Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline POST-ATOMIC Resumed

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Trying to get gameflow worked out, similar to Grimoire but maybe more streamlined.

Should I get rid of character "library" and just start the game with brief creation of 4 characters ala EYE OF THE BEHOLDER then start in map?

With a QUICKSTART option so you can even skip this and jump right into game but no actual library?

!!!!!pa_ss1.png

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is probably the first post-apocalyptic blobber ever made, except maybe for some Japanese stuff like the post-apocalyptic level in Etryan Odyssey. It had a great vibe and this screen kind of reminds me of that.

And yeah, I think that "New Game" should take the player to the character creation and library, so there is no reason to have two buttons for that. You can even skip the Quick Start button and instead also include it on the "New Game" page as one of the options alongside new character creation.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This is probably the first post-apocalyptic blobber ever made, except maybe for some Japanese stuff like the post-apocalyptic level in Etryan Odyssey. It had a great vibe and this screen kind of reminds me of that.

And yeah, I think that "New Game" should take the player to the character creation and library, so there is no reason to have two buttons for that. You can even skip the Quick Start button and instead also include it on the "New Game" page as one of the options alongside new character creation.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/907820/Aeon_of_Sands__The_Trail/

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

I'm listening. Thinking the flow through, so that means you would click "NEW GAME" to go into character library, where you could either create your party from scratch or load existing characters as with Grimoire or just hit QUICK START to load and start? ASSEMBLE should still exist so you can load a party you have previously saved as with GRIMOIRE. This sounds like it would work.

Right up front, I am aiming for a game of about 40 hours and no more. There is also no open world - unless you consider FALLOUT style fast map travel to be open world. The travel between locations will be represented as map trail as in FALLOUT with occasional random encounters.

P.S. I have tried a few things with character portraits and would really like to see them at the bottom on a permanent HUD with similarity to FALLOUT 1 except nowadays the filthy casuals complain so much about permanent UI features because it makes them go full autist if they can't see the entire screen.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I don't know if any of you know Philip K. but I have been saving a pack of his textures for about 15 years waiting to use them in a post-apoc for just the right feel. I have built some maps in ProBuilder, will be loading screenies soon to showcase them. They have a delicious stylized post-apoc feel to them I really love ... sort of mini-RAGE in a way.

Kralidor

Barely Literate
I don't know if any of you know Philip K. but I have been saving a pack of his textures for about 15 years waiting to use them in a post-apoc for just the right feel. I have built some maps in ProBuilder, will be loading screenies soon to showcase them. They have a delicious stylized post-apoc feel to them I really love ... sort of mini-RAGE in a way.
Fantastic! Rage has one of the best apocalyptic atmospheres ever seen. As a Wasteland fan I am very excited to follow this project.

grimace

Arcane
Grimoire II

Grimoire II: More Grim

Grimoire II: Even Grimmier Than Before

Grimoire II: More Grim More!

I'm listening. Thinking the flow through, so that means you would click "NEW GAME" to go into character library, where you could either create your party from scratch or load existing characters as with Grimoire or just hit QUICK START to load and start? ASSEMBLE should still exist so you can load a party you have previously saved as with GRIMOIRE. This sounds like it would work.

I like the idea of the QUICK START that jumps right into the gameplay with higher leveled characters and access to spells/abilities to test. Consider this a vertical slice of the game with hints of How to Play (Tutorial). Then reach an End Boss and ...

The Apocalypse kills the entire party.

Now you create your own party with the knowledge gained from the quick start Prologue section of the game.

Maybe this gives you motivation to kill that big bad boss with your self created party?

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
If this project actually releases by the end of the year and doesn't result in a Grimoire timeline sort of release date, I will be amazed. Hesitantly excited and optimistic for a post-apocalyptic game in this genre. Provided screen looks great already.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Did some more work on scaling of UI to any resolution including some 4K testing. Poorly documented in Unity but the UI Scaler with "Preserve Aspect" and Aspect Ratio controller script is a must.

About halfway through big exposition of cutscenes showing the chronology of the Post-Atomic world and where all the strange critters and human mutations occurred naturally during the prolonged warfare of WW3 and WW4. Very effective quick education for the player in the character classes and castes.

Trying to get character huds right for a few screenshots of the blobber environments that exist at present and a sample of the way the turn-based combat looks.

Striving hard to keep the art design similar to GAMMA WORLD but when you're an indie you have to compromise.

P.S. Found some great speech synthesis to stand in for Ron Perlman to narrate the text!!

!!!!pa_ss1.jpg

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Post-apocalyptic isn't my usual setting of choice but I'll buy day one to show support and for making Grimoire. The screenshots look pretty cool, nailing that dilapidated world and I like the touch of adding overgrowth to the crumbling buildings.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Where's that Cthulhu-something game you were up to last year Blakemore

It's damn close. So close and I shelved it. I needed more 2D enemies and I built the entire game with only 1 to test in turn-based combats. It's a hybrid adventure game/turn based RPG. It's got a great story too, totally unconventional. I just reached a point where it flatlined and I couldn't think of where to go to finish it. So I shelved it. Good thing I didn't import the UWP into that project and trash it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HUD with similarity to FALLOUT 1 except nowadays the filthy casuals complain so much about permanent UI features because it makes them go full autist if they can't see the entire screen.
I do not see how this is a concern, assuming you will be making the viewport like Grimoire: Heralds of the winged exemplar.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
HUD with similarity to FALLOUT 1 except nowadays the filthy casuals complain so much about permanent UI features because it makes them go full autist if they can't see the entire screen.
I do not see how this is a concern, assuming you will be making the viewport like Grimoire: Heralds of the winged exemplar.

This has the PC portraits floating over the 3D with much reduced UI controls very similar to Wizardry 7.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Cleve, can you PLEASE make sure we have the ability to ALT+Tab between the game and other windows? Not being able to that with Grimoire is a PITA.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Did some more work on scaling of UI to any resolution including some 4K testing. Poorly documented in Unity but the UI Scaler with "Preserve Aspect" and Aspect Ratio controller script is a must.

It is, but make sure you tie it to either full width or full height. The weighted average is an unpredictable recipe for disaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom