Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Actually decent mobile RPGs (that aren't just ports from superior platforms)?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
FF7 Crisis Core is pretty decent in both gameplay and story.
I had a blast with that on my PSP. I didn't know it is available on mobile.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
A shame the mobile games subforum was thrashed, but at least there is still this thread to spread the word about the few good games there are on the platform.

Here's a few I found during my recent travels:

DEAD AGE:
7FLdoEHCfqNUyQGGxQ9NrT8KmSyMjkjRqcrRgsdToyKM-TjftlQI3p_Ve5aHQ1yKzGMf=w3072-h1454

Prkwlu_xYjcCmiWqK5GFQg3nf7uc4I4T_eVxq6Zc_V2M2P7LAnVRXvL-1rU98KRjtA=w3072-h1454

Actually one I had wishlisted on Steam before the port coming to mobile.

"Survive the zombie apocalypse with a “Final Fantasy” turn-based combat and permanent death! Manage survivors, craft materials, and make difficult decisions."

Recent Reviews:
Very Positive (27)
All Reviews:
Very Positive (2,589)

It's available on Google Play for cheaper. Had a good time.

DUST AND SALT:
mF2A3M7O4fa8qyq82zlU8IsID9xUswgKV6Sg9QCjqKTlk6dHCKehOYjgtGkjZYJwPRU=w3072-h1454

Similar situation. Had it wishlisted on Steam, saw it released for cheaper on Google Play and bought it. It's a short and fun mix of CYOA with Tactics(very simple in that regard, but a good game nonetheless)

There's a "Sidequel" called Dust and Salt: Battle for Murk which I recommend as well. Loved the art and the story on both.

(I know they are ports from superior platforms, but FUCK YOU)

Abhay

Augur
Andor's Trail

Came across while looking for one and I find it very good. It is a turn based and a free and open source app

A handy database is also maintained giving you complete info, which matches with version updates on the playstore. There is a separate forum for discussions too.

Overall it's a great game to pass some time. Very low on battery consumption allowing you to easily spend long hours without recharge. Graphics are excellent for my taste. Quests are largely not-so easy. Map is quite big with simple NPC interactions. There are many things that aren't obvious and left upto players to figure out.

Just try it out...and experience yourself

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember there is some mobile games that have its own thread in the codex.

It is some RPG series, combat is on 3x3 grid I think? There are 3 games in the series, the 2nd one is set in a dessert fantasy settings. The 3rd game is more open world with character generation.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It is some RPG series, combat is on 3x3 grid I think? There are 3 games in the series, the 2nd one is set in a dessert fantasy settings. The 3rd game is more open world with character generation.

It is this: http://www.talesofillyria.com/episode-three/

The games is some orgeon trail RPG hybrid iirc, I enjoyed the first 2 games.

Sadly it seems the games are delisted from google play store, not sure if its in ios or not. I am pretty sure you can still get the APK somewhere

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It is this: http://www.talesofillyria.com/episode-three/

The games is some orgeon trail RPG hybrid iirc, I enjoyed the first 2 games.

Sadly it seems the games are delisted from google play store, not sure if its in ios or not. I am pretty sure you can still get the APK somewhere
Pretty well known on the Dex anyway, and yeah, @little_killerz got discriminated by Google because he identified as an attack helicopter.

Lhynn

Arcane
Andor's Trail

Came across while looking for one and I find it very good. It is a turn based and a free and open source app

A handy database is also maintained giving you complete info, which matches with version updates on the playstore. There is a separate forum for discussions too.

Overall it's a great game to pass some time. Very low on battery consumption allowing you to easily spend long hours without recharge. Graphics are excellent for my taste. Quests are largely not-so easy. Map is quite big with simple NPC interactions. There are many things that aren't obvious and left upto players to figure out.

Just try it out...and experience yourself
Problem with andors trail is how very slowly its updated, how small the updates are, and how grindy the game is, with drop rates that are in the 1 in 50.000 chance.
Its a good game, but the flaws are many and they get in the way of the fun.

Abhay

Augur
Problem with andors trail is how very slowly its updated, how small the updates are, and how grindy the game is, with drop rates that are in the 1 in 50.000 chance.
Its a good game, but the flaws are many and they get in the way of the fun.
This is my first time experience and so far I am not finding the game "grindy" as such. Just enjoying the game as an adventure - completing quests, exploring and discovering new areas and NPC's.

Spent around 40 hours and still there are areas on the world map left untouched.

Sure, the players would be tempted to grind as much as possible to become stronger in order to access many areas that are very difficult to clear and of course the sweet loot
But, I am not playing the game in that manner.

The game can be enjoyed without the need to grind a lot if one is not in the rush to complete the game.

Also the drop ratio you are mentioning only applies to legendary/rare stuff. There are a lot of awesome items with the merchants if you save enough gold which will help a lot to boost the base character stats in irder to take on the enemies.
With enough knowledge available now, I can make the second playthrough even better for my character with proper investment on skills and purchase of gears

Some amount of grinding will be definitely required but its not as bad as you think. It is perfectly well within the acceptable limits for my taste

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom