Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empyrion Galactic Survival - finally out of early access

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
But is it any good? What's the difference between v1.0 and the EA builds? Anything meaty?

Mortmal

Arcane
But is it any good? What's the difference between v1.0 and the EA builds? Anything meaty?
There's an inbuilt tutorial with some little story now, its as good or bad as before . Its still incomplete , while the base and ship design is great , you still have no reason to make them, except for the sake of building something pretty.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Sorry, I wouldn't have started this topic had I know there was one already for it in General Gaming. Sometimes I wonder if these crafting games are the human equivalents of skinner boxes setup by aliens observing us from space, with everyone just madly crafting. I'm glad there's some in-game guidance now however inadequate it probably is. I had to laugh when I saw the poster in the other topic talking about manically crafting things then he looks at his crafting menu and was like, "Oh, I can do a planetary motorcycle now!" then he makes his motorcycle and has no idea how to start it or what new component it might need to function. It finally broke him. I think that's how these aliens will conquer humanity ;)

"maniAcally"? you're making your own reality up dude. it didn't break me, it broke their game. no money from me. now you can fuck off together with them.

You seem to really want to have a hardon for this game, bud. I saw one of your posts you’re really really into spreadsheet simulators...this one isn’t really gonna work for you.

i like entertaining games. i have a lot of mindless fun with warframe. this game is terrible. simple as that.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
You seem to really want to have a hardon for this game, bud. I saw one of your posts you’re really really into spreadsheet simulators...this one isn’t really gonna work for you.

Yeah, I don't know what his particular syndrome is but he certainly has one. lol.
"maniAcally"? you're making your own reality up dude. it didn't break me, it broke their game. no money from me. now you can fuck off together with them.

Testy little cunt, ain't ya? But thanks for buying the game, putting many hours into it, and testing it for me so I wouldn't have to risk getting poisoned. Sorry for your butthurt, though. I have experienced buyer's remorse so I know how it feels, bro.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I tend to agree, I really like science fiction games but this one always struck me as generic shit.

With enough perseverance one probably could have implemented it as an Arma3 mod.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game is ONLY good with friends (like pretty much all games of its ilk, such as ARK or Rust), but is no doubt still janky and derpy.

There is some exploration to be had finding the unique outposts and raiding alien fortresses, both on planets and in vacuum.

You will need to run a private server in order to enjoy the game with friends. Unfortunately, you probably don't have any friends, don't know how to run your own physical server, and can't afford to rent server space from a commercial provider.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This game is ONLY good with friends
sorry man, but even hide and seek is good with friends. hell, sometimes even trading bitchslaps is good with friends.

Never said nor implied otherwise, but you can't play hide and seek over a thousand miles of fiber-optic cable.

Well you can, but it's pretty boring, since all anyone has to do is turn off their computer.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
asfasdf was talking about making a server for this game, so I figured I'd take a look at it.

The reviews on steam seem like a mixed bag, but if its fun for 50 to 80 hours, then its worth $20 I'd say.

The last game I played that was in this genre was No Mans Sky, but I do want to play a more combat focused space sim.

I saw elite dangerous on sale so I picked that up for $7, but I'm considering Empyrion also.

Are there any good "mods" for this game as a recurring theme on steam reviews is about the incomplete nature of the vanilla game?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
asfasdf was talking about making a server for this game, so I figured I'd take a look at it.

The reviews on steam seem like a mixed bag, but if its fun for 50 to 80 hours, then its worth $20 I'd say.

The last game I played that was in this genre was No Mans Sky, but I do want to play a more combat focused space sim.

I saw elite dangerous on sale so I picked that up for $7, but I'm considering Empyrion also.

Are there any good "mods" for this game as a recurring theme on steam reviews is about the incomplete nature of the vanilla game?
I've just installed it, so I cannot vouch for it, but similar researches led me to install Reforged Eden.

somerandomdude

Learned
I supported this game when it was in Alpha, and for the record, this game went straight from Alpha into full release. I haven't touched it in quite some time, so I can't comment on the game in it's current state, but I got tired of the game after the constant micro-adjustments on stuff that nobody asked for, along with implementing other stuff nobody asked for while not delivering on the things people were asking for. They pretended to listen to the community during the game's development, but often did the total opposite.

Elite Dangerous is way better than this if you're looking for multiplayer/survival/PVP type of game.

No Man's Sky is a better sandbox game.

Everspace 2 if you like space combat shooters.

The problem with Empyrion is it tries to be too much, and it falls way short of being a jack of trades, and is more like a deuce of trades (in the above categories for sure)

Just to be fair and say one thing positive about the game, so I don't appear totally biased, the strongest case I could make for Empyrion would be if you're just looking for a block builder game in creative mode, and literally don't give a damn about survival or sandbox elements, or online multiplayer because that's the one aspect of Empyrion that's not total shit. Yes, you can design and make a starship block by block, think minecraft, but you got a lot more block types, and sizes, and tools. You can even build some incredibly massive starships, and space stations. You can also make your own planets. You can check out the steam workshop to see the types of stuff people have created. It's actually better than Minecraft, or even Space Engineers as a block builder type game.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played this for maybe 4 or 5 hours today.

Seems like a fun game so far.

It's definitely not perfect, but it was worth the $10 I spent to buy it.

My first impression is that Empyrion tries to do a lot of different things, but hasn't quite mastered any of them yet.

A lot of game mechanics feel like they are 80% of the way there. For example, the motorcycle (which is the first thing you can craft as a noob), works good enough, but the turn radius and controls on it suck balls.

That being said, this game is definitely worth trying out or following if you are a fan of the survival genre.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
DarkUnderlord

You should join asfasdf and I sometime.

If you liked 7D2D then I think you'd enjoy this game.

Instead of zombies attacking you every hour or so, it's aliens instead. Similar builder vibes too, can even build space ships block by block.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
We're running a Codex server for this at the moment.

So far it seems funky and weird.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
When I last played it a year or two ago, I was disappointed that even at 60 FPS it had a less than smooth movement to it; not choppy or filled with microstutters, but felt like I was playing on an old DirectX 8 or 9 engine. I wonder if recent builds still have this issue.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I'll hop on the server after work today.

I'm enjoying it so far on the game asfasdf and I are playing. It'll be nice to have a server I can just pop into and play a few hours here or there.

Thanks DU!

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Strange that the game makes you set the EAC, most games have it defaulted on.

As to questions of lag or stuttering, I haven't experienced that myself, but my PC meets all the recommended requirements.

System Requirements​

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Dual-Core Processor 2.5 GHz or better
    • Memory: 10 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD RX 550 / NVIDIA GTX 1050 (min. 2 GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 10 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX® compatible
    • Additional Notes: SSD is highly recommended

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Quad-Core 3 GHz or better
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Vega 56 / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti (min. 4 GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 15 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX® compatible
    • Additional Notes: SSD is highly recommended

emp1.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I got a base started.

Something that worked well for me was to make 2 portable constructors right away, and just pour my excess wood into them so bio-fuel can get cooking straight away while I level up.

Protip: You can't place building blocks unless you build a "base starter block" first.

BASE STARTED.jpg

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Spanj on YouTube has a great number of episodes where he plays Empyrion in both the vanilla and Reforged Eden versions. He does run a Reforged Eden multiplayer server for his subscribers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom