Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

polo

Magister
It has some dark tones here and there but its far from horror sci fi etc. Irenicus dungeon, the planar sphere, maybe the underdark if u wish with the drow society, Athkatla its kind of "joyful" in daytime but it gets creepier at night. Its a shame all the mistic that surrounds Irenicus at the begining of the game gets fucked up when u find out hes like an angry teenager.

Edit: oh yeah the tanner was a cool quest.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It has some dark tones here and there but its far from horror sci fi etc. Irenicus dungeon, the planar sphere, maybe the underdark if u wish with the drow society, Athkatla its kind of "joyful" in daytime but it gets creepier at night. Its a shame all the mistic that surrounds Irenicus at the begining of the game gets fucked up when u find out hes like an angry teenager.

Edit: oh yeah the tanner was a cool quest.
The quest around the cult of the eyeless is also quite "dark", with the blind beholder that grants "true sight" to his followers by convincing them to pluck out their own eyes.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The hole with the cult of the eyeless is some lovecraftian shit.
It's fair to say that BG2 has some Sci-Fi horror, but a lot is an overstatement. It comes up rather regularily but it never is one of the dominating aspects of the game.

Edit: Zwei Dumme ein Gedanke.
Or the more friendly English version of "Great minds think alike".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
The hole with the cult of the eyeless is some lovecraftian shit.
It's fair to say that BG2 has some Sci-Fi horror, but a lot is an overstatement. It comes up rather regularily but it never is one of the dominating aspects of the game.
There is a lot of grim stuff, but nothing too spooky.

I mean, you do go around with Yoshimo's beating heart in your backpack for a while.

Dodo1610

Arcane
BG 1 is extremely tame for DND I would even say it gives people a wrong impression of the FR. Most Forgotten Realms books with random protagonists see more crazy shit than your demi-god character in his travels around the Sword Coast.

Infos about the upcoming stream on August 18 https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1293209680408453121/photo/1
EfJnWPUXoAAKd7h

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Lots of sci-fi horror" because of Irenicus' lab is an exaggeration.

Sphere? Mind Flayer labs in underdark? :D probably other stuff I don't remember

Thing is, BG2 was so packed with content I doubt there's a fantasy trope you can't pick out of it

Silly Germans

I don't remember super fucked up shit in BG, maybe how Erenicus was keeping nymphs as sex slaves and the whole experimentation thing. BG1 is tame. Maybe that one guy who killed his family in a blind rage because of the cursed sword?
There was also Neb the child murderer who appeared in both games. Also the little child ghost who was killed by a thief who took the teddy bear. Also little child slaves in the slaver guild. I think you could also orphanage the child in front of the circus tent if you killed its mother in spider form. It certainly has its grim moments if you take a moment and think about whats going on. I like that it doesn't really try to sell these moments as "look at me i am so evil and dark", the game is rather sober about it all.
And how on earth could you all forget the most cruel body horror that happened to the most talented Red Wizard of Thay that ever walked the earth, you imbeciles !

Codex Year of the Donut
dopplegangers widespread killing and replacing people is pretty sci-fi horror

also, spellhold guards joke about raping imoen for general dark stuff

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
New poll: what kind of giant space hamster will be featured in Baldur's Gate 3? I'm torn between the Fire-Breathing Phase Doppleganger Giant Space Hamster and the Tyrannohamsterus Rex.

Of course, Larian could go all in and let us directly interact with Boo.

Codex Year of the Donut
New poll: what kind of giant space hamster will be featured in Baldur's Gate 3? I'm torn between the Fire-Breathing Phase Doppleganger Giant Space Hamster and the Tyrannohamsterus Rex.

Of course, Larian could go all in and let us directly interact with Boo.
The invisible ones of course.

Silly Germans

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am well aware of the existence of giant space hamsters, i just don't believe that Boo is one. He is a wily crafty normal hamster, that's what he is !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom