Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's plenty of valid criticism against Kingmaker. Kingdom management, trash mobs sure, encounter and dungeon design could have been better, no doubt about it.
But overall as a package, it's fucking incredible and it vastly outshines its rough edges. Pure combatfag heaven.
So I always just assume people who don't like it are either storyfags or they got filtered by the difficulty.
Cause whatever complaints you do have, I don't think it trumps the character building, combat and the fact that it doesn't give a single fuck to hold your hand in any way.

It's not really being a storyfag IMO, it's wanting a balance. Kingmaker is amazing for combatfags and people who obsess over mechanics, as you say. However if you want a balance of that along with story, exploration, freedom, etc. then it starts going down your top RPG list relatively quickly. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and finished it, and I wouldn't even say it was hard (on "challenging") until the very end. However I wouldn't put it in my top 20 or anything because it was all combatfag, with zero polyamory.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Ninagauth's Shadowflame spell is something else. Fun for the first few casts, then you realize it's so ridiculously OP that it sucks the fun out of the game. There's no reason to use any other spells.

Eh, sure it's nice. Even moreso if you're an Assassin multiclass and play Turn Based mode. And as a combat opener/alpha strike.
But in real-time it has a stupidly long cast time and its damage gets eventually overshadowed by actual high level spells. So... not really quite broken.

Erikkolai

Learned
Must admit that I've abandoned my 2nd run (on Hard) for now.

Killed the Stag Lord and cleared up everything in chapter 1, except for the wererat cave and the boggard boss. But I'm just not motivated to continue.

Feels like I've got 2 options:
  • Respec my characters to go with retarded min-maxed powerbuilds (so that I can reliably hit things). But those kind of builds drains the fun out of the game IMHO (muh immersion... :cry:).
  • Savescum to the extreme in any tough encounter, in order to get those juicy 17+ rolls.
I'm thinking it was a mistake to try a 2nd playthrough back-to-back with my 1st one, makes me feel a bit burned out (played for 278 hours since the end of June). Taking a break to play something else.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
However if you want a balance of that along with story, exploration, freedom, etc.
I found Kingmaker's story perfectly serviceable, one of the better ones I've seen in an RPG, though definitely far from the best (That honour will always remain with PS:T). I am legitimately struggling to think more than a handful of comparable games with similar breadth of exploration. And I am pretty happy with the CnC in the game, which I suppose is what you mean by "freedom". I could understand if you said it's not the best in those categories, but to say it has no balance of them along with combat is absurd. I am very, very curious on which games you think did better in all categories.

with zero polyamory.
So you didn't have the tieflings in your party. A serious mistake, though I suppose you can be forgiven for not enjoying the game as much without them.

• Respec my characters to go with retarded min-maxed powerbuilds (so that I can reliably hit things). But those kind of builds drains the fun out of the game IMHO (muh immersion... :cry:).
  • Savescum to the extreme in any tough encounter, in order to get those juicy 17+ rolls.
You are doing something very, very wrong if you think you need "retarded min-maxed powerbuilds" or savescumming to get through encounters on hard. Unless you consider competently built single-class characters "retarded min-maxed powerbuilds", in which case the error is behind your eyes.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
However I wouldn't put it in my top 20 or anything because it was all combatfag, with zero polyamory.
One man's incline is another man's decline I suppose.
So 2 retards were arguing about which is better: Poncefinder: Cuckmaker OR Pooplar of Patternity 2: Assfire.

Meanwhile the wise man went to play Breath of the Wild.
Can we get a boring button?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Judging from the RT vs TB debate it looks like a shockingly high percentage of people don’t know how to play RTwP as designed (configuring autopause and/or the v button slow time advance). It’s supposed to be akin to TB with simultaneous turns to enhance realism but something gets lost in translation. Add to that the PnPers and MMO tank, spank, and healer tards getting rightfully pwned and it’s a wonder it’s as popular as it is.

But it is, and Wrath is looking spectacular.
My working theory is that a lot of them are autistic and get overwhelmed with visual information so they forget to pause.

Trashos

Arcane
I have written dozens of posts ITT analyzing Kingmaker's narrative. There is a lot of meat here, it is just mostly not in your face, so it is only there if you care to look. Which makes it doubly awesome, afaic.

So the storyfaggot in me has no right whatsoever to complain (on the contrary, I am almost in awe with what was done here), and the combatfaggot in me can go about his business without a care in the world, if he chooses so. Best of both worlds.

Delterius

Arcane
tbh just play chapter 1 and 2 on core rules and bump it up on chapter 3

pathfinder's ruleset rockets your power level on mid levels and thats when the balance issues come in

playing as a bunch of geriatric shitheads who don't have 30 strength like the average bandit isn't fun lolol

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I found Kingmaker's story perfectly serviceable, one of the better ones I've seen in an RPG, though definitely far from the best (That honour will always remain with PS:T). I am legitimately struggling to think more than a handful of comparable games with similar breadth of exploration. And I am pretty happy with the CnC in the game, which I suppose is what you mean by "freedom". I could understand if you said it's not the best in those categories, but to say it has no balance of them along with combat is absurd. I am very, very curious on which games you think did better in all categories.

We just disagree, I found the story and companions very boring and the pacing was godawful. By freedom I mean the enjoyment many get from fucking around and roaming the maps and such (explorefags), which the time limits and strict structures fuck with. Again I enjoyed the game, I'm not bashing it, but it is absolutely doing one thing extremely well and other things either okay or meh. Sweeper is right that's a combatfag paradise, or a character building showcase, but for people that want other things I don't think it's the pure incline for them that it is for him. Everyone's different, and there probably is no game that does "better in all categories." That's why people prefer this or that, it caters more to their priorities.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
So I had a huge brainfart and I forgot to talk to Jaethal after killing the kobold in sycamore caves.
Then I guess I had a couple of more brainfarts cause I hadn't realized she wasn't showing up in companion selection when you leave Oleg's.
Basically I'm retarded, but uh, can I recruit her now somehow or do I just not get to use her for the rest of the game?
In the prologue you get a choice of Valerie/Harrim (lawful/chaotic) and Linzi/Jaethal (good/evil) dependant on your alignment choices. You have a chance at the Ancient tomb to recruit one of the ones you didn't get via skill check(s). The ones you didn't get will be caged at sycamore, but will not be recruitable until the next chapter whereupon they are automatically recruited.
Nevermind.
Still retarded though. Thought she'd join up after you free her. Oh well, it's been awhile.
FUCK HARRIM

Erikkolai

Learned
What happens if you leave Linzi in the kobold cage? I assume she'll still find a way to infest your barony... does she just show up in chapter 2?

What happens if you leave Linzi in the kobold cage? I assume she'll still find a way to infest your barony... does she just show up in chapter 2?
She never ends up in the cage in the first place. Regardless of any choices you make in the prologue, Linzi and Amiri join you.

I'm not sure if that's correct. I got Harrim, Jaethal, and Amiri after the prologue. Linzi wound up in the Kobold cage on my playthrough. I don't recall how though.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I'm not sure if that's correct. I got Harrim, Jaethal, and Amiri after the prologue. Linzi wound up in the Kobold cage on my playthrough. I don't recall how though.
There's a speech check with the swordlord, if you chose the evil response when tartuccio spergs out over you saving or not saving the guards in the fire Jaethal joins you.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
She can leave you if you pick the evil dialogue options in the prologue. To make things worse, she doesn't admit this in her book, further proving that she's a narcissist.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
She can leave you if you pick the evil dialogue options in the prologue. To make things worse, she doesn't admit this in her book, further proving that she's a narcissist.
Yep. Amiri is the only one who always joins you in the prologue. Based on your dialogue responses to Jamandi, you get Valerie/Harrim or Linzi/Jaethal

Erikkolai

Learned
In my latest run I recruited Harrim & Jaethal first, then grabbed Linzi. Valerie was caged, and the kobold chief kept insulting her intelligence. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom