Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Way of the Samurai 3 and 4

Terra

Cipher
I still feel the original WotS has yet to be surpassed. Of particular note was a lack of true "cutscenes"; with most scenes in the game, thanks to how they deliver dialogue, you were free to run around, draw your sword & start fights in a very organic fashion (unlike 3's dedicated mini-cutscene>fight transition when you pressed L1). There was some fairly impressive flexibility in terms of what you can do with this to break the flow of events, attacking the pair who save you from the train tracks after they saved you stands out as something you'd never be allowed to do in other games. With the sprinkling of randomisation brought about through the rest of the game's systems, you're given a truly unique series of games (Shinobido is a distant cousin if you want a similar formula but with ninjas - highly recommended). It's a real shame we'll likely never get another entry, a true testament to the need for low & mid budget tier games to exist.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:
So uh, two questions about 4-
Am I supposed to recast a weapon only after it reaches max degradation? Doing it early doesn't seem to be different from refining it.
Stances, are stances tied to specific styles? The styles I have picked up seem to have only one stance on them. For instance, can I have the default Mushin style with a high stance or is it medium stance forever?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Am I supposed to recast a weapon only after it reaches max degradation? Doing it early doesn't seem to be different from refining it.
Stances, are stances tied to specific styles? The styles I have picked up seem to have only one stance on them. For instance, can I have the default Mushin style with a high stance or is it medium stance forever?
Hold up a minute... why are you larping as a samurai? Are you even allowed to do that?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember some guy over on the RPGWatch was really intrigued by the description of WotS4 but then basically saying, "Nah uh. I ain't buyin' this cuz it only got 30 FPS and there ain't no 'special fix to fix it. I gotta big $1000 dolla 144Hz monitor and I didnt buy it to play games that only run at 30 FPS! So nooo!"

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
It is with great sadness that I learnt that instead of doing a Way of the Samurai 5 game, they did this spinoff title. Looks like it was well received 70% on metacritic but the PC port was terrible.

mogwaimon

Magister
i don't remember anything about the weaponcrafting stuff but in WotS4 most if not all styles will have a single stance, but you'll get multiple styles with the same stance so there's flexibility with your moves and i think you can even do a custom style at some point. But this is not typical for the series, in everything before 4 the style was tied to the weapon so each sword had its own unique moveset which actually made it important to collect all the random swords instead of being able to just craft whatever silly-looking stat stick you wanted. like the customization sounded good in theory but I think in doing that they sort of lost part of the essence of the series since the sword collecting was a major part of it before.

Smoker

Scholar
Running them at 38 fps via ini file seems to be the sweet spot

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I liked decoupling the weapons from their movesets, it made it much more easy to commit to making a weapon and later to experiment with custom styles.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well men maybe 3 is better than 4 after all. Somehow it's got me more hooked than 4, to the point my save is 99h.
It's just move unlocking to craft swords now. So many swords to craft.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom