Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite Dangerous - Yay or Nay?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Little late with fixing it. But good that now people have to grind for their carrier. If you don't want to, don't.

People are such goddamn whining cunts, you could get into an Anaconda in a few hours of playing, which was fucking retarded.

Yea because apart from getting a different canopy bigger ship there's nothing to ED.

Well yeah, it's a walking simulator with spaceships and I am fine with that.

I don't the ships definitely feel different and are not just a different canopy.

yes, they fly different, they sound different, this is actually one of this game's biggest strenght

Retardo

Learned
Little late with fixing it. But good that now people have to grind for their carrier. If you don't want to, don't.

People are such goddamn whining cunts, you could get into an Anaconda in a few hours of playing, which was fucking retarded.
Honestly, the game's progress felt too tedious even with mining exploit. I mean, games are games. People play them for fun. What point is hiding all the presumably interesting stuff, like carriers, condas, engineering enhancements behind the grindwall? I've played like 70 or 80 hours and I feel this game would be actually better if it was invent-your-own-fun sandbox, like arma.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There's nothing interesting about engineering or an Anaconda. It's all just grind with no player agency for grinds sake and to stretch what little gameplay there is.

The thread about the mining nerf perfectly encapsulates the ED community. Even sensible arguments and criticism get drowned in a flood of blithe boomer shitposting.

I still maintain that the game was at its best, and its most fun, during the beta, that they should have stuck to smaller ships, and that they shouldn't have had that kind of "earn more to grind faster" / "better missions at higher levels" progression system.

Of course, that's the only progression the game had, but maybe if it didn't have that there'd have been some pressure to build more of an actual game. For example, orienting the game more towards faction conflict and PvP and making this take place via directly capturing stations, putting everyone in the same world instead of instancing, etc. But apparently that's too much like EVE, which is... somehow a bad thing? I don't understand boomers.

praetor

Arcane

Yea because apart from getting a different canopy bigger ship there's nothing to ED.

I don't the ships definitely feel different and are not just a different canopy.

yes, they fly different, they sound different, this is actually one of this game's biggest strenght

they don't fly actually different. that's the game's biggest failing. the major difference between the smallest and biggest ships is the classic, pedestrian "rate of turn, acceleration, hitpoints and firepower", meaning that the one and only difference between the cheapest and most expensive trader is the amount of goods it can haul, and that all firefights play exactly the same: dogfights, no matter if you're in a tiny agile fighter or a huge 200m corvette

as much as the great flight model (and sound) is the biggest draw for this game, it's also its biggest weakness because of the sameyness

and whoever things "space legs" will bring anything of value to the game is a delusional buffoon

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

they don't fly actually different. that's the game's biggest failing. the major difference between the smallest and biggest ships is the classic, pedestrian "rate of turn, acceleration, hitpoints and firepower", meaning that the one and only difference between the cheapest and most expensive trader is the amount of goods it can haul, and that all firefights play exactly the same: dogfights, no matter if you're in a tiny agile fighter or a huge 200m corvette

as much as the great flight model (and sound) is the biggest draw for this game, it's also its biggest weakness because of the sameyness

and whoever things "space legs" will bring anything of value to the game is a delusional buffoon

But what should the differences be in the different size ships then? And the bigger ship also feel a lot heavier and tend to drift. I don't get what you want to see different? They have thrusters all around, it's not like they would suddenly get a bigger turn radius like is the case with cars with longer wheelbases.

DDZ

Patron
One thing that would make it better if the canopies were sized differently, They are all so big, which diminishes the difference in feeling with different size ships. The Courier feels like it makes more sense than most of the other smaller ships.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I remember the Viper has a smaller canopy than most ships its size. I don't know if it makes it sturdier though. Another characteristic I remember is that it has better lateral thrusters than any other ship I tried, which saw me adapt and change the way I use it in dogfights (circle-strafing with lateral thrusters and yaw + flight-assist off). So, there is taht, in terms of flying differently.

Mortmal

Arcane
I tried that last "guardian" update. proceed to guardian system to find ruins, easy enough, they look pretty ffrom orbit for sure, but now the gameplay of that expansion is landing and picking six relics in your suv but you can only carry two at a time each combination of two (could be same artefact) allows you to fully scan one obelisk ,in an area not really suitable for the vehicle and then you do it 101 times to unlock every bit of lore. I am thinking to uninstall but never come back this time.

DDZ

Patron
I did the Guardian runes to get my FSD booster I think. I hated every minute of it. But in the end, it was worth it.

I am fucking hyped, Elite Feet can go suck a dick, I don't care about that lame shit. I just wanna fly my spaceships and see cool stuff. The new atmospheres look great.

Here is to hoping they don't fuck up the organic life, and they will not even try to generate landable earthlike worlds within the next 5 years, I don't believe anyone will be able to do it convincedly as of yet.

DDZ

Patron
It's the closest thing to what I want. And there is no alternative that even comes close. And I want it to be so much better, but it's just going in the wrong direction to me, especially when they start listening to majority of the vocal players.

And I don't have kids.

Razor

Arcane
I wonder if they will ever get around to making black ho's do what they do best. They promised it all the way back when neutron stars got a overhaul. Going into things like space engine and seeing the mind light fuckery they do when you fall into one is one hell of a sight. Downright disorientating if you would do it in things like VR.

Mortmal

Arcane
I did the Guardian runes to get my FSD booster I think. I hated every minute of it. But in the end, it was worth it.
It's 20h or so according guides to get them, why do you inflict such torture to yourself ?

DDZ

Patron
It's the closest thing to what I want. And there is no alternative that even comes close. And I want it to be so much better, but it's just going in the wrong direction to me, especially when they start listening to majority of the vocal players.

And I don't have kids.
Try the previous two.

I have played Frontier quite a bit, but it doesn't offer me the combination of my love for space and pretty visuals, and I can semi game while listening to a podcast or watch a bunch of youtube videos.

Mortmal

Arcane
Guardian puzzle is another example, maybe the worst, of the sadistic and unfun game design of frontier , scanning 101 obelisk isnt obviously enough . You have to unlock blue prints via a puzzle , means finding ruins, then navigate with the very painful to drive srv, sometimes with no light of course, and shooting 6 Pillars anywhere in the ruins to spawn a terminal to scan. But that's wasnt unfun enough, not only the pillar orbs are glitchy and hard to activate, had to try quiie a few time to lit them , but you have a 5 min timer to activate all that shit. Abominable , hellish gameplay.

DDZ

Patron
It's 20h or so according guides to get them, why do you inflict such torture to yourself ?

I think only the FSD booster only took me about 2 hours. Didn't bother with the rest.

For that purpose, he is playing the perfect Elite game.

I think so too. And I am afraid they will kill the game I am enjoying right now with banal shit like walking around your ship or whatever the playerbase is crying over today. Though I understand new stuff has to be added or the game will be dead, but I am not sure what. I would like the ability to discover more rare things, maybe some Raxxla.

Fishy

Savant
I am afraid they will kill the game I am enjoying right now with banal shit like walking around your ship or whatever the playerbase is crying over today

Ah don't worry, walking around your ship would be too alternative a thing. It's not part of Odyssey. Instead, you'll get to use your SRV feet on the surface to scan rng rocks rng plants with your SRV rock scanner hand-held plant scanner or shoot them with your SRV lasers hand-held rifle so that your mining rank biology rank progress bar increases.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I think so too. And I am afraid they will kill the game I am enjoying right now with banal shit like walking around your ship or whatever the playerbase is crying over today. Though I understand new stuff has to be added or the game will be dead, but I am not sure what. I would like the ability to discover more rare things, maybe some Raxxla.

Don't worry, these will be additions to the game. If you enjoy the pure spaceship exploration, you can do that.

Mortmal

Arcane

I think only the FSD booster only took me about 2 hours. Didn't bother with the rest.

I think i got everything needed for the FSD booster too now, using a guide, the sites they use are a lot easir to manage and navigate on. I suppose i should get some of the weapons too , although i never seen any thargoids around. The good thing with alien invasion is they are discreet , do not disrupt any trade routes nor any part of the economy. Most sociable invaders ever. That in frontier game...

Fishy

Savant
The good thing with alien invasion is they are discreet , do not disrupt any trade routes nor any part of the economy. Most sociable invaders ever. That in frontier game...

It's not just aliens, it's a pretty universal thing tbh. Haven't you noticed those convenient "Combat zone" PoI? How civilised of factions to meet and fight at some irrelevant coordinates rather than saturate stations security.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom