Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

jf8350143

Liturgist
Gunplay looked much better in this one

Looked like a competent FPS, which it wants to be.
Funny you say that. When journalists said "Cyberpunk 2077 is a FPS" the CDPR responded with:

Cyberpunk is not an FPS. It's not a shooter with RPG mechanics either. Cyberpunk is a role-playing game with attributes, skills, perks, items, and choices with consequences. First person perspective is a tool we decided to use for narrative reasons.

Yet they still decide to change the description of the game on their website and twitter from RPG to action adventure, for some reason.

RepHope

Savant
Looks a lot better graphically since the last time they showed it. The delays have certainly helped in that regard.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Moar screenshots

EfEtAqTXsAAPscL
The meme was right
1450961832-l-php.jpg

On release day CDPR releases a statement

"We're proud of the team and all the hard work that went into creating Cyberpunk 2077 and we can't wait for all of you to play it when it's available today. As with us keeping Keanu Reeves a secret until the reveal we have one more surprise that we kept all through development. It's a secret and after you purchase Cyberpunk 2077 all secret will be revealed in the staff credit."

CYBERPUNK 2077

STAFF CREDITS ROLL :​

[ EXECUTIVE PRODUCER ]

Todd Howard

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny you say that. When journalists said "Cyberpunk 2077 is a FPS" the CDPR responded with:

They’ve been trying to push the ”not an FPS” thing for over two years. I know... But from all that’s been shown.... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, if it looks like a duck, well....

Seeing is believing, ultimately.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Additionally, I don't think I've seen anything dumber than melee weapons the size of a fucking KATANA existing in the same timeline as guns that shoot homing bullets.

Don't know or care if it's like that in the tabletop book, it's just spectacularly stupid.

Well technically speaking melee weapons are force multipliers, while a gun's power is constant.
So if you're figthing someone that's pretty much bullet proof, you stand a much greater change to injure them with a sword than you would with a gun - specially if you yourself are superhumanly strong/fast or the sword in question can cut through steel like butter (like the one in the trailer).

Avarize

Magister
Gonna play a corp origin shifty assassin my first go I think. Played something similar in Outer Worlds and it was much worse than the good guy playthrough I switched to, so hopefully CDPR do it better.
But someone might not get the message that capitalism bad if the corporate option is fun.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Watched this movie for the first time a couple of weeks back.
Can see why people in the 90's liked it. It had some cool visuals and I got this weird feeling the movie was an adaptation of some french comic.
But holy shit once the girl lands on Bruce Willis cab the pacing is all over the place. Specially the last act is super rushed - they literally introduce the girl's reluctancy to save the planet in the last 5 minutes. Then are alot of continuity errors - like that time when Bruce Willis froze his CO to death, only for him to appear alive after some 20 minutes - and the movie never explains shit like that.

Gargaune

Magister
Additionally, I don't think I've seen anything dumber than melee weapons the size of a fucking KATANA existing in the same timeline as guns that shoot homing bullets.

Don't know or care if it's like that in the tabletop book, it's just spectacularly stupid.
Heh. "Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster portable Patriot missile dispenser, but a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

On a different topic, this thread is very disappointing. There's enough Poles on the Codex that the server sweats whenever Berlin gets a new tank, and yet here we are, bloviating over the PR dripfeed with the same old "to be or not to be shit." Where's our inside scoop, already?! One of you needs to go get a dev drunk and bring home the bacon!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Wait are homing bullets LARP for aim assist, or a legit CP2020 item?

Sounds dumb as hell, either way

I wonder how the skills will affect the smart guns. They've said that for normal guns they affect some spread, recoil, reloading time and "aim time" (what ever that might mean... how long it takes to pull the sights up to your face? ... how fast can you move the reticle/sights?). Because it seems that with smart guns the recoil and spread and aiming are all eliminated, and what you have left for a skill to govern is reloading speed.

I was kinda hoping they'd only eliminate the need to use the sights, that the hand and eye implantas would've connected with the gun and measured the characters hand-eye-coordination and calculate hit chances per that with multipliers from the guns recoil and target movement. Being able to swap between a crowd control reticle (as presented in the videos) and locking onto singular tagets, but all aiming being character skill and environmental conditions (lighting, LOS, distance...) based. Or something to that effect.

------------------------------------

Nikt

Yes, I admit having "an agenda". I always do when a game that claims to be an RPG has FPS combat, because I've not seen it done so that the progression element therein feels "right" or even somewhat "good" since Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Wait are homing bullets LARP for aim assist, or a legit CP2020 item?

Sounds dumb as hell, either way

I wonder how the skills will affect the smart guns. They've said that for normal guns they affect some spread, recoil, reloading time and "aim time" (what ever that might mean... how long it takes to pull the sights up to your face? ... how fast can you move the reticle/sights?). Because it seems that with smart guns the recoil and spread and aiming are all eliminated, and what you have left for a skill to govern is reloading speed.

I was kinda hoping they'd only eliminate the need to use the sights, that the hand and eye implantas would've connected with the gun and measured the characters hand-eye-coordination and calculate hit chances per that with multipliers from the guns recoil and target movement. Being able to swap between a crowd control reticle (as presented in the videos) and locking onto singular tagets, but all aiming being character skill and environmental conditions (lighting, LOS, distance...) based. Or something to that effect.

------------------------------------

Nikt

Yes, I admit having "an agenda". I always do when a game that claims to be an RPG has FPS combat, because I've not seen it done so that the progression element therein feels "right" or even somewhat "good" since Deus Ex.

Expecting a FPS to have balanced progression mechanics is a set-up for failure. Not that it can't be done, it's just there's little incentive to do so for the audiences AAA targets.

Last edited by a moderator:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Expecting a FPS to have balanced progression mechanics is a set-up for failure. Not that it can't be done, it's just there's little incentive to do so for the audiences AAA targets.

Yeah, well, that's just it. I'm not that big on "balance". I mean obviously there needs to be some lest the game feel completely ridiculous, but I just want the systems pack a proper punch - especially if there are no dicerolls involved. It annoys the hell out of me that the premise with these things these days is that the player needs to feel like a champion from the get go, that there is no room for bad characters (unless it's all about damage progression).

It would've been better if the game did not allow the player to "aim" at all, but only point at the general direction and choose the target(s) and pull the trigger. In a sense, doing it like Morrowind, but with better responsiveness and a mechanism that prevents the situation where the succesful hit is behind two checks, the players ability to aim and a skillcheck, (like a target lock of some sort). Yeah, I know that's quite unorthodox in today's "muh realism" market.

But anyway... it's too late to moan now, and I suppose it was futile from the get go, but...what can you do.

It's just a tad disappointing that there's so little of 2020 feel in their systems.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Yeah, well, that's just it. I'm not that big on "balance". I mean obviously there needs to be some lest the game feel completely ridiculous, but I just want the systems pack a proper punch - especially if there are no dicerolls involved. It annoys the hell out of me that the premise with these things these days is that the player needs to feel like a champion from the get go, that there is no room for bad characters (unless it's all about damage progression).

It would've been better if the game did not allow the player to "aim" at all, but only point at the general direction and choose the target(s) and pull the trigger. In a sense, doing it like Morrowind, but with better responsiveness and a mechanism that prevents the situation where the succesful hit is behind two checks, the players ability to aim and a skillcheck, (like a target lock of some sort). Yeah, I know that's quite unorthodox in today's "muh realism" market.

But anyway... it's too late to moan now, and I suppose it was futile from the get go, but...what can you do.

It's just a tad disappointing that there's so little of 2020 feel in their systems.

Like you, I'm not sure how gun skill progression applies to smart guns, and I really hope they don't just increase gun damage based on stats. This works for any RPG type except for shooters, and there are few things I hate more in FPS games than The Division-esque meatshields.

compvet24

Educated
Should compile a list

Cybercunt 2077
Cyberclit 2077
Cybercock 2077
Cybercunnilingus 2077
Cybercoitus 2077
Cybercum 2077

This list is open to any additions, thank you for reading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom