Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Heavy Weapons Dude is a good, well balanced enemy that perfectly fulfills what a strong hitscan opponent should be. Deadly, but very low HP, large target, inaccurate, any hit will stunlock him, causes massive collateral damage and infighting with his own side. Best of all he's fun to kill. Basically every other game ruins this by making enemies with much more HP and no stunlock ability that gun you down instantly. The worst you can say about him is that he's kind of broken OP in Fast Monsters/Nightmare, but the same goes for several other enemies like Cacodemons and Pinkies.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I played through Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice in one sitting yesterday.

I really enjoyed it, especially the mental illness and slight horror aspects. The combat was decent -- mostly hack and slash -- but the same can't be said about the enemies: the same five to six dudes throughout the entire game, all of whom scale up in difficulty as the game progressed. The story also taught me a lot about Norse mythology that I didn't know before.

I learned there's an upcoming sequel, and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Oh well, back to the Bioshock 2 DLC.
Try Infinite DLC, Burial at Sea part 2 is good. The story is still retarded, but the gameplay was made closer to Dishonored/Thief games (main character is very fragile so you must use stealth and decoys, there is a non-linear hub map instead of multiple linear levels, you can carry all of available guns at the same time and one of those guns is a crossbow with three types of bolts, etc).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My G2 run got cut short. I was able to play the game yesterday (albeit with some crashing and lots of glitching with the graphics, never had this happen before) and today it won't run at all. Tried tinkering with fixes the entire morning and installing all kinds of community packs and patches. Nothing wants to work. Guess I'm stuck waiting for a magical fix in an undefined future with this one. And now I'm curious why it worked yesterday. Was it the ELEX? Suppose I need to think up a new game to play now.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How does it not run? Does it only show the small Night of the Raven window when you try to launch, and then nothing happens?

If so, it's a super weird bug. It triggers if you install or uninstall anything on your PC, and the game won't start again unless reinstalled. I had it in my ancient legit copy of NOTR, but the GOG version worked fine.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How does it not run? Does it only show the small Night of the Raven window when you try to launch, and then nothing happens?

If so, it's a super weird bug. It triggers if you install or uninstall anything on your PC, and the game won't start again unless reinstalled. I had it in my ancient legit copy of NOTR, but the GOG version worked fine.

That's what usually happens. Sometimes it'll proceed to a black screen, once I could hear the game audio play in the background but it was still a black screen. Mostly it just gets stuck on the NotR launcher, tries to run a self-diagnostic and then goes poof. I've tried reinstalling the game a few times, like after I installed the community fixes and they didn't work. I'm trying to play the GOG version.

Maxie

With Gothics a common lifehack is to start the program the second time and to consequently kill one of the processes in the task manager

Krivol

Magister
CK II - I bought plenty of DLCs, so I'm quite sure they will all be free 2 days after CK III release...
Brutal Doom - actually it's much more intense than D2016 (never played the newest one)
Darkest Dungeon - quite a nice game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's something different then. For me it would never budge past the launcher in any way.
With Gothics a common lifehack is to start the program the second time and to consequently kill one of the processes in the task manager
Unfortunately I can't figure it out and the double executable doesn't work either. Now I can get Gothic 2 to run, but it has an irritating white border similar to playing it windowed on the left side of the screen, and it also hides the enemy HP bar. There's a fullscreen fix for this issue, but it doesn't work for me, just makes the game stop working and then I have to reinstall it again. At least Gothic 1 still works just fine out of the box, if I'll want to replay that one day.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I finished Assassin's Creed Origins. The story really turns into super shit by the end. Random shit just kind of happens without explanation, the main character's motivations are never clear or make any sense and worst of all the climax makes your main character a side note as he's barely even involved. If you wanted to make a game about X person, make that game FFS. Don't sideline your actual main character. Games always trying to be movies and yet fail at very simple movie aspects like pacing, climaxes and character motivations. I'm sitting here trying to think of an Ubisoft game that had a good story and coming up blank, honestly. I love the Splinter Cell games but their stories are basic "terrorist's bad, kill them" things. ANYWAY... the game looks nice and is fun to explore for a while until everything quickly starts looking the same. The stealth base invasion stuff from Far Cry works well with arrows and daggers, but gets repetitive. Everything gets repetitive way before the end, god knows how people 100% these things or play the DLC. Just zoning out on the couch I guess. I had fun with it for a bit but... meh. Doubt I play Odyssey ANY time soon.

Also finished Halo 2 Remastered. Another game where the story tries to be an epic film but doesn't have the structure or writing for it at all. Level design is notably worse than the original, but combat is still okay until the flood levels. Those levels were bad in the original and they're even worse here because of them being bullet-sponges. I'm a sci-fi and FPS addict so I still got through it but oof, big step down from the original. Looks pretty now though, switching to the original graphics really makes you say "holy shit that's ugly."

Not sure what to play now... started Halo 3 but I'll play it here and there over time. I guess I could go back to Divinity OS which I stopped 2/3rds through, but not really feeling it. Maybe time to pull a random RPG out of the backlog hat.

overly excitable young man

Tried Surge 1 and 2 because i found Lords of the Fallen solid. But they're horrible. Slow clunky combat and the cutting limbs system is stupid.
You basically play till a new tier of armor appears and then you have to grind the same body part to be able to upgrade it.
Because of this stupid system 90% of enemies are just humans which makes the games extremely boring.

Also Surge 2 is horribly optimized and has fps drops all the time.
All in all they just feel like playing much worse Dark Souls in a different setting. I mean i hate DS2 and even it is much better than Surge games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Keeping up the Doom-lite theme.... one of those random Youtube recommendations threw to me this pseudo-retro thing, and see it has a demo. Worth a try, I guess.

The Citadel (2020) in a world where Doom and Duke modding has done so much, retro shooters have to fight tooth and nail to get a spot in the sun. Hell, even massive projects like Ion Maiden floundered because they have typical "modding problems"(mediocre level design) how the fuck does The Citadel fare?

Sure, use Unreal Engine 4 for maximum clunkiness and shit performance (was using goddamn Unity or a DOOM PORT THAT DIFFICULT?). Throw out level designs that are literally corridors with enemies and poorly-defined items thrown around at random, doors that are difficult to identify as doors and switches that are difficult to identify as switches. The enemy designs are frankly puzzling at best and unnerving at worst (and I don't mean unnerving in "System Shock 2 Hybrid" unnerving, I mean "anime girl that you lovingly eviscerate and see her screaming and her viscera flying around", author I understand you are good at drawing sprites but seriously), can't miss shooting enemies in burkas that blow up or if you headshot them stay around showing a lovingly drawn décolleté.

Weapons are an offense upon God (who the fuck makes you reload your starting pistol a single round at a time what the fuck am I playing Hideous Destructor) a fuckhuge axe that completely lacks weight and an autogun that .... enough.

I dimly remember shit talking Project Warlock and Iron Maiden, and let's be honest the retroFPS wave is a blight on the genre, but this is the worst I've ever played. Even Doom weeb mods like Demonsteele at least are fun to play.

ss_bd3565eae7e495e5b24c7e477c97fd40ab175de7.600x338.jpg

And they told me Daikatana was too green

What the fuck. 90% positive reviews on Steam. Fuck.

HansDampf

Arcane
A Hat in Time. I want to like this because it looks like a cute Mario Sunshine/Galaxy clone. But it's been mostly meh, so far. Limited moveset. Floaty controls. Mediocre level design. No challenge. Too much talking.
Please fire Mustache Girl's voice actress.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Finished DUSK, the only level that gave me some real difficulty is the penultimate one where you fight big waves of all the game enemies. Took a few tries until i finally learned how to properly run circles around them, felt worthy after finally completing all the waves without sustaining too much damage.
Ciero Miedo felt like a fair difficulty level to me.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Blasted my way through Xenonauts. Not bad overall, but the chances to hit in combat stay too low throughout the game. There's barely a feeling of progression in that department, while everything else does improve in small increments.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not bad overall, but the chances to hit in combat stay too low throughout the game. There's barely a feeling of progression in that department, while everything else does improve in small increments.
Have you considered More Dakka, my good man?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Not bad overall, but the chances to hit in combat stay too low throughout the game. There's barely a feeling of progression in that department, while everything else does improve in small increments.
Have you considered More Dakka, my good man?

I had a full squad in Predator armor with plasma casters plus a tank. Doesn't get more Dakka by Xenonauts standards.

laclongquan

Arcane
Just complete Fallout 2 runs for the year. Fallout ET TU, then Restoration Project, then RPU. Several runs with strange build like Luck2 Unarmed Jinxed. Even though I am not entirely satiated, I have to give up now because I play F2 too much recently.

Might want to turn into UFO Aftershock. It's been some years..

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Actually managed to get Gothic 2 running eventually. There was a new version of the community patch somewhere that made it work, but most of the links offered were of an older version that I tried that didn't work. Lucky that I found it. Finished my Fire Mage run yesterday and moved on to Gothic 1. Had a few technical hiccups with that game as well, but nothing totally unmanageable. Joined the Old Camp, got Y'Berion his focus and made my way to the Old Mine to whip some Minecrawlers only to realize.. that they hadn't spawned. There was no gear wheel for the masher either to give to Ian, and the gate that leads to the nest is open and if you run through there are no 'crawlers. I've got all the appropriate quests but none of the essential actors or items have been spawned within the Mine. Pretty stumped about this and I'm not entirely sure what I can do to progress, if anything. I'd be curious to know if anyone has had this problem and how they solved it, if they did.

Anyway, since I'm a glutton for punishment and shoddy software, I've decided to move on from that for now to Arx Fatalis. Was well prepared to get shot down immediately with that one, however, Arkane had actually patched the game this May.

• Updated to run on Windows 10
  • Stability improvements
  • Various bug fixes

Pretty nice! Let's see how it works without the community patch.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Playing the Homeworld Remaster. Seems like they've done a good job, I can't find any faults with it (so far).

Wunderbar

Arcane
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time.

Just finished the notorious Water temple. Equipping/unequipping boots aside, I thought it was pretty good. Except for this room.

FQou3F8.png

This room is literally Hitler.

Riskbreaker

Amnesia: Eldritch Cove, a fine SH-inspired TC. More than inspired, it actually borrows buncha resources from the PS2 SHs as well as audio from PT. Haven't played anything Amnesia in years, but I don't recall any other mod that did exterior areas this well. Plus it emulates that SH-ish quasi open-world design, plus the town becomes increasingly more... prosperous as your mental state deteriorates. And it isn't merely cosmetic either. For example these ugly membranous structures will appear all throughout the town which you can then use to reach various hitherto inaccessible areas. Writing is more of this run of the mill Lovecraftian fare than it is SH-like, and some of the voice acting is, well, very mod-ish (he even used the synthetic TTS voices for some of it) but otherwise it's damn fine.

I'm also starting with Dishono(u)red: Death of the Outsider, will see how that goes.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Eye of the Beholder. Took me around 9 hours. I didn't use any mapping tools. I'd just drop food rations here and there, to mark that I have already visited a certain area of a dungeon. It's a decent game, but nothing special, to be honest. I went with a fighter, paladin, mage and cleric. But to be honest, I almost exclusivity attacked with the two guys in the front row. I used a few wands and some bow attacks. A few offensive spells on very few occasions, and haste was cast quite a few times. When I found bones, I resurrected two people, a dwarf and a cleric. I let them hang around as pack mules. The game had a nice atmosphere and cool graphics. The second game is next. I imported my party, but haven't really done much else.

Geneforge 3 is decent, but I feel like it is a step down from the first two. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded after having played three games in the series, in the past 8 months. On the plus side, there are new sounds in settlements.

On PS3, I am playing Yakuza 5. Bought this on release, getting to it now. This is the story of my life, it seems. I need to buy less games. In general, I am enjoying this game very much. My biggest beef are the taxi missions and the amount of random fights I seem to get in. The second part, I have rectified by obtaining some Beads of Good Fortune. The first part, there is nothing to do about. I'm mostly doing side stuff, for now. 10/18 sub stories are done, and I am working on the other taxi stuff, like racing and working missions. I showed Tatsuya all the food places, and I took all the photos for the tourist spot guy. I fear that I will spend 100 hours or more with this game. It's not that it will actually take that much time to do everything, but I know that I will be playing mini games for a long time. Enough writing about the game, and time for more scraping smug bastards' faces against some concrete.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
1. Hexen: Beyond the Heretic. Played couple of levels as mage. I like the art and level design, but general gunplay is mediocre at best. After Quake it feels really outdated.

2. Sable's Grimoire. Dating VN. Not bad, but gets too melodramatic. Also, I though it would be more erotic. :oops:

3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. At last I got into it. I'm still in Prague, so Act 1, or whatever.
Going through the city, hacking and sneaking into apartments. I know it's gameplay, but I wish ventilation shafts were a bit more subtle. Maybe they could have been in some industrial areas, but not an easy way into actual apartments. Some shafts even have security cameras/detectors. So the gameworld acknowledges security implications. Especially when they're big enough for a grown man to crawl!

4. Dirt: Rally. Pretty shitty in it. The game probably helps me to be in the middle, but I suck non the less. Still fun, though.

Also, I almost forgot.

Replayed Frog Fractions and started Glittermitten Grove. It's way larger. I played for couple of hours before getting to another stage. Not a fan of no autosaving between stages since I need to go from the 2nd stage again. It's not long, though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom