Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

laclongquan

Arcane
I wasn't talking about actual European lore, but derivatives based on it. Now I'm sure you are all up in arms about this, but really - your Asian lore simply hasn't created much interesting *derivative* work. Nothing outshines European based lore in that regard. ....
To illustrate the problem of your much ignorance-at-work, let's use some popamole and populist examples. I hate to use them, but anything higher level than that will get your eyes crossed and your mind blanks.

Take Romance of Three Kingdom setting. This is an historical setting, which is the basis, the base for everything else built upon.

Manga, manhwa, and chinese language comics are full of derivatives about them. They are not the same, or people wouldnt buy them. I will not bother to list them here since we would be at it all day.

In games there's no basic version of ROTK. All of them are derivatives from the ROTK history version, which is based on two or three different books, and two most popular TV shows in the 80s and 90s.
++ Take Dynasty Warriors series, with the latter tittles more and more outrageous than the earlier.
++ Take Sengoku Warrirors series. non-Japanese play them because they are derivatives of ROTK, you can imagine playing in its much-different yet much-similar setting.
++ Okay, you can argue the ROTK series follow much closely to the historical version, the basic version. But it's still derivatives.

In film the derivatives are worse, both literaly and figuratively.

Period. Now for another, much higher level.

You should have heard of Journey to the West setting. A monk, a monkey, a pig, and a river monster (plus a horse) go to West to bring back Buddha's scripture.

Now remove the main characters, leave the setting behind. It is that setting that has so much derivatives about it.

You have kingdoms of humans dealing with monster in all form of evolution.
You have advanced humans dealing with monster, or with kingdoms.
The other above, but instead in medieval setting, move to modern setting.
The other above, but instead in medieval setting, move to much more farther, post-modern setting. Kinda, monster civilization in future, and advanced human civilization in non-SF setting.

Take Prince of Qin game, and Jade Empire. They can be considered to be advanced humans dealing with monster, or with human kingdoms in Qin-Han period.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about actual European lore, but derivatives based on it. Now I'm sure you are all up in arms about this, but really - your Asian lore simply hasn't created much interesting *derivative* work. Nothing outshines European based lore in that regard. ....
To illustrate the problem of your much ignorance-at-work, let's use some popamole and populist examples. I hate to use them, but anything higher level than that will get your eyes crossed and your mind blanks.

Take Romance of Three Kingdom setting. This is an historical setting, which is the basis, the base for everything else built upon.

Manga, manhwa, and chinese language comics are full of derivatives about them. They are not the same, or people wouldnt buy them. I will not bother to list them here since we would be at it all day.

In games there's no basic version of ROTK. All of them are derivatives from the ROTK history version, which is based on two or three different books, and two most popular TV shows in the 80s and 90s.
++ Take Dynasty Warriors series, with the latter tittles more and more outrageous than the earlier.
++ Take Sengoku Warrirors series. non-Japanese play them because they are derivatives of ROTK, you can imagine playing in its much-different yet much-similar setting.
++ Okay, you can argue the ROTK series follow much closely to the historical version, the basic version. But it's still derivatives.

You should have heard of Journey to the West setting. A monk, a monkey, a pig, and a river monster (plus a horse) go to West to bring back Buddha's scripture.

Now remove the main characters, leave the setting behind. It is that setting that has so much derivatives about it.

The other above, but instead in medieval setting, move to much more farther, post-modern setting. Kinda, monster civilization in future, and advanced human civilization in non-SF setting.

Take Prince of Qin game, or Jade Empire. They can be considered to be advanced humans dealing with monster, or with human kingdoms in Qin-Han period.
Not to mention tons of other pseudo-historical settings, like ubiquitous Sengoku derivatives, with constant re-imagining of historical figures and events. Granted, as Japan is in deep decline right now, most re-imagining comes in form of lolis and isekai. Still, even without Japanese history, Japan has a couple of epic fantasy with more or less unique flavor, Juuni Kokuki, Guin Saga, and at least a couple of others.
China also has this xianxia and wuxia tradition, which I know little about, as I don't understand a word of Chinese, and the translations of the works are often shit. Still, it has conventions, plots and cliches which must speak to the Chinese consumer, or the won't be as popular. They even produced a couple of good games in the setting, Chinese Paladin series, probably a couple of others I'm unaware about. We also had "The scroll of Taiwu" thread on 'dex, haven't checked it recently, but the game was quite nice, even with mostly machine translation.

laclongquan , maybe it's not the thread for this, but I often wondered, are there Vietnamese RPGs, and if yes, are they made in jRPGs mold, or in western one?

laclongquan

Arcane
laclongquan , maybe it's not the thread for this, but I often wondered, are there Vietnamese RPGs, and if yes, are they made in jRPGs mold, or in western one?
Tentatively no.
There was one or two web-based text game where we used to insert Vn setting. but the content is tiny and the balancing is shit so noone play them.

The major AAA games just broke the teeth of some major game companies. I think it took them a year of development before throwing in the towels.

Making games with VN content is sirius bizniz. We cant do it.

(VN games about different content is of course, existing. But we are not talking about them here)
(Studios making games for major brand do exist, but I think they only do art/engine/graphic. The writings are not done here.)

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
It's funny how Tolkien drawn from all kinds of mythos and history and yet what he created people turned into caricature dull banality and all people can think of is dirt and did english longbows suck or what

Careful Josh. You don't want it to look like you oppose the chimps destroying your cities.
ec4epxhwaamyei7ezj7u.png
Ackshually, it's systematic racism who burns shit and steals yeezies! Probably shits up the parks too!

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Take Prince of Qin game, and Jade Empire. They can be considered to be advanced humans dealing with monster, or with human kingdoms in Qin-Han period.

Autistic drivel.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wearing a mask during sex seems like really bad advice. I know Eyes Wide Shut never got into logistics, but sex is usually associated with increased heart rate and breathing. And a mask is going to restrict airflow into your mouth and nose...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Sawyer circa 2010

iu

Sawyer circa 2020

iu

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom