Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Japanese personal computer aesthetic is best aesthetic

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Please celebrate the art and culture of Japanese personal computers in this thread. Music, videos, screenshots, posters, hardware pics, manuals etc.

iO0shxd.png

Resources

Retro PC GAME MUSIC Streaming Radio: http://gyusyabu.ddo.jp/MP3/MP3.html

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Anyone know where to find midi's for these games? I wanna listen to how it sounds like on a mt-32 or roland sound canvas.

shywn

Savant
Anyone know where to find midi's for these games? I wanna listen to how it sounds like on a mt-32 or roland sound canvas.

Only late games (1995+) on the PC-98 have an optional MIDI soundtrack, and even then it's a toss-up between the FM synth and the MIDI (they both sound decent.) The games usually use some sort of a special format and not standard .MID. I hear you can convert some of them with a program called rcpconv (https://web.archive.org/web/2004060...ifty.com/StudioBreeze/software/sayleen-e.html) though.

Recommend Tokyo Twilight Busters, MIDI or not. Well, anything by Motoi Sakuraba. The linked recording appears to be the MIDI version.

Some of the old games that had western releases used some sort of OPL3 driver/converter to port their music over but that's beside the topic.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I hear one of the reasons why the PC-98 looks so distinct is because it uses a trademarked shade of green. Dunno if its true or not, but Barbie Pink™ is a thing.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I don't want to turn this into another VGM thread, but a big part of the aesthetic was the VGM so... Enjoy!

Also the cover arts. The cover art here is pretty good.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Ys II is famous for having the first (or at least the first of this level of quality) cinematic animated opening sequence in a video game. It is almost always brought up as a highlight of the 80s PC era.

OMG ITS THE ANCIENT LAND OF EASE

Higher

Literate

distant

Learned
EVO on the other hand, is an amazing game and definitely worth a play. It took the idea of an evolution based JRPG and completely subverted all my expectations of what I though it would be.

Cool. Was just sitting around with the files on my computer but this post made me decide to actually give it a shot.

If anyone else needs help with setup (I know I did) check this out:
https://gang-fight.com/projects/98faq/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom