Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
wasn't he kicked out because of his feet fetish
He posted on the codex at least once, so he literally doesn't deserve to work or, honestly, even live.

Nah his controversies are a lot more than that and you know it.

Whether he is joking around or not on his past posts, any big enough public companies will kick you out for his past posts.

Arguably indie dev might not need to do that, but for a company dependent on public goodwill through crowdfunding might as well be safe rather than sorry.

What do you mean exactly? I am sincerely asking, not trolling or anything

Jarlfrank was playing at being an edgy Nazi on the codex and other forums (NMA iirc?). Mind you some of them are quite old posts. Unfortunately, someone does some digging on his past internet footprint and bought the info to the public, resulting in controversies. There are even some related low-level Codex drama about it in this very thread iirc (of course if it is not split by Infinitron). All in all the dev team ended kicking him out for this reason.

Mortmal

Arcane
Lot of drama for something insignificant like jarl frank old posts, but being dishonest and not delivering the game is totally fine, estimated release date was 2019 on the kickstarter. They should get their priorities straight.A far too common behavior in kickstarters.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lot of drama for something insignificant like jarl frank old posts, but being dishonest and not delivering the game is totally fine, estimated release date was 2019 on the kickstarter. They should get their priorities straight.A far too common behavior in kickstarters.
You're on to something here.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

Yeah because the game won't be late if Jarlfrank is not fired. This is this, that and that. Them being late doesn't mean firing Jarl wasn't the correct decision on context of that time.

But I guess it is easy to just raging when the decision is not in accordance to your view :lol:

Mortmal

Arcane

Yeah because the game won't be late if Jarlfrank is not fired. This is this, that and that. Them being late doesn't mean firing Jarl wasn't the correct decision on context of that time.

But I guess it is easy to just raging when the decision is not in accordance to your view :lol:
I am not raging at all, i dont even care about jarlfrank(sorry dude), but those kickstarters with years and years of delay , slightly angers me. Look at torment i even forgot it existed.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
but those kickstarters with years and years of delay , slightly angers me. Look at torment i even forgot it existed.

Thing is, in general, a lot of people making KS are not really aware of the management side of thing and often underestimate the cost needed to get the finished product (or in some case plan from the beginning to use KS as stepping stone to get funding from publishers).

On the other hand in the end of the day, KS is not a pre-order (and this point is already often made clear by crowdfunding sites and I guess about 10 years' worth of failed crowdfunding projects).

Codex Year of the Donut
On the other hand in the end of the day, KS is not a pre-order (and this point is already often made clear by crowdfunding sites and I guess about 10 years' worth of failed crowdfunding projects).
If simply labeling your project as "crowdfunded" allowed you to skirt consumer protection laws then every business would do it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Firing someone because of his opinions, however controversial is illegal in most countries.

Some political parties all around the world probably made some way worse declaration on TV than anything JF could have wrote in here and they get 10-30% of the voters ...

kain30

Cipher
Can we say that chaos chronicles/realms beyond is officially dead or are we still going to beat the dead horse some more?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Can we say that chaos chronicles/realms beyond is officially dead or are we still going to beat the dead horse some more?

They plan to do early access next this September to early next year, so at least the devs believe that this isn't vapourware but I severely doubt that,

Codex Year of the Donut
Firing someone because of his opinions, however controversial is illegal in most countries.

Some political parties all around the world probably made some way worse declaration on TV than anything JF could have wrote in here and they get 10-30% of the voters ...
j*rlfrank can be sent to prison for his views

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
If simply labeling your project as "crowdfunded" allowed you to skirt consumer protection laws then every business would do it.

It is certainly a grey area, but in general, I think crowdfunding is a donation instead of a purchase. The dev is like saying "Dude I need some money right now. I will pay you back (in form a product), promise!"

Now I am not sure how the law works country to country tho, it is purely conjecture on my part.

There is a wild difference between "these people from middle east are wrecking our country so they need to gtfo" of modern right-wing EU politic vs "Hitler and Nazi killing millions of people is actually OK." While both stem from ultra-nationalism, one is clearly advocating genocide.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Some interesting tidbits about portraits and skin tone that goes with the corresponding in-game origin

KRxlVo6.png

So it's true... There is only 1 coder in their team.
hfjdvMl.jpg

Also, regarding external investors:
IvGG9Zb.png

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
Their integrity at least I suppose.

As for the game itself is this going to be our new Grimoire with the constant swings of its dead vapoware to its real every time they release something? Or is that a insult to Grimoire.

Tigranes

Arcane
Didn't they already compromise on their vision?

which vision and which compromise again?

honest question here, I am not following this game that closely
They had to narrow down the scope, if I remember correctly. They were aiming for a game with more regions/maps than what we will get.

History of every game on earth, basically, and half the time it's actually for the better. Not worried about that, more worried about them getting to do justice to core mechanics and actually finish the game.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
They had to narrow down the scope, if I remember correctly. They were aiming for a game with more regions/maps than what we will get.
Even though the initial release will only cover Cormac which features over 20-30 locations, the devs still have plan to deliver those other regions via standalone expansions.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Their integrity at least I suppose.

As for the game itself is this going to be our new Grimoire with the constant swings of its dead vapoware to its real every time they release something? Or is that a insult to Grimoire.

Going to be? I thought it had been for a few years now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also it was obvious from the start that this game was feature bloated. Everyone told JarlFrank this out of the gate :P

You can prob find pages upon pages of his apologism as far as that goes earlier in the thread, when people pointed it out.

Why do I joke that Blackguards is the best RPG of its decade? Because it actually came out and had some good core features without trying to do every little fucking thing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom