Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decent games you gave up on due to particular aspect.

Kainan

Learned
Well does anyone of DX detractors know a game that does better what DX does?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tried Kingmaker twice, but the linearity kind of puts me off. Maybe I need ro progress further, I don't know.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Those games aint decent....

morrowind - pressing w
gothic - pressing w
gothic 2 - pressing w
kotor - pressing w
new vegas - pressing w
desu ex - pressing w
nwn2 - jesus

all blobbers are shit

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Heard Thief had respawning enemies.

Never played it because of that.

From the Wikia
When a zombie takes lethal or more than lethal damage from a normal weapon (such as a sword or broadhead arrow), it falls to the ground and reverts to a dormant state, but it is not permanently eliminated, and as soon as Garrett (or any NPC in Thief: Deadly Shadows) walks near it, it will rise back up again.

It's probably not a big deal or anything that ruins the enjoyment. But I do remember back then I had read about this in a review, and went "uh, nope" upon that single fact.

It's probably super unfair, but I never moved past that. :(

Duralux for Durabux

I call Deus Ex great because it is genuinely great. It would be just as great if only 5 people knew about it, but the truth is that everyone with a genuine interest in PC gaming knows it and praises it, which Dramart up there claimed was not true. It is very far from an obscure game,it's a masterpiece that's widely recognized as such.
Yet,you can't even explain why it's so great, in my eyes you are as illuminated as an adept of a sect. And it's actually true, Deus ex fans are part of a proselytic sect that treat everyone who adress flaws to their favorite game.
I can see why Fallout 1,Planescape Torment ,Jagged Alliance 2 are praised but when it comes to Deus Ex, I see a game offering nothing interesting over than overrated content(It's great because it is and because everyone tell it is but no one can explain why it is so great)by a little fanbase which target is to overhype as much as possible the game so then the game doesn't end up in the ashes.
Skyrim is just a game with huge mainstream appeal, but far from a masterpiece. Popularity doesn't mean a game is great, but when a great game is deservedly popular, it is disingenious to claim nobody cares about it.
dozen youtubers who all made their own videos about the game, and by "four fanboys" you mean several modding communities who created total conversions (including The Nameless Mod, the creators of which went on to found Logic Artists, the studio behind the Expeditions games) ."
Thanks, thus you admitted that the argument of popularity to praise Deus ex makes no sense.
Also, in one way a good game is recognized by its community and in the other way, you said it's not because of "mainstream appeal ", as if Deus ex didn't get "mainstream appeal". How do you know which game is deservedly popular? Why Deus Ex is deservedly popular? Probably not, it's may be the effect of an excessive overhype leading to everyone thinking it's great because some people say it is.
Like I said, you are ambiguous, and biased and you prove it to me.
PS: rate me retard Deus ex fans/Fanboys,Codex isn't reality.
You are fanboys as much as Bethestards.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Shock 1 - I did finish the game but it was long and painful process. I quit multiple times and returned again and again after some time due to my mild autism causing me to finish whatever shit I start. Reason? Graphics. I blame my age - I consider early 3d games beatiful, but they have to be real 3d. I love look of games like Blade Runner or Legend of Kyrandia just not for FPS. Doom and Wolfenstein were first games I ever played and they were fine. But System Shock 1 was not as Doom because of freelook and at the same time not real 3d. It just looks weird going around corners or seeing the enemies rotate weirdly while you can turn more or less naturally. Similar story with Ultima Underworld, although my toleration was better.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yet,you can't even explain why it's so great, in my eyes you are as illuminated as an adept of a sect. And it's actually true, Deus ex fans are part of a proselytic sect that treat everyone who adress flaws to their favorite game.
I can see why Fallout 1,Planescape Torment ,Jagged Alliance 2 are praised but when it comes to Deus Ex, I see a game offering nothing interesting over than overrated content(It's great because it is and because everyone tell it is but no one can explain why it is so great)by a little fanbase which target is to overhype as much as possible the game so then the game doesn't end up in the ashes.

I can tell you exactly why Deus Ex is great.

It has a good story with some twists and turns that predicted quite accurately how oppressive surveillance states would develop. It's a genuinely interesting setting and the story has something to say rather than just being shallow crap.
It has excellent level design with multiple approaches to your objectives, along with multiple choices at several stages of the game that aren't telegraphed to you (you can kill Navarra at the airfield, you can save Paul by sticking with him... both of which require you to explicitly defy the orders you are given).
The game reacts to your choices and actions. NPCs will mention things you've done before, so it feels like what you do is actually recognized by the game.
The RPG system complements the open level design. Character choices make different approaches to the levels more or less viable. And you can approach the levels in any way: be stealthy, go in guns blazing, try to sneak past the front door, explore to find a side exit, etc. Exploration and decision making is 100% player-driven.

Duralux for Durabux

I can tell you exactly why Deus Ex is great.

It has a good story with some twists and turns that predicted quite accurately how oppressive surveillance states would develop. It's a genuinely interesting setting and the story has something to say rather than just being shallow crap.
It has excellent level design with multiple approaches to your objectives, along with multiple choices at several stages of the game that aren't telegraphed to you (you can kill Navarra at the airfield, you can save Paul by sticking with him... both of which require you to explicitly defy the orders you are given).
The game reacts to your choices and actions. NPCs will mention things you've done before, so it feels like what you do is actually recognized by the game.
The RPG system complements the open level design. Character choices make different approaches to the levels more or less viable. And you can approach the levels in any way: be stealthy, go in guns blazing, try to sneak past the front door, explore to find a side exit, etc. Exploration and decision making is 100% player-driven.
Okay, I must recognize that Deus ex is known for this but in my opinion, I don't find those features particuraly exectional. Okay the game offers multiple approches to situations like Arcanum do but the gameplay(When I think of a good gameplay I instantly think of MGSV) is clunky,akward,not enjoyable so it doesn't encourage the player to try another playstyles. And as a gameplayfag, this bothers me way more than anything else. The RPG system is lacking RPG elements at the point people (Possibly trolling Btw) don't qualify Deus Ex as an RPG. Plus the story is kind of cliché, my opinion again. In the end Deus ex has 4 things done right : Level design, different playstyles, exploration,interesting story ( depending on the person)
Therefore, It's absolutly not the masterpiece everyone is talking about, it's just a good game (a good RPG for certain people too).In my opinion it's average.

Last edited by a moderator:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Deus Ex - I can still remember the preview in some Polish magazine. There was a sshot of some guy with extremely 'blocky' fingers. I thought that it was ugly and never played the game.

Thief series - in 1999 my PC could not handle the demo version. Permedia 2 was not compatible with DirectX 6 or something similar.

Bg2 - it was too fucking long. Bg1 was much better in that matter.

All multiplayer games - because I don't like playing with strangers.

Alpha Centauri - because of the UI and generally boring start of the game. I feel sorry for myself, as it looks like a perfect game for me. I own it and try to play it every couple of years, giving up after 5-10 minutes. Don't hate me.

FNV - too much shooting. And I hate shooters.

Silly Germans

Heard Thief had respawning enemies.

Never played it because of that.

From the Wikia
When a zombie takes lethal or more than lethal damage from a normal weapon (such as a sword or broadhead arrow), it falls to the ground and reverts to a dormant state, but it is not permanently eliminated, and as soon as Garrett (or any NPC in Thief: Deadly Shadows) walks near it, it will rise back up again.

It's probably not a big deal or anything that ruins the enjoyment. But I do remember back then I had read about this in a review, and went "uh, nope" upon that single fact.

It's probably super unfair, but I never moved past that. :(
They didn't mention the fact that you can permanently kill them with holy water, fire arrows, mines and flash bombs ?

Codex Year of the Donut

Viata

Arcane
Wait, are you saying you actually aren't retarded IRL?
Being a retard in the mind of RPG codex members is a compliment to me and to everyone else.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=RPG+Codex&amp=true
by RPG Codex August 19, 2014
huh, how coincidental this came only a month after someone got butthurt enough about rpgcodex to make blogposts about it
https://rpgcodexdrama.blogspot.com/
Poor Stainless Veteran.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I'll give it a shot:

Bioshock 2: Eh, I am a Daddy the whole time? This really isn't fun. Bioshock 1 was fun and creative. Bioshock 2 - maybe I never gave it a chance to get better, but I didn't care for it.
Bioshock: Infinite - So I walk through an amazing environment and just start murdering every man, woman, and child because they are racists or something? What? The idiocy meter exploded. Felt bad as the game looked great but I couldn't deal with how stupid the premise was.
Witcher 2 - seemed too arcadey - problem - keeping me from starting Witcher 3 - refuse to start that until I complete Witcher 2.
Borderlands 2 - why are they trying to sell me something every 10 seconds? Started to actually hate it, even though I played the hell out of the original Borderlands
Dungeon Siege - It actually took a while before I realized I wasn't aiming. Still bear the shame to this day - and quit once I discovered this. Can't go back!
Scarface - EA game - ok, I got a striped Cadillac right away, the music on the radio was Hall n' Oates, everything was feeling very GTA. I was really inspired. Then tried to run over a tranny - some guy with a 5 O'clock shadow wearing a dress. He got back up after I ran him over. I backed over him. He got back up. Over and over. I quit.
Skyrim - no. I couldn't finish this. It was the dullest game I ever played. Made worse by actually dumbing down Oblivion. And I paid full price for this!
LISA - Jesus, is everyone gay? It just goes too gay. Interesting kind of game - but I just had to stop.
Mount and Blade: Warband - my only save was my 200 band army vs. 700, then another 500(?), then another 500(?) unit army. I may have rubbed a few folks the wrong way, but I just couldn't stand to see my army completed slaughtered. Up until this, I was getting high off this game. Just was soul crushing - I know I would escape and raise another army, but I just felt like hell. Had at least 100+ hours in at this point.
Tyranny - Liked it, had some nice things going but I quit it as I just plain couldn't play it the way I wanted to. The convo selections just didn't reflect what I'd say, given the chance.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bioshock 2: Eh, I am a Daddy the whole time? This really isn't fun. Bioshock 1 was fun and creative. Bioshock 2 - maybe I never gave it a chance to get better, but I didn't care for it.

Bioshock 2 has much better combat than the original, so I'd argue it's more fun, not less. Story isn't as good, but gameplay is better.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've tried to get into Dragon's Dogma so many times but I just can't stick with it. All of the playable classes are super boring to me.

Pentium

Learned
Therefore, It's absolutly not the masterpiece everyone is talking about, it's just a good game (a good RPG for certain people too).In my opinion it's average.
There you've got a whole fucking recent thread with ppl elaborating on it: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/whats-so-special-about-deus-ex.134327/page-2#post-6843611. Besides, you don't seem to understand the word "hype". If a game is, almost universally, recognized as superb (nuances aside) by "hardcore"/"expert" community both in it's time and retrospectively afterwards, then it's no hype, it's more like the game is genuinely great or was back in it's time (whether it's a "masterpiece" or not is the most pointelss semantic quibbling). So there you've also got the key. The opininon of the "qualified" community, "experts", ppl with reputation, ppl who know what they're talking about, ppl who have grasped certain criteria of quality in the field, ppl who constitue an authority of sorts and therefore with some weight to their opinion (which does not have to be completely uniform). Unlike some clueless, casual consumers susceptible to hype and superficial, shallow appeals. That's right. Art vs. kitch - the agelong division. That doesn't mean you have to like the game, there's no such obligation. But if you start with strong claims it's utter bullshit, overrated etc., you're gonna be rightfully treated as a complete moron. Just like you can enjoy Z - category movies starring Van Damme's ballsack split showoffs better than Scott's or Cameron's most highly esteemed movies. But if you start presenting them as the epitome of high-grade (entertainment) cinematography and shit on the latter, be looked down on by the educated academia.
That's how it works, lad.:martini:

Being a retard in the mind of RPG codex members is a compliment to me and to everyone else.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=RPG+Codex&amp=true
It would seem you don't enjoy to be a member of the Codex then. So why the fuck do you keep stinking here and don't just drown yourself in the ResetEra swamp instead?

Last edited:

mk0

Learned
I've tried to get into Dragon's Dogma so many times but I just can't stick with it. All of the playable classes are super boring to me.
Understandable, the game has enough boring quests and copy-pasted wolves and goblins in it to turn away otherwise interested players. The game is quite charming though when you look past those issues, which is why people are still raving about it. There is worthwhile content there to be explored if you're willing to put up with it.

It took me two attempts to 'get' Dragon's Dogma. My first attempt failed because the game felt too generic and uninteresting. The second time I forced myself to commit to finishing the damn thing because I had spent my precious shekels on it. In the end I did manage to finish it and I'm glad I did. I will play it again one day once I've gotten over having to deal with all those fucking goblins and...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom