Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter SKALD: Against the Black Priory - retro RPG inspired by Ultima

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SkaldRPG The usual term is "checks" rather than "tests".

https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/06/game-design-tests-in-roleplaying-games/

Game Design: Tests in Roleplaying Games

“Roll for perception!”, “How much is your Reflex save?”, “#IF(Strength>15)#THEN(‘You successfully lift the gate!’)”

Attribute tests are a staple of the roleplaying game (RPG) genre. As a narrative, text-heavy RPG, “SKALD: Against the Black Priory “is no exception.

Diplomacy.png

An example of nesting an attribute test (Diplomacy) into dialogue. However, the implementation is a bit faulty. Read on to learn why!

Even though such systems might seem trivial, I find that they require quite a bit of consideration to design and implement successfully. The following are some of my musings on the subject and hopefully this might serve as a basis for a broader discussion of the subject.

There is also a little treat for old-school RPG and Ultima fans at the end of the article so stay with me!

What do I mean by “Attribute-Tests”?
Basically, an attribute-test is a test against one of the attributes an RPG character has. This could be a test against the characters “lock-picking” skill to try and open a locked door or a test of the characters “strength” score to try and lift a chest full of gold or even checking a non-numeric character attribute (such as seeing if the character is the right class to join a guild).

For the purpose of this article, I’d also like to divide attribute-tests into two rough categories: “systemic” and “scripted”.

Systemic attribute-tests are hard-coded into the game’s sub-systems. Rolling for initiative at the start of combat, or rolling to hit an opponent are examples of this.

Scripted attribute-tests are added at the content level of the game (as opposed to in the engine itself) – often through some form of scripting language and they are often non-combat related. An example of this might be testing the characters charisma score to try and persuade an NPC during a conversation. These are the types of tests we’ll be talking the most about in this article.

d2ef0v40seqz.png

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Why use Attribute-Tests?
Systemic attribute-tests are as old as RPGs themselves. This is because they are so closely tied to the wargame-esque style of resolving conflicts with dice that was the basis of early RPGs such as “Dungeons and Dragons”.

Scripted attribute tests are a bit less ubiquitous (especially in early CRPGs). Due to technical constraints, early CRPGs placed more emphasis on combat and less on roleplaying and dialogue-based problem solving. It wasn’t really until games like Fallout and the infinity engine games (the Baldur’s Gate series, Planescape: Torment etc) that developers really started exploring a wider use of attribute-tests to enrich the dialogue and storytelling.

In more modern CRPGs, scripted attribute-tests are less wide-spread than you would think. This is probably due to the fact that they often require more complex character development (you need non-combat skills), more storytelling using text (which might turn away certain demographics), and they are often associated with branching narratives (which are more expensive to make).

16-Torment_2008-07-04_21-15-25-39.jpg

Planescape: Torment

So this begs the question: Why do we include scripted attribute-tests in CRPGs at all?
  • They remind us of the genre’s tabletop roots by invoking the verbal interplay between the game-master and players.
  • They can add suspense by using random “dice-rolls” to resolve non-combat challenges.
  • They can add resource sinks by introducing a wider array of challenge-types for the players to overcome.
  • They show progression by having the players eventually finding themselves being able to do things they couldn’t before (beyond combat).
  • They allow for a wider range of player expression by giving the player more ways to interact with the world via their attributes (such as talking your way past enemies instead of fighting them).
  • They can gate content either by holding the players off until they reach a certain level of skill or by giving varying narrative experiences based on character build.
The point is that scripted attribute-tests add a bunch of interesting tools for CRPG designers. That brings us to the next point:

Design Considerations
The following might seem pedantic but there is a surprising number of variables to tune when implementing scripted attribute tests successfully. Here are a few considerations:

OVERT VS HIDDEN TESTS
In any CRPG, a lot of the script logic going on under the hood will be hidden. This is a good thing since it’s not necessary for the player to know that the script discreetly checked to see if the party was carrying such and such item when entering such and such area. Games like the early Fallout games or Baldur’s Gate does this extensively and you’ll have different dialogue choices based on things like your charisma or your intelligence etc.

Baldurs-Gate-3.jpg

Baldur’s Gate

The advantage to this is that it hides a bit of the inner workings of the system and it makes it harder to “game” the system. Rather than worrying about how many ranks you have in a given skill, the emphasis might be placed more on having an immersive roleplaying experience.

This, however, is also the disadvantage of this approach: It robs the player of the ability to make informed decisions about how to build their character since they can never be sure about how the mechanics of the game work. Was the outcome of the conversation the result of poor dialogue choices or was it the result of a hidden charisma test?

RANDOM VS DETERMINISTIC
When the character performs an attribute test, is it resolved through a random “dice roll” or will it always succeed or fail based on a threshold (such as in Fallout: New Vegas)?

nvdialogue.png

Fallout: New Vegas

If the test is deterministic, does the game show you (or even allow you to use) options with tests that it knows you cannot succeed?

On one hand, it does show players what they might work towards, whilst on the other hand it can look a lot like an invitation to try and “game” their character build towards certain solutions.

Randomized tests, on the other hand, might cause players to save before every test and reload until they succeed.

HIDDEN DIFFICULTY?
Does the game explicitly show the difficulty of the test? If so, how is this expressed to the player? By a form of difficulty class (“DC 15” – what does that even mean?) or a percentage chance of success?

Do you need to foreshadow the consequences of failing the test?

345b4b74e8ca2201ed3e796a5e565874-700.jpg

Pillars of Eternity

Going back to the solution chosen in Fallout: New Vegas (showing you both “legal” and “illegal” choices AND their difficulty), this removes a lot of the uncertainty or risk associated with the test.

On the other hand, it also makes it 100% clear what is required of the player and allows them to make well informed choices both on how to deal with the situation at hand and as to how they should develop their character.

Some Advice
The following is a handful of principles I’ve arrived at when working on implementing attribute tests in SKALD. This is my subjective and semi-professional (at best) opinion so take it for what it is.

GAME MECHANICS ARE A LANGUAGE
Game mechanics are saturated with meaning and when we use them, we are “talking” to the player. Presenting the player with a dialogue option to use their Athletics skill might mean that we are saying “Hey, there is a cool reward behind this option for players who invested in athletics!” or we might be saying “You better have a decent athletics stat or the game will punish you”.

The thing is, even if we don’t explicitly include a message, players will supply their own. So in other words: It’s a good idea to figure out what you’re trying to say with your tests and then keep that message consistent.

xh0lcwewwr221.jpg

The Outer Worlds

DON’T SET TRAPS FOR YOUR PLAYERS
Tying in with the point above, you should never create traps for your players with your tests. This doesn’t mean that tests can’t have severe consequences for failure. It does, however mean, that if they DO have severe consequences, this should be clearly communicated throughout the game.

For instance, say your game hasn’t punished the player for attempting tests in which they have low chance of success so far. Then, suddenly you including a test where failure causes automatic player death. This usually poor design – not because the consequence was harsh, but because the player had no way of anticipating it.

So to reiterate: keep the message consistent!

DON’T FIGHT HUMAN NATURE
We don’t really get to decide how people play the game. If you include difficult tests with severe consequences, players will save-scum. If you gate cool content behind certain skill-tests, players will speculate in “gaming” that skill.

It’s usually a bad idea to try and sanction such behaviors. Instead, try to ask yourself why the players are acting the way they do.

2662644-3645419381-img-4.JPG

Knights of the Old Republic

In terms of attribute tests, the answer is often that players don’t like being punished and they HATE having things taken away or kept from them. You might need to…

MAKE FAILURE INTERESTING
This is a big one! For narrative design in RPGs, I would say it’s a bit of a holy grail. As any tabletop RPG player will tell you, the most fun sessions are often the result of failed skill checks. How to pull this off is a big topic and I’m can only supply my personal take on it.

As a general rule, I would say that a good starting point is to avoid making failures feel like punishment. The players don’t control the roll of the dice and if a player ends up feeling like they are being punished for failing a 95% test they might (rightfully) feel unfairly treated.

One way of “improving” failures is to offer rewards whether the player succeeds or not but give a bigger reward for a success. Players love rewards and they especially hate missing out on stuff due to the roll of the dice.

Example:A player is using Diplomacy to try and get information on a subject from an informant. A failure might still yield the relevant information whereas a success will additionally have the informant give the player an interesting rumor that leads to a hidden reward.

Another approach is to consider a test as a narrative branching point where both branches (success or failure) are equally valid but play out differently.

Example: The players are trying to get into a castle and they attempt to either sneak or talk their way past the guards. If they succeed: Fine! But if they fail, instead of forcing the players to now kill their way through the whole castle, the guards might give the players an option to surrender and the players might find themselves in a cell they now need to escape from by inciting a prisoner revolt.

What techniques do you use for making failure interesting? I’d sure love to hear them!

DON’T MIX TESTS AND CHOICES
Attribute tests are often presented in the same setting as choices (e.g. moral, tactical or thematic choices). Be careful if you overlay a moral choice onto a skill check.

Let’s say the player is interrogating a prisoner and the two choices are to either hurt the prisoner or use diplomacy to get what you need. So far so good.

The issue becomes when the writer phrases the diplomacy option as the player threatening to kill the prisoners family.

The player might have played their character as a charming witty bard up to this point but now you’re forcing the player to chose between using their favorite skill or acting out-of-character.

An example of this is occurring in the first image of this post. There we see a conflict where I’ve made it so that using diplomacy requires you to be kind of an asshole. Not good design at all.

960x0.jpg

Mass Effect

DON’T MAKE DUMP-STATS
Does your game have 8 skills that are all used in attribute tests? Make sure they all get enough screen time throughout the game or it might feel like a trap to invest in one of them. In general, I think it’s better to have a handful of well utilized attributes rather than a lot of underused attributes.

In Closing
I’m writing this article because it helps me to explore the subject for my own part. I certainly don’t have all the answers and if you have comments, ideas or differing perspectives I would love to hear them!

Feel free to look me up on Twitter or join the SKALD Discord “game development” sub-channel to discuss the subject in more depth!

But before you go…

Introducing: “Corven – Path of Redemption”
If you’re reading this, chances are you’re an Ultima fan! Well, I’ve got some great Kickstarter-news for you:

Corven – Path of Redemption is a story-driven, open world RPG inspired by the Ultima series. Richard Garriott contributed to the storyline and his alter ego “Lord British” appears in the game! Check out their Kickstarter page where you can find a trailer and a playable demo, and consider becoming a backer to make this spiritual Ultima successor happen!

That’s all for now! Have a fantastic day everyone!

Cheers!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
You're putting such an emphasis on chatting with NPCs that I'm disengaging from your discourse, I disagree with this modern interpretation that interacting with a GM translates into chatting with NPCs, that's only a very small part of it.

In Wasteland there are a lot of situations where you will manually choose to ump, swim, dig, set an explosive, use a rope or disarm an alarm, which triggers the appropriate stat check, which in my opinion is a better interpretation of non-combat interactions with a GM. I really would not call Baldur's Gate a good example of a game which translates non-combat interactions of P&P to computers, sure there are narrative choices during dialogs which are part of the dialogs with a GM, and you can kill every NPCs and steal, but it's really optional side options secondary to simply killing everything in your way and occasionnally disarming a trap, it's very different from Fallout which has a world which is meant to be interacted with the way the player wants to, in Fallout there's a constant dialog between the player and the game.

We could discuss about whether keyboard keyword dialog is a better interpretation than dialog choices of chatting with a GM as well but it's not the main thing I had in mind, the main thing is really about directly using skills.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
You're putting such an emphasis on chatting with NPCs that I'm disengaging from your discourse, I disagree with this modern interpretation that interacting with a GM translates into chatting with NPCs, that's only a very small part of it.

In Wasteland there are a lot of situations where you will manually choose to ump, swim, dig, set an explosive, use a rope or disarm an alarm, which triggers the appropriate stat check, which in my opinion is a better interpretation of non-combat interactions with a GM. I really would not call Baldur's Gate a good example of a game which translates non-combat interactions of P&P to computers, sure there are narrative choices during dialogs which are part of the dialogs with a GM, and you can kill every NPCs and steal, but it's really optional side options secondary to simply killing everything in your way and occasionnally disarming a trap, it's very different from Fallout which has a world which is meant to be interacted with the way the player wants to, in Fallout there's a constant dialog between the player and the game.

We could discuss about whether keyboard keyword dialog is a better interpretation than dialog choices of chatting with a GM as well but it's not the main thing I had in mind, the main thing is really about directly using skills.

Totally get where you're coming from. But to have it relate to "dialogue" only was not my intention. The reason for the mixup is that in a lot of the games I reference (AND in SKALD), a lot of the non-dialogue skill-use is presented via the dialogue system (or a very similar system). Think the gamebook segments in Pillars of Eternity.

V_K

Arcane
But to have it relate to "dialogue" only was not my intention. The reason for the mixup is that in a lot of the games I reference (AND in SKALD), a lot of the non-dialogue skill-use is presented via the dialogue system (or a very similar system).
Yes, but that's a distinction only in presentation - not in function. Directly prompting the player to check a skill denies him creative agency, the satisfaction of coming up with a solution on their own. Using skills in the environment, Wasteland- or Fallout-style adds a point-and-click puzzle-like quality to it, where you actually have to think what to do.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
But to have it relate to "dialogue" only was not my intention. The reason for the mixup is that in a lot of the games I reference (AND in SKALD), a lot of the non-dialogue skill-use is presented via the dialogue system (or a very similar system).
Yes, but that's a distinction only in presentation - not in function. Directly prompting the player to check a skill denies him creative agency, the satisfaction of coming up with a solution on their own. Using skills in the environment, Wasteland- or Fallout-style adds a point-and-click puzzle-like quality to it, where you actually have to think what to do.

Aha that made this a bit clearer to me! This is an approach I didn't account for in the article! I'm planning to do a follow up where I present some of the feedback and perspectives I got and I will add this in then :) Thanks!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, but that's a distinction only in presentation - not in function.
Mostly, yes, but all things considered I still think it's a bit of both, because it's also the traditional old games were all about combat then there were the savior dialog choices and Baldur's Gate and I disagree with this on two levels.

First, as you say, it's a statement which is disconnected from game mechanisms, the challenge in Baldur's Gate focuses on combat much more than Dungeon Master or Legend Of Faerghail or many other games.

However, secondly, and I understand it's complicated because the examples generally also include non-combat challenge, but ignoring mechanisms and talking about narrative, my experience with both CYOA books as well as dialogs with a GM are a lot about reacting to an obsctacle like "There's a chasm ahead, what do you do?" or "There's a watch dog sleeping what you do?" rather than exclusively, extensively chatting with tons of different persons in a town. I have got no problem with walls of text, I like stat checks but I also like adventuring, exploration, dungeons full of secrets, I think that's more interesting than chatting with NPCs in a town, and the supposedly exhaustive dichotomy between combat and dialogs ignores many of my favourite games (Realms Of Arkania games, to some extent Darklands ...).

V_K

Arcane

Aha that made this a bit clearer to me! This is an approach I didn't account for in the article! I'm planning to do a follow up where I present some of the feedback and perspectives I got and I will add this in then :) Thanks!
I'd then add another dimension to consider - resource management tied to checks. It's a sort of a third axis to the random-deterministic debate: checks where you can expend some resource to make up for not having a sufficient skill rank. In RPG/Adventure The Council, for example, you only need to have a given skill at all to pass the check. But the difficulty of the check determines how much effort you must spend in the process; if you don't have enough, you can't pass the check either. Getting higher skill ranks reduces the effort cost. The brilliant part (and what makes The Council a better example than a similar Tormen: Tides of Numenera) is that effort is very limited - you start with 7 points (by the end of the game you may have 10) while an average check has a difficulty of 3-5 points. Plus effort is not restored by resting - you regain 2 points on each level-up, and there's a consumable that also restores 2 points at a time (although unfortunately those are very plentiful). This makes for an interesting tactical consideration, where you have to chose whether pursuing a particular skill-gated option is worth the risk of not having enough effort for a later, possibly more important one (and the game does have "trap" checks - that don't give you anything useful and only waste your effort- aplenty).

A similar approach is lockpicking in Geneforge games - the lower your skill level, the more lockpicks you need to expend on a given lock:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/06/out-for-revenge-intrinsic-motivation-in-open-worlds/

Out for Revenge: Intrinsic Motivation in Open Worlds

The Last of Us Part 2 is out and it’s proving to be highly divisive. One of the main themes of the game is revenge and having seen the first 10 hours or so of the game I felt inspired to write an article exploring the issue of character vs player motivation in open world games.

This article is not a review of the The Last of Us Part 2 but it might contain SLIGHT SPOILERS.

the-last-of-us-2-wallpaper.jpg

I’ve been spending a lot of time recently working on narrative design for my own upcoming game: SKALD: Against the Black Priory. One of the questions I’ve been pondering is: How do you align the motivations of the player with the motivations of the player’s in-game character in open-world games?

Crt5.png

SKALD’S main quest kicks off with the player being sent to find a missing childhood friend.

Using revenge stories as an example: They are dramatic, visceral and cathartic and often highly appealing. Their use in games, however, comes with some challenges that might not be evident from their use in other media. While the main-character might be out for blood, the player would much rather collect junk.
Melodramatic Motivation
For many types of games (but certainly not all), it is expected that the game’s in-game main character (the avatar) comes with their own motivation. For the narrative experience to be appealing, the player should:
  1. Understand the character’s motivation and goals
  2. Empathize with the character’s motivation and goals
  3. Actively share the character’s motivation and goals
Additionally, the player’s motivation should also not conflict with the
character’s motivation and goals.

From the list above you can see that the points are in increasing order of importance: It’s probably better if we could make a game where the player not only understands and empathizes with character’s motivation, but also feels like their own motivation overlaps with the character’s.

A revenge quest (or revenge story) is a common trope in fiction. From the Iliad to Kill Bill, these stories feature protagonists who are driven by an urge to get revenge (often violently) against the antagonist for some trauma that has been inflicted upon them.

kill_bill.jpg

Kill Bill

For these stories to be effective, the triggering (traumatic) event often comes with enough of an emotional impact that the player/viewer/reader shares in the protagonist’s desire for cathartic revenge.

Looking at our three points from above, it’s not difficult to see why it’s so popular to have characters with motivation born out of some trauma: It is highly universal and offers us (melo-) dramatic narratives where we understand, empathize with and share the motivation and goals of the protagonist.

Does this mean that revenge-quests and similar stories are ideal for games? As always the answers is not yes or no, but rather it comes down to understanding the consequences of our design choices.

A Simple Model of Motivation
A common and simple psychological model for describing motivation it that of intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation. It is commonly used in fields such as management, education and sports and, though it might seem a bit simplistic, it readily provides some interesting insights.

451ac1cb78731033019e2078fba6454c.jpg

EXTRISINC MOTIVATION
Simply put, when we perform tasks and actions to gain some external reward or avoid punishment we experience external motivation.

Going to work because you want to get payed is a classical example of this.

INTRINSIC MOTIVATION
Intrinsic motivation on the other hand is what we experience when we perform a task because we find it personally rewarding. In other words: performing an activity for its own sake rather than the desire for some external reward.

Doing your job because you enjoy the work itself (as opposed to doing it just to get payed) is a typical example of intrinsic motivation.

THE IN-GAME CONTEXT
Motivation is complex (as is all human behavior) and it’s not really possible to describe it in terms of absolutes. Within the framework of extrinsic vs intrinsic motivation it is rare that we are 100% on one end or another of the scale. For example, when we say that we are extrinsically motivated, what we really mean is probably that we are mostly extrinsically motivated.

Tasks such as playing games can be highly complex since they often consist of so many sub-tasks. This means that our motivation for each of those tasks may vary greatly; I’m intrinsically motivated to play most games since I enjoy the act of gaming for its own sake. However, within that context, I would say my motivation to collect 10 wolf-pelts is mostly extrinsic as this will get me rewards (gold and XP).

fetch-quest-meme-rpg-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-6116445440

The wolf-pelt example is not random: It’s safe to say that games with open worlds (such as roleplaying games and open-world shooters) often contain tasks where we might feel primarily extrinsically motivated. We might do “chores” because they rewards us in the long run. Compare this to a racing game where the reward loop is so compressed that we feel instant gratification throughout the entire play experience.

In occupational psychology, intrinsic motivation is often held up as being preferable. This comes from research that shows that individuals with a high degree of intrinsic motivation perform better than those with a high degree of extrinsic motivation.

For this discussion however, I think we should be careful to automatically place intrinsic motivation above extrinsic motivation. This is especially true for roleplaying- or open-world games where the reward-loops are wide enough that they contain tasks that might feel like chores but where the sum of the experience nonetheless is a fun play-experience.

To put it in another way: It’s certainly not a failure of design if your game contains sub-tasks that causes the player to experience both kinds of motivation within the context of the game. If that makes for a good game, players will feel intrinsically motivated to interact with it.

Player vs Character Motivation

Lets try to apply some of the theory we’ve discussed so far.

CHARACTER MOTIVATION
In the kinds of games we are discussing today players are typically either:

a) provided with an establish character (Ellie, Geralt of Rivia, Super Mario etc) that comes fleshed out both in terms of appearance, personality and backstory.

or…

b) provided a blank character that has some backstory attached to it (such as in certain RPGs where we get to create fresh characters but with the baggage of being “the dragon born” or something in that vein).

In both cases, the game almost always provides a motivation for the character: a raison d’etre for the character’s adventuring career. In the kinds of narratives we are interested in today, this motivation is often highly intrinsic and triggered by some dramatic event.

Importantly: The more dramatic the triggering event – the more highly motivated it is implied that the game’s character will be.

PLAYER MOTIVATION
Consider the Last of Us Part 2. We play most of the game as Ellie. Motivated by a burning desire for revenge, she sets out on an epic quest across the gorgeous ruined landscapes of post-apocalyptic Seattle.

It is pretty clear that the character of Ellie is written to be heavily internally motivated. She is not interested in gold or getting new loot; she just has a burning desire for revenge.

And for anyone who plays the game, her motivation and goal easily checks all of our three boxes:
  1. We understand her motivation and goals
  2. We empathize with her motivation and goals
  3. We actively share her motivation and goals – we ALSO want the catharsis of revenge.
the-last-of-us-part-2-what-we-think-after-2-hours-of-play_vm4w.h720.jpg

As the game moves past it’s intro, it’s hard not to partake in Ellie’s thirst for blood. The character’s motivation and the player’s motivation is alligned!

However, something happens a few hours into the game: The game world opens up. It turns out exploring the post-apocalypse is both fun and interesting. Roaming around whilst listening to the small-talk between Ellie and her travelling companion interspersed by bursts of intense action is fun. So fun in fact that it’s easy to forget why you are out there in the first place.

Let’s look at a classic RPG that I always found had a similar issue: Baldur’s Gate 2.

rlwbanky6clryyoghw2p_390x400_1x-0.jpg

The first part of the game has the following quest: Imoen, a recurring character from the first game and your step sister, is kidnapped and a large part of the first game is dedicated to you gathering enough gold to rescue her.

At face value, the trope of having to rescue a loved-one in danger is certainly dramatic and universal enough that we should ideally have no problem in sharing the character’s intrinsic motivation.

k773699jz2931.png

I didn’t make this so the typo isn’t mine!

Baldur’s Gate 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made. However, the first part of the game is often consider the best part of the game; with a huge and interesting game world full of cool quests and awesome characters. Many players will forget Imoen by the time they leave the city gates and they’ll put off rescuing her for as long as they can.

The Point
Using melodramatic core narratives might imbue the character with a lot of strong intrinsic motivation and the player should ideally have no problem sharing that motivation. However, the disconnect occurs once we supply the player with a game-world which is so large and appealing that the player will feel much more motivated to explore it rather resolve the games core conflict. In other words, on one hand the game is telling you to care about Ellie getting revenge (or rescuing Imoen or killing Alduin or finding a new waterchip). On the other hand it’s giving the player a world full of distractions.

To put it in another way: The game design is causing our motivation for the trivial tasks of exploration to eclipse our motivation for resolving the main-character’s grand conflict.

This is an example of a disconnect between the game’s narrative and mechanics. In other words, what we call ludonarrative dissonance.

Potential Solutions
First of all, I’m not saying you should not use highly intrinsically motivated characters as avatars in open-world games. As I said in the beginning, I’m only trying to outline some potential challenges and solutions.

I’m certainly not claiming I cracked this nut with SKALD as the game is still in development. However, I have thought about it a lot, and I’ve chose to adopt a fairly defensive posture to the problem. Here are seven of the main takeaways that I’m currently using to inform SKALD’s narrative design:

1) GOOD NARRATIVE DESIGN IS IMPORTANT
This is a no-brainer and I’m not going to belabor it beyond saying: If you’re making a narrative-heavy game of any sort you need to respect the amount of work that goes into narrative design. Don’t let the narrative take a back-seat to mechanics. Ideally: Get a narrative designer!

2) DON’T FIGHT HUMAN NATURE
I’ll repeat what I said in my last article on testing in RPGs: Don’t fight human nature. If you find yourself frustrated that people are playing your game “wrong”, you’ve probably designed your game wrong.

Don’t fall into the pit-trap of trying to sanction or punish unwanted behavior. Instead try figure out why players act the way they do. Players aren’t failing to connect with your narrative because they are simpletons!

3) BE CAREFUL WITH DIALING UP THE DRAMA
At first glance, one way of dealing with a miss-match between player and character motivations could be to turn up the level of drama and increase the stakes. Surely that will make the player care?

The pit-fall here is that in open-world games there should be room for the player to keep ignoring the core conflict. No matter how high we make the stakes for the character, if we’re not willing to punish the player for ignoring the core conflict (and I don’t think you should), we risk a greater feeling of dissonance as we try to force the player to share the characters intrinsic motivation.

If we ARE willing to railroad the player we aren’t really making an open world anymore (and that might be fine?).

Increasing intrinsic motivation is not a question of telling someone to be more motivated. This is however an article in itself so I recommend you look elsewhere for more literature on this.

4) DON’T PRESUME INTEREST
Personally, this is the point that set me free: Accept that the player’s motivation might not equal the characters motivation.

That is to say: You should design your game and narrative towards this goal but it is dangerous to count on it.

You may very well try to communicate that the game really wants you to care about the character’s core conflict but what if the player simply chooses not to engage? Are they playing the game wrong?

Whenever I write out story-beats in my game I always ask myself “how can we advance the narrative at this point without breaking immersion if the character does not engage ?”

5) TRY TO IDENTIFY WHAT IS MOTIVATING THE PLAYER AT EACH POINT IN THE GAME
A good way of looping the player in at each point in the game is to ask yourself (through analysis, experience and testing) what’s motivating the player at each point in the game? Is it collecting loot? Resolving sub-quests? Seeing if you can kill all NPCs in the game? Then, ask yourself what should ideally be motivating the character at that point?

You may find ways of aligning those motivations. Is you game-design causing players to become very interested in loot? Place some cool items along your main plot-line and overtly allow the player to express that they’re “in it for the money”.

But be careful: This might not work if your core premise is that the character is out for revenge against the dragon who ate their grandmother! How do you rationalize the player spending hours looting village homes instead of seeking revenge?

6) DON’T HAVE THE CHARACTERS MOTIVATION COMPETE WITH THE PLAYERS MOTIVATION
I try to make sure that the player does not need to choose between exploring the world and furthering the plot. Players are often very willing to suspend their disbelief and act “out of character” and then return to acting in-character. The problem arises if the game keeps reminding them that they are acting out of character.

This means that the core narrative should wait for the player and do so gracefully!

A typical failure to do this is when a game presents an urgent crisis and then asks the player to drop whatever they are doing and run off to resolve it. Comically the game will then wait indefinitely for the player who is free to ignore the whole deal.

popeye_wrecks_train_by_svettzwo_dbgwqmb-fullview.jpg

7) “OPT-IN” MOTIVATION
As I’ve said, you shouldn’t take your player’s interest in the main character’s core conflict for granted. However what you might find, is that as the game progresses and the players get to stretch their legs, the player and character motivation may begin to converge. Plan for this and try to make it as seamless as possible.

I honestly think Skyrim does a pretty good job of this – especially in the early part of the game. The game does not assume the player will be interested in the main quest-line. It feels just as natural to just wander of for hours to explore. But more importantly: Once you do choose to engage, it doesn’t really feel immersion-breaking that you “opted” back in.

skyrim-5817bb325f9b581c0bb8d64f-cfc4775e8cf24e219481a9c23aea98d3.jpg

In Closing
This post became a bit longer than I planned. I hope it still makes sense at this point.

As a solo game-developer, it helps me a lot to write stuff like this out and have you guys give feedback. So if you have comments, ideas or differing perspectives I would love to hear them!

Feel free to look me up on Twitter or join the SKALD Discord “game development” sub-channel to discuss the subject in more depth!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Early Access instead of full release: https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/07/project-update-early-access/

Project Update: Early Access

Hello there SKALD fans and friends!

After careful consideration, I’ve made the decision to pivot from a September full launch to an “Early Access” launch late fall of 2020.

What does that mean?
“Early Access” (EA) is a type of distribution where customers buy access to a pre-release version of a game. For SKALD, this means that Steam-users (for starters) will be able to buy access to the SKALD Beta sometime in the fall of 2020.

RefugeeCamp.gif

The plan is to finish the game’s narrative critical path before the EA release. This means that the game should be about 75% content complete in terms of content but still quite rough around the edges.

The plan is for the complete game to launch fully in the first half of 2021.

For those of you who backed the game on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, this means that reward fulfillment will be postponed until we get closer to the full release.

But why?
The plan initially was to accept a product that was a little rough around the edges upon release and then do post-release patches and content additions.

Maija.png

After talking to marketing-professionals and fellow game-designers I’ve realized that it is much healthier for the project to instead brand the “release” as Early Access. This clearly communicates my intentions and the state of the project.

The decision has also been expedited by the fact that the project is behind the initial schedule in terms of play-testing. The delay is partially due to current world events (enough said), partially because the demo->feedback->update cycle has been slower than expected and partially because an influx of money has allowed us to aim for a higher narrative ambition and great writing takes time.
No cause for alarm
Though the schedule now looks slightly different, the project is very healthy:
  • It is very well funded and I don’t have any reason to rush a launch for financial gain
  • Early Access will bring more play-testers which, in turn, will lead to a much more polished end-product
  • A less rushed launch will give us more time to create side-content and result in more fleshed-out world
All in all, this is the best for the project and I’m counting on the continued support and understanding of the community to help make SKALD an AWESOME game.

Believe me: Development is proceeding as fast as it is humanly possible and I’m super excited for the finished product!

Next Steps
I’m releasing an updated Beta-demo for backers in the next month or so. The demo is a bit delayed, but there is a good reason for this: Each Beta-demo at this stage will potentially corrupt save data. This means that currently, each demo-launch may force a restart and this will cause tester fatigue pretty fast. Since I rely on your feedback, I’d rather you have a bit more content to explore once you sit down with the demo.

Speaking of demo, I’ve made a pretty big change to the basic design of the game:

GridCombat.gif

Combat is now grid-based.

AutoResolve.gif

Combat is as snappy as ever and even auto-resolves works great!

I’ve been going back and forth on this for a long time now and I don’t make changes like this lightly. However, the old system lacked a bit of the expressiveness and transparency I wanted for SKALD and working with it was too limiting. Being someone who plays the game EVERY day I can say the new combat system is a lot of fun. I can’t wait to really start fleshing out more feats and spells that interact with the physicality of the battlefield.

In Closing…
It’s back to work for me! I really hope you’ll stay pumped for SKALD and I can’t wait to bring you more sweet content throughout the summer and fall.

If you haven’t already, I wrote two game-design articles a while back and you might want to check them out if you’re interested in the subject:
Beyond that I’d like to wish you all a great summer! As always, feel free to follow me on Twitter or join the SKALD Discord “game development” sub-channel !

Cheers,

AL

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Love the changes, the interface looks a lot nicer now. Shame about EA, but what can you do. If it's not ready it's not ready.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/07/project-update-beta-1-1-0/

Project Update: Beta 1.1.0

Hello everyone! Hope you all are enjoying your summer. July has been pretty sweet up here in Northern Norway for once, making it the perfect “stay at home” summer. But fear not: I’ve still gotten a ton done with SKALD, and it’s now time for a new (minor) demo update!

Beta 1.1.0 is up for Backers!
The demo is still pretty short and adds about 20 minutes of game-play to the first iteration. It’s still an important demo for me, since I’ve done a lot of work under the hood (as always) and now those features need play-testing.

MouseCombat1.gif

I’ve also added some in-game features: Most notable is grid-based combat. That system is still pretty bare bones as I’m yet to add enemies, feats and spells that really take advantage of it, but you should non the less be able to get an idea and provide some feedback.

What do I need from play-testers?
Bugs first and foremost. This is by far the most important feedback you can provide for me at this point!

Typos are always welcome too. As are logical inconsistencies in dialogue and scene flows.

I also want to hear about game-play feature requests or feedback on existing features.

I’m not really super interested in stuff like “this was too easy” or “There needs to be more loot in the second area”. It goes without saying that a lot of this is unpolished at the time and pacing etc will get a second pass as the whole first chapter begins to come together

As always, my preferred way of receiving feedback is via the SKALD Discord chat. Once there, look for the feedback sub-channels.
A Word of Caution
The demos, at this point, will usually break saves and force a restart with each demo iteration. This might seem like a chore BUT for play-testing this is essential. The scripting of the game can only be truly tested if the game is played from the start each time and this is super important to the final quality of the game.

EvilMercsMist-1.png

So please be patient with me (I know you will)! Also, is play-testing feels like a hassle, it’s 100% fine for you to just hang back and wait for the finished product!

What Else is Going on?
Currently we (me and the writers) are doing a lot of work writing and implementing narrative content. This is the main priority besides polishing the engine at the moment. As we finish writing for chapter 1, the artists will then get to illustrate the content and we’ll start work on chapter 2.

Fog5.gif

I’ve been working on fog-effects a bit. They are great for setting a somber tone and I can’t wait to use them. They were however not ready at the time of 1.1.0 so they’ll hopefully feature in the next update.
At some point in the near future I’ll probably start working of feats and spells as well so stay tuned for that.

Have a great Summer!
That’s it for now! Have a great weekend and keep enjoying the summer (try to get out in sun a bit)!

As always, feel free to follow me on Twitter or join the SKALD discord!

Cheers,

AL

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
The demo is excellent. The changes to combat are good, and it's a game in which tests and interactions play key roles. I'm reminded of some of the features of PoR that disappeared from the later gold box games. I'm glad the guy has said (I think during a Matt chat?) that he intends on making further games in the same engine.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
The demo is excellent. The changes to combat are good, and it's a game in which tests and interactions play key roles. I'm reminded of some of the features of PoR that disappeared from the later gold box games. I'm glad the guy has said (I think during a Matt chat?) that he intends on making further games in the same engine.
Hey man and thanks for the kind words! Glad you like the updated demo - there is MUCH more on the way!

Yeah SKALD is made in an engine that has "reuse" as one of it's pillars. So as long as I'm still having fun after SKALD: AtBP is out, I'd love to dig in on a sequel or new a concept in the same engine (such as a sci-fi title) :)

Last edited:

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
"...they were the first to come through and when we saw the perfection of their form... we rejoiced! For we knew that man-kind was saved!" - Black Priory acolyte, interrogated post-action by Task-Mage Brand.

Multi-tile mobs confirmed :-D

BigModel.gif

Cheers!

AL

dehimos

Augur
I haven't played Ultima or Gold Box, but I really like the visual style of the game. Also the combat system seems much more fun than the classic system.

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
I haven't played Ultima or Gold Box, but I really like the visual style of the game. Also the combat system seems much more fun than the classic system.
Glad to hear! Yeah combat is starting to feel pretty snappy and interesting with the last iterations :)

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Very nice! I didn't know about this game. I like the pixel art and the Gold Box feeling. Are you solo on it or you have a dedicated pixel artist?

SkaldRPG

High North Studios
Developer
Very nice! I didn't know about this game. I like the pixel art and the Gold Box feeling. Are you solo on it or you have a dedicated pixel artist?
I'm solo but it's crowdfunded so I have money for pixelart. I do tiles and creatures etc myself and then I commission things like portraits :)

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I'm solo but it's crowdfunded so I have money for pixelart. I do tiles and creatures etc myself and then I commission things like portraits :)
The game looks nice. I hope everything goes fine for you! I'd play that.

I played Goldbox on my 486 waaay back. My dad let me fix it up, rather than throw it out. While I liked them at the time, I can't say I ever felt the need to go back. This game looks really cool though. I think I might want to play it despite the anachronisms, rather than because of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom