seem somewhat familiar :neveraskedforthis:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I just installed it under WINE and DXVK because the native Linux port runs like garbage on my machine. It runs well and it reminds me how awesome this game is. Definitely the best immersive sim of this decade. Great game, with a great story and characters. I love it. But only true connoissaurs of quality can appreciate it, the rest will complain about useless garbage and join the hive mind in trashtalking it. Sheep.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just installed it under WINE and DXVK because the native Linux port runs like garbage on my machine. It runs well and it reminds me how awesome this game is. Definitely the best immersive sim of this decade. Great game, with a great story and characters. I love it. But only true connoissaurs of quality can appreciate it, the rest will complain about useless garbage and join the hive mind in trashtalking it. Sheep.
OH MY GOD! The legend is back!
source.gif

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bruh i thought you were dead. Welcome back to hell.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I realised something replaying this masterpiece. One of the main reasons i like it is that is has a world and a story that are believable and adult. Everything in that world is familiar. Even the magazine covers you find have something to tell you and you notice them and laugh. It feels like a real place, and the people feel like real people. Adam is a person you can identify with. His struggles, his losses, his hopes and dreams. I could literally just imagine it being a movie and being succesful, instead of game. I love the real world setting. Real world setting should be used far more often in RPGs. Fantasy and SCI-FI have been over-used for many decades. They are boring now. It is like we have 3 options only: Fantasy, Post-apocalyptic, Space Opera. With Fantasy being the majority. Come on man, make some modern real world RPGs, it is not that hard. Even when they try to do that, they make them slightly in the future and make them cyberpunk, because they are too afraid to just make them current modern day world. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are the closest they can get, and this is sad.

I am tired of stupid juvenile stories and medieval fantasy worlds in my RPGs. I mean yeah, you got to sell to kids too, and really adult stories don't sell that well since children and manchildren don't appreciate them, but i am just tired of playing your stupid fantasy fairy tales anymore. Perhaps that is why i really can't stand most shit that gets released these days. They are all so teenager-focused. Mankind Divided is a breath of fresh air. The rest of you can keep playing your Divinities and your Pathfinders and all that shit that are just fairy tales for 12 year olds and call them incline, i don't care. I can't immerse myself in them. They are too kiddie for my taste. Games like MD should be made more often. Fantasy and juvenile stuff are fine as long as the gameplay is fun, so Skyrim gets a pass.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
It's good, indeed, and Prague is gorgeous in this game. Great atmosphere, almost as good as VtMB. Good gameplay. It's just too short, and the ending is disapointing.

Gargaune

Magister
How does it rate to Human Revolution? I remember the plot in DE:HR taking a major dive after FEMA, which tempered my enjoyment of the game.
The main plot's a bit lackluster, it was clearly designed as a middle act in trilogy, but the game overall is far more memorable than DX3. I was having so much fun through Prague and the third DLC that I didn't give a toss over what the overarching plot was.

It's just too short, and the ending is disapointing.
Well, yes, it's a bit underwhelming, but at least mechanically the ending plays better than "press button, receive outro" like some other DX title I know...

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's also the fact that the end boss of Mankind Divided is a natural pick, where in Human Revolution the end boss is a completely random pick from the game's cast, who's doing something out of nowhere at the very end.

When people praise Human Revolution's story, I think they choose to forget what happens after the confrontation with Darrow. (Which is a really good confrontation that overshadows everything else in that level.)

Gargaune

Magister
When people praise Human Revolution's story, I think they choose to forget what happens after the confrontation with Darrow. (Which is a really good confrontation that overshadows everything else in that level.)
When people praise Human Revolution's story, I think they have much better memory than I do because I can barely remember a thing. Seriously, I ran into Eliza on my second Prague visit and was all like, wait, we're friends or some shit? I set you free, really? Was there whiskey on my breath?

Avarize

Magister
How does it rate to Human Revolution? I remember the plot in DE:HR taking a major dive after FEMA, which tempered my enjoyment of the game.
MD is more polished but also soulless. HR is the better game. Still optimistic for the next game because if they combine the best parts of both, they'll make a great game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
HR is a more complete and memorable game in terms of story, but MD generally has better level design and gameplay. I also really liked how most of it took place in Prague, which is a really nice hub, but your mileage may vary on that — not much globetrotting to be found in MD.

MD would be the superior game if it didn't feel like the final third of the game was missing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Carrion summed it up perfectly I think, but I'll just say that the story ending turning to bleh is tempered somewhat by it being a prequel to the original Deus Ex, which I feel follows through on the themes and main villains well enough.

Also the prison DLC is great.

Kainan

Learned
I realised something replaying this masterpiece. One of the main reasons i like it is that is has a world and a story that are believable and adult. Everything in that world is familiar. Even the magazine covers you find have something to tell you and you notice them and laugh. It feels like a real place, and the people feel like real people. Adam is a person you can identify with. His struggles, his losses, his hopes and dreams. I could literally just imagine it being a movie and being succesful, instead of game. I love the real world setting. Real world setting should be used far more often in RPGs. Fantasy and SCI-FI have been over-used for many decades. They are boring now. It is like we have 3 options only: Fantasy, Post-apocalyptic, Space Opera. With Fantasy being the majority. Come on man, make some modern real world RPGs, it is not that hard. Even when they try to do that, they make them slightly in the future and make them cyberpunk, because they are too afraid to just make them current modern day world. Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are the closest they can get, and this is sad.

I am tired of stupid juvenile stories and medieval fantasy worlds in my RPGs. I mean yeah, you got to sell to kids too, and really adult stories don't sell that well since children and manchildren don't appreciate them, but i am just tired of playing your stupid fantasy fairy tales anymore. Perhaps that is why i really can't stand most shit that gets released these days. They are all so teenager-focused. Mankind Divided is a breath of fresh air. The rest of you can keep playing your Divinities and your Pathfinders and all that shit that are just fairy tales for 12 year olds and call them incline, i don't care. I can't immerse myself in them. They are too kiddie for my taste. Games like MD should be made more often. Fantasy and juvenile stuff are fine as long as the gameplay is fun, so Skyrim gets a pass.
Lol:lol:

bddevil

Educated
With DLCs it's actually not that short anymore. You integrate those in the main game and it makes for longer game (no shit, I know). The prison DLC is quite good. The bank DLC mission clearly was supposed to be in the main game and shamelessly ripped from it.

Yosharian

Arcane
With DLCs it's actually not that short anymore. You integrate those in the main game and it makes for longer game (no shit, I know). The prison DLC is quite good. The bank DLC mission clearly was supposed to be in the main game and shamelessly ripped from it.
Wait I can't remember if I played the DLCs or not, now...

RoSoDude

Arcane
Even if they were to integrate the DLCs into the main game, which I'd agree would be a good thing (at least for Desperate Measures, which was so obviously supposed to be a main mission seeing as it's an objective given by NPCs that you meet in Prague proper and takes place in a location which would have been accessible by train), it would only serve to emphasize how much Mankind Divided is a game of excellent side content and mediocre main content. The problem isn't really the length, as I probably took as long to complete MD as my first HR playthrough, but rather with how bland the main missions are with a story that concludes abruptly at the end of the first act and takes a big dump on your choices.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd more guess the bank thing was part of the original game outline but got cut for time and postponed to DLC, rather than it being literally in the game and then removed to sell later. Big difference there IMO, but I know people get irritated by both.

RoSoDude

Arcane
System Rift and Criminal Past don't really seem cut from the main game to me. Desperate Measures is conspicuously so, given that it was a day-one DLC.

...boy, I had forgotten just how scummy the monetization of this game was. Even after Square Enix backtracked on "Augment Your Preorder" due to the uproar it caused, we still had entire missions locked to preorder bonuses and single-use consumable items as microtransactions. This is why I've still not played the two proper DLCs, because purchasing the season pass just feels gross even at a huge discount.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
System Rift and Criminal Past don't really seem cut from the main game to me. Desperate Measures is conspicuously so, given that it was a day-one DLC.

...boy, I had forgotten just how scummy the monetization of this game was. Even after Square Enix backtracked on "Augment Your Preorder" due to the uproar it caused, we still had entire missions locked to preorder bonuses and single-use consumable items as microtransactions. This is why I've still not played the two proper DLCs, because purchasing the season pass just feels gross even at a huge discount.

Wait... are we talking about the little one hour throwaway mission? That one was obviously from the main game, yeah. I thought we were talking about the big infiltration and murder mystery one. That one is pretty good and didn't feel cut IMO, maybe in the original plan but not cut for DLC specifically. Criminal Past is great and a real expansion.

The single-use items never bothered me because I wouldn't use cheat items to begin with.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Well of course, but the thought of even having cheat items in my virtual meta inventory makes me nauseous. It's just disgusting to sell a singleplayer game with microtransactions for fools who lack self-control to make the game easier than it already is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom