Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe... maybe... maybe... they've learned their lesson?
And this will be much better...

One can hope, no?

Ech... I will be dissapointed, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Folks here are acting as if the game hasn't been playable for months. We already have some idea of what's coming.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
WASTELAND 3 WILL B GUD

Right?
maxresdefault.jpg

20$ says it's gonna suck ass.
Who holds the money? An impartial third party or a vocally irrational edgelord?
Tim Schafer I assume. Early bird price with the loyalty discount made it $20. I've got a degenerate gambling problem though since I'm thinking it's going to suck based on everything else inXile's done and yet I still put $20 down and I don't even get any winnings if I end up being right. WHAT AM I DOING TO MYSELF
(In my defense, even though I think Wasteland 2's hot garbage I could see something I like in there. And Torment was miserable to play but had a memorable story and setting. And Bard's Tale 4 was okay even though it could've been half as long and probably would've been better for it. Maybe fourth time's the charm, and if not then $20 isn't the end of the world)

Jinn

Arcane
I'm looking forward to it as a co-op game, as they'd have to try pretty hard to fuck that up in my eyes.

If it was a single player only game, it's probably something I'd watch for awhile and maybe pick up on sale. InXile hasn't inspired much faith in me for their single player RPG experiences.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How many of them - the tons and tons of persks, skills, quirks, etc - are non-combat related, I wonder?

It stands to reason, that if you have too many combat options in the systems, they all will feel lukewarm at best in execution. And that only leads to lukewarm experience.

jackofshadows

Magister
It stands to reason, that if you have too many combat options in the systems, they all will feel lukewarm at best in execution. And that only leads to lukewarm experience.
Take a look at Underrail. The vast majority of feats are combat-related there and hardly anyone can describe the game as a "lukewarm experience", at least combat wise.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Take a look at Underrail. The vast majority of feats are combat-related there and hardly anyone can describe the game as a "lukewarm experience", at least combat wise.

Underrail is not an AAA production. Or even AA.

And for the note, Underrail is an awesome game, but I would've perhaps toned down the combat heaviness of it in order to reach some other heights in design. But that's just me, and no chip off Styg's shoulder.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh actually underrail does have a lot of good writing and really good exploration. It is a good game both for storyfags and combatfags ,it is quite the rare thing. Tho the expansion lacked side content,there was plenty of good exploration but lacked a good reason to explore it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1317

Wasteland 3: Final Countdown
POSTED: 08/18/2020

Looks like we made it! Here we are in the final stretch before Wasteland 3’s release on August 28. It’s been a long haul since our introduction of Wasteland 3’s Fig campaign back in 2016, all the way up through this year.

2020 has not been without its challenges, not the least of which for us was the introduction of working from home and a subsequent delay from our previous release date. It was a daunting prospect filled with unknowns, but the team rallied, and we quickly adapted to these new complexities. The extension on release also offered us more time to consider the feedback from the Beta and to implement much needed polish, general refinements, and focus on additional elements. We shared some of those in our last update, and we have a few more for you.

Let's get down to it.

Tactical Combat Option: Crouch
https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_4f5dd4c118744bf7bedabbc6422454b6~mv2.png

You asked for it. We did it. Feedback from the Beta overwhelmingly called out that the absence of crouch made players feel less in control of the tactical options they expected in isometric turn-based combat. In addition to the tactical abilities that characters had control over in the Beta, they will now be able to improve their hit chance, evasion, and detection time when crouching.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_e59f47b42f41431e8776d1cc6b3486f9~mv2.gif

Wasteland 3 already had a deep combat system that we think players will be learning to master for quite some time, but we were happy to act on Beta feedback and get this feature in before launch. Crouch is always accessible from the action bar:

UI & You and I
In our previously mentioned update we teased some of the newly-minted options in the UI, including the ability to toggle custom armor visuals, as well as the addition of the much coveted ‘sell junk’ option. In addition to those, we’re happy to announce that the merchant interface has also been overhauled and improved. Each individual character will now be able to be selected while you’re browsing a store’s wares, to make for easier comparison and identification of necessary gear while perusing the merchant’s goods.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_7372914cda5243cb85cf101507bcc501~mv2.gif

We’ve also implemented a minimap to help you locate nearby points of interest and vendors. This won’t take the place of the existing map, but will give you an always-available means of identifying where you’re at in the world. For those who prefer less clutter in their lives and on their screen, there’s an option to disable the minimap if you so desire.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_ea210086fad04b1e8e3be52c82596547~mv2.gif

Posthumous Permadeath
A few of the more hardcore among you have asked us for permadeath in Wasteland 3. We actually went back and forth quite a bit on this as an option, mainly because we knew the amount of development work it would need. When you can welcome story critical NPCs into your party, and approach the game content in essentially any order, and those critical story NPCs can permanently die from anywhere in the story… it’s a lot to account for. So, we are working on permadeath, but because of the additional effort, this is going to be a post-launch feature we’ll patch in for the hardcore among you for your second or third playthroughs.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_764fd72f5b1944b6a40ee7d31ae5de30~mv2.png

The Final Countdown
As you’ve no doubt seen, the Wasteland 3 Collector’s Edition was finally released into the wild. In particular, we were very fortunate to see CohhCarnage spend some time digging into this delectably radioactive treat (not actually radioactive).

We’ve really enjoyed seeing everyone’s reactions on social media when they realize how much we upgraded the Collector’s Edition (thank you Microsoft!) from what our original backer page had promised. It was a labor of love, and serves as a huge thanks to you, our backers, as we would not be where we are without you.

We’re of course not done yet. We have digital rewards, physical rewards, and your game codes still to distribute. You can expect the digital content to be made available via Crowd Ox during the week of launch (including PC and console game keys); however, the remaining physical rewards (playing cards and plushy) can be expected to ship out shortly after the launch of the game.

IMPORTANT: At your earliest convenience, please check your https://crowdox.com/login to ensure that your address is updated there and is listed correctly to receive your physical goods. As with the Collector’s Editions, once these physical items are out the door from our fulfillment center, inXile will be unable to redirect these items once they have shipped.

We’d also like to thank our Mac and Linux backers who we previously spoke to in our last update. As stated, it’s our intention and priority to get the Mac/Linux versions out the door just as soon as possible. We expect to be able to share that good news before the end of the year. Until then, thank you again for your patience. We want to deliver the best quality game to you that we can, and we know you’ve been very excited to share in this experience.

DEFCON 1
It’s mind-blowing to think that we’ve reached the final days before the release of the game. We can’t wait to see your reactions and follow along with your adventures as you and your squads work to build a Ranger foothold in Colorado … or bury what’s left of them into the powdery snow. Though we’re soon to cross a milestone with the game’s release, this is a product we’ll be supporting for the foreseeable future, and we’re already cooking on some post-release ideas.

Thank you again, Rangers! We look forward to seeing you in Colorado as the saga of Wasteland continues. Wasteland 3 releases on August 28 for Windows 10, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.

-The Wasteland 3 Team

FAQ

Q: Will everyone who pre-ordered be getting the Colorado Survival Gear Pre-Order Bonus items?
A: Yes! Regardless of whether you're a backer through Fig, or if you pre-ordered through another store, all pre-order versions of the game will be granted access to the Colorado Survival Gear pre-order goods. Upon logging into the game, and making sure you have received any available update information, you should have these items in your starting inventory.

https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wixstatic.com%2Fmedia%2Fc84f3a_7e7929587aa74aa98f6d4fc8b5378c01~mv2.png

Q: I backed the game, what happens now?

A: If you don’t already have a Crowd Ox login (which you most definitely should!), you can create your backer portal access through these steps: https://help.crowdox.com/article/wdqryg7t47-create-a-login-for-the-backer-portal On launch week (before August 28), Crowd Ox will be sending out emails through which you’ll be able to claim your game keys. At that time, any additional digital content you may have pledged for will also be made available via Crowd Ox.

Q: I logged into my Crowd Ox account and am not seeing my pledge history as I expect to. What do I do?
A: As soon as possible, please reach out to Crowd Ox support via the email you used in conjunction with the pledge. Their support team should be able to assist you with identifying or creating the correct backer portal for your Wasteland 3 pledge. https://crowdox.com/contact/

Q: I had other physical goods ordered (playing cards, plushy) that have not yet arrived. When will I get those?
A: They’re in-progress, just not quite ready yet. Due to our current work from home situation, it’s taking us a bit longer to organize the production and delivery for those items. As such, you can expect those to be delayed a bit, but we will do our best not to keep you waiting too much longer. We’ll stay in touch and you can expect that these will go out as soon as possible. Make sure you’ve logged into your Crowd Ox backer portal (link above) to ensure your current address is listed correctly.

Q: I’d like to help provide feedback about the game when it releases. How can I do that?
A: Be on the lookout for the Wasteland 3 Bug Report forums which will go live around the time of the game’s launch. Once the forum is available, you’ll find that indexed on our site along with the other Wasteland 3 forums: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewforum.php?f=56

Q: How can I stay up to date with any news and information you might provide outside of Fig?
A: We’ll do our best to share updates across all our channels including forums, Steam and GOG forums, and the inXile website news section. If you’re not already following us on Twitter though, we definitely recommend doing that when you get a chance: https://twitter.com/Wasteland

Q: There’s a bunch of digital rewards I should be getting, how do I get those?
A: Digital backer rewards (soundtrack, art, novellas, etc.) will be provided through Crowd Ox before launch. Please check the above Q&A for how to log into Crowd Ox if you haven’t done so already. The email you receive from Crowd Ox offering your game keys will also contain digital reward information.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Inspite of everything. This is the most intriguing release of this year.

If it turns out shit, there still Cyberpunk to experience and find it even shittier, so there's that too.

jackofshadows

Magister
Underrail is not an AAA production. Or even AA.
How exactly overall production quality affects internal mathemathical systems? The problem with too many combat-related options might lie in a broken builds and such but not with lukewarmness as I see it.
Underrail feels like a TB Diablo, travelling is boring, fighting is boring, too much junk, nothing much left to enjoy ...
Assuming you're a genre veteran, this feedback sounds like you haven't made it far into the game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
How exactly overall production quality affects internal mathemathical systems?

You can see it in how the games work and how they cater to their "target audience". Underrail is clearly targeted at a niche indie market.

The problem with too many combat-related options might lie in a broken builds and such but not with lukewarmness as I see it.

The caveat of too many options is that none of them feel special or needed in the end, they are just there for the need of the feel of progression. The "broken builds" are within the method of design, so it is lukewarm or outright bad inspite of the production values or intents. Give it a bit of a thought and it will open up to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom