Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is it my imagination or are the flood much more bullet-spongey (on heroic) in Halo 2 compared to 1? It takes multiple shotgun blasts to kill them now, and fucking tons of weaker weapon shots. They also usually kill you in one melee strike. In contrast the covenant focused levels are super easy, probably easier than Halo 1's IMO.

ekrolo2

Learned
Is it my imagination or are the flood much more bullet-spongey (on heroic) in Halo 2 compared to 1? It takes multiple shotgun blasts to kill them now, and fucking tons of weaker weapon shots. They also usually kill you in one melee strike. In contrast the covenant focused levels are super easy, probably easier than Halo 1's IMO.
The Flood are much sturdier in 2 than 1, to the point of becoming quite annoying. In 3 they're piss easy, you can one shot most of them with melee there.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Flood are much sturdier in 2 than 1, to the point of becoming quite annoying. In 3 they're piss easy, you can one shot most of them with melee there.

I'm near the end of act 2 and so far the flood have only been in Arbiter levels, so you can cloak and run by a lot of them. I'm pretty sure I vaguely remember them being in the next set of Master Chief levels though, and fuck man I might lower it to normal for that. They're just fucking annoying.

ekrolo2

Learned

I'm near the end of act 2 and so far the flood have only been in Arbiter levels, so you can cloak and run by a lot of them. I'm pretty sure I vaguely remember them being in the next set of Master Chief levels though, and fuck man I might lower it to normal for that. They're just fucking annoying.
Halo 2 was more or less made in about 18 months so the difficulty is fucked across the board, among lots of cut content. And yes, the Flood is in some final Chief levels but they're arguably at their best here because it turns the game into a proper three way faction war.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
8vjuib5.jpg

Man was that a pain in the ass the second half. Bullet-spongey flood and brutes everywhere, both of which rush you and can kill you in one melee hit. Heroic singleplayer in the original Halo is a fun challenge, but I'd call this one more just annoying. The game itself... eh, it's better than my Windows Vista memories, but not as good as the first half of the original by any stretch. The levels just don't feel as well designed, aren't as open, and the story is more "epic" but also kind of random and all over the place. It's amazing how ugly it is too, if you switch to the old graphics. Halo 1 original has this timeless smooth look to it but Halo 2 is just ugly. The visual remaster looks good though, barring some weird stuff like the game environment looking way brighter than the cutscene that just played. Anyway... I'll defend Halo 1's first half against other PC gamers who look down on it, but Halo 2... meh. Only worth it for sci-fi shooter addicts like me I'd guess.

Hope Halo 3 is better like people say.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Man was that a pain in the ass the second half. Bullet-spongey flood and brutes everywhere, both of which rush you and can kill you in one melee hit. Heroic singleplayer in the original Halo is a fun challenge, but I'd call this one more just annoying. The game itself... eh, it's better than my Windows Vista memories, but not as good as the first half of the original by any stretch. The levels just don't feel as well designed, aren't as open, and the story is more "epic" but also kind of random and all over the place. It's amazing how ugly it is too, if you switch to the old graphics. Halo 1 original has this timeless smooth look to it but Halo 2 is just ugly. The visual remaster looks good though, barring some weird stuff like the game environment looking way brighter than the cutscene that just played. Anyway... I'll defend Halo 1's first half against other PC gamers who look down on it, but Halo 2... meh. Only worth it for sci-fi shooter addicts like me I'd guess.

Hope Halo 3 is better like people say.

H2 is a garbage. Only for the fanboys and the MP because everything else about it was shit. H3 on the other hand is a legitimately great game, looks great, plays great, has fantastic set pieces with OTT action gameplay that harkens back to more classic FPSes like HL1 (which is very surprising, considering this was released around the time consolized on rail "FPS" interactive movies were all the rage). The thing to remember in H3 is you're a robocop death dealer not a soldier, the game wants you to use the big fuck off weapons like running around blasting cunts with a turret you tore out of the ground, or jumping into a big pack of enemies with the gravity hammer and sending them all flying, strafe spraying bitches with dual smgs or plasma rifles, aggressively pursuing enemy armor just to jack the occupants out and take it for yourself.... If you're playing it like a lil bitch with the battle rifle and shotgun firing from behind cover you're doing it wrong.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right now I don't get the level designer of Halo 3, first you get a gravity hammer and a flamethrower, then you have to move up a narrow corridor filled with long-range enemies so you can't close distance to use those nice toys :argh:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished Halo 3 and I wonder who had the idea for that final sequence not to have a countdown, which kills all the tension. The last few fights were also underwhelming, maybe because flood isn't as fun to fight than covenant, I guess because covenant have much more enemy variety (including vehicles) and most covenant level have dogshit level design
Though it seems that flood is much more vulnerable to plasma weapons, which made combat against the flood much easier once I realized that.

sys0nar

Educated
Halo has some of the best games in the FPS genre (1-3, Reach and ODST, ignore the rest), don't let the Codex boomers deceive you.
Combat Evolved has one of the best campaigns in FPS and 3 has best multiplayer.
Old school Halo is 100% incline, and it coming to PC is great cos now you've got literally no reason to own a fucking Xbox.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Hmm yes, I sure do love the same sequence of two rooms copy pasted three times, and this for multiple levels in the campaign. Let's add some filler backtracking through a previously played level too, while we're at it.
Truly a contender for the pinnacle of FPS campaigns.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Hmm yes, I sure do love the same sequence of two rooms copy pasted three times, and this for multiple levels in the campaign. Let's add some filler backtracking through a previously played level too, while we're at it.
Truly a contender for the pinnacle of FPS campaigns.

There are levels in the Halo games that I would put at the top of the genre. There are also levels I would put at the bottom of the genre. It's kind of all over the place. MC Collection has all levels unlocked by default I think, so you can skip the shit ones if you want.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Hmm yes, I sure do love the same sequence of two rooms copy pasted three times

Only three times? I'm pretty sure the library in Halo has the same sequence half a dozen times.

Halo has some of the best games in the FPS genre (1-3, Reach and ODST, ignore the rest), don't let the Codex boomers deceive you.
Combat Evolved has one of the best campaigns in FPS and 3 has best multiplayer.
Old school Halo is 100% incline, and it coming to PC is great cos now you've got literally no reason to own a fucking Xbox.

Hard disagree for Reach, the campaign collapsed half way through for me, just a boring slog of brutes. And I really didn't find that armor modules brought anything to the table, too limited

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
Halo Custom Edition was best pc version, tons of fun mods. Sadly its servers are now only occupied by south americans and their shitty ping. Then there was Eldewrito, second best pc halo game but its dead now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Halo 4 is arriving on PC as the final title to join the Halo: The Master Chief Collection on November 17. Now optimized for PC, experience the fully remastered campaign to embark against new foes, dust off some orbital drops in Spartan Ops, or dive right back into the multiplayer.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I used my free month of Xbox Game Pass for PC to play Halo CE Anniversary and was pleasantly surprised by the game. It's actually good.

Are later Halos good too or did the franchise turn to shit over time like everything else?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Are later Halos good too or did the franchise turn to shit over time like everything else?

I played Reach and Halo 2 so far. Halo 2 is nowhere near as good. Reach was roughly the same in quality gameplay wise, though I wasn't a huge fan of its look or story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom