Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zorbus (D&D-inspired roguelike)

eXalted

Arcane
I mentioned this in another topic but I liked that you did the bobbing animation thing with all the pc & npc tiles. It reminds me of some of the better early basic RPGs in the apple/MS-DOS era. I find it a bit visually dull when a roguelike has completely static sprites or tiles, which is probably why I could never get into the ASCII ones.

Yeah, it feels so good. If there is a slight desync, it will be even better.

I find these settings really smooth and good looking:

Wiggle speed: 4
Wiggle depth: 3
Wiggle pause: 6
Wiggle horizontal: checked

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I mentioned this in another topic but I liked that you did the bobbing animation thing with all the pc & npc tiles. It reminds me of some of the better early basic RPGs in the apple/MS-DOS era. I find it a bit visually dull when a roguelike has completely static sprites or tiles, which is probably why I could never get into the ASCII ones.

Yeah, it feels so good. If there is a slight desync, it will be even better.

I find these settings really smooth and good looking:

Wiggle speed: 4
Wiggle depth: 3
Wiggle pause: 6
Wiggle horizontal: checked

Aemar

Arcane
I don't know if this is a bug or intended but I just charmed a Snake Cultist and he summoned snakes that are hostile to me... and him.
Oh boy, another bug with charmed creatures. Thanks for reporting.
Another bug: teleporting to the merchant demiplane and back to the dungeon cancels the hostile status of some of the enemies that are in pursuit, for example those ghostly warriors.

eXalted

Arcane
Just died on Level 8. There is just one other death on Depth 8 in the Top 50. Feels bad.

:negative:

Ranger Aasimar with Poison Cloud. Spent a lot of points in Spirit to have 6 companions. They were pretty suicidal. A "Come here and stop fighting" order would be great to have. Really enjoyed it despite the fact that I spent most of the time just sitting in the back row and trying to land a shot or two.

eXalted

Arcane
How come some people reach level +20 (up to level 27 in some cases)? It doesn't seem that there is enough XP-related content available to justify such high levels even if you clear out the whole dungeon.
This tho. I was level 11 and that other guy is 17. How is that even possible?

L2uWxm8.jpg

Ooooh... this was good!

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
I changed xp needed per level at some point. Some of the older entries in the leaderboard are probably before that.

XP per dungeon level - table, calculated from 300 simulated games:

xp_per_level.png

The table assumes that all hostile creatures are killed and all skill use opportunities are successful. Level 11 is the shop level.

There is a secret area in the shop level with powerful creatures.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
The table is for the latest release. Hidden areas usually give xp from discovering the secret door and from the usually powerful creatures in there. Unless you have the Team Spirit talent, you only get 50% of the xp from creatures killed by companions. But yeah, there are cheaters. I have some checks to filter them from the leaderboard, but clearly not enough.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Finally got around to giving this a try just now. I've only played for about 30 minutes so far.

Am I wrong is or this game going to be crazy good?

xuerebx

Erudite
Any tips on starting stats - something which can ease the beginnings? I keep dying on the first floor (and I mean *a lot* of deaths).

I'm find the "easiest" with a high body stat, and moderate motion. Of course I'm sure the Mind and Spirit stats being low will come to haunt me later on, but at least I'll manage to make some progress.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Any tips on starting stats - something which can ease the beginnings? I keep dying on the first floor (and I mean *a lot* of deaths).
> Open the starting room door.
> Novice adventurer appears.
> You are dead.

This is something normal for me but I prefer it compared to the initial 15 min snoozefest of most roguelikes.

profreshinal

Arcane
exp table
Is this the old exp table? I cleared everything until Depth 8 and was only level 11 with 119269 exp.

Edit: Except for the hidden areas:
md2i7of.jpg

Just got No3 on the death leaderboard and having enough search to detect everything can give alot of extra exp. You get extra exp from detecting secret doors and traps. The traps have summons that give exp so you can set them of deliberatly. I entered D8 at level 15 and exited at 18 so it seems to me that search skillpoints(or magic for the spell) might just fully repay themselves.

Blink is really strong. It seems to never put you in a dangerous spot. Very cheap at 3 stamina.

Last edited:

profreshinal

Arcane
When I played the game on my home LAN (installation not on the same computer as the one being used for playing) it would sometimes start throwing a series of memory access violation errors. first time it happened was when I tried reading a book and I could keep playing, trying to read more books kept giving errors. Usually the errors only happened after playing for a while and then trying to save/exit. Strangely it always did manage to save and i never lost a save but the game would freeze up and task manager was needed to kill the process.(Windows version)

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I'm find the "easiest" with a high body stat, and moderate motion. Of course I'm sure the Mind and Spirit stats being low will come to haunt me later on, but at least I'll manage to make some progress.
Make a mage with 'summon animals' and 'charm'.
Win game.

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
When I played the game on my home LAN (installation not on the same computer as the one being used for playing) it would sometimes start throwing a series of memory access violation errors. first time it happened was when I tried reading a book and I could keep playing, trying to read more books kept giving errors. Usually the errors only happened after playing for a while and then trying to save/exit. Strangely it always did manage to save and i never lost a save but the game would freeze up and task manager was needed to kill the process.(Windows version)
Oh damn. There was a bug few releases ago that would give an error when you filtered book texts with a search word, but that I have fixed. Are the files in a shared folder or what kind of LAN setup is that?

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
splat.gif

Release 40

• New setting: Never flee. If on, creatures other than companions never flee. Some creatures, usually those using ranged attacks or spells, still try to maintain distance. Character obituary will not be sent to the leaderboard if this setting is on or turned on during a game. Off by default.
  • New setting: Death splash animation. Procedurally generated death splash animation instead of the "skull on red square" animation on creature death. Off by default. Thanks to Lagi for the idea.
  • New setting: Brighter darkvision. If on, the tiles seen with darkvision are a bit brighter, but only if your lightsource is unlit. Off by default.
  • Fixed a bug where you could auto reach attack a creature behind another creature. Other autoattack tweaks as well.
  • Buffs are listed when you inspect creatures with the target cursor. Previously only harmful effects were listed.
  • Small tweaks here and there.
http://www.zorbus.net

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
mushroom_soup.jpg

Release 41 (09-Oct-2020)
  • (Regular, not Greater) Amulet of Health was bugged, it didn't protect against disease. (thanks to Zero for reporting this)
  • Fixed a bug where the game unnecessarily created crash saves into the Crash-folder. You can delete your existing Crash-folder.
  • Duration listed in descriptions of items with duration effects.
  • New item: the Orb of Withering. This orb creates a necrotic field that prevents all creatures on the dungeon level from regenerating Health or Stamina (naturally, by talents, or by items) for the duration of the effect. Also affects vampiric attacks.
  • Added archetype characters (warrior and wizard) to character creation. These are pregenerated, quickstart character types.
  • Some new sound effects.
  • Small fixes and tweaks here and there. Some typos fixed.
http://www.zorbus.net

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
level_loot_1.png

Release 42
(17-Oct-2020)
  • Fixed a bug where you would not get experience points from a creature (that you have damaged) dying outside of your view. A log entry is now also made in the style of "x dies elsewhere. (n XP)". (thanks to Robsoie for finding the bug)
  • Autoattack now functions on blocked areas if you and the target are already on that blocked area.
  • Two charm effect related bugs fixed.
  • Added mass loot function to level loot. When you press [CTRL] + [ENTER] on an item, all items of that same type are picked up. Autopilot automatically pilots you through the items and picks them up. Mass loot can be used with ammunition, devices other than books (potions etc.), keys, and trapkits. Most of these items are normally autopicked, but autopick isn't used when hostile creatures are seen. It's best used after the level is cleared of hostile creatures, and you want to collect the remaining coins, potions, etc. Remember that you can use "0" on level loot to filter coins, special or unique items and devices (potions, wands etc.).
  • Level loot now shows the distance to the item directly in the list.
  • New setting: Always bright Health bars. Normally Health bars under creatures are dimmed depending on the light amount of the tile. If this setting is checked, health bars are always drawn at full brightness. (off by default) (thanks to BenightedAlizar for the idea)
  • Added Archer and Leader quickstart archetypes to character creation.
  • You can now change the gender of archetype / random / past characters by pressing [G] in the first character creation screen.
  • Small fixes and tweaks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom