Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game

Reality

Learned
I feel like the "base points" of skill in small guns is supposed to encourage any charather type to do Vault 15 and the Raider base with small guns, even if it's intended to be a melee or energy weapons playthrough later and you never increase those skills.

Kind of feel the same way with Fallout 2's spear and places like Klamath

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
J0jZ82P.jpg

xzwtcgo.jpg

Fallout is back in the news due to controversy over its connection with notorious Chris Avellone.

Last edited:

Goromorg

Savant
Can we discuss invisible time limits, that komrade Lilura praises so much?
Example: Boneyard is getting razed by mutants in 90 days in the first release version.

All such time limits except for Necropolis and Vault 13 invasions were removed with patches.
I can understand the game design where not everything is under player's comtrol and all, but I don't think this is the correct way to do it.

Kainan

Learned
War. War never changes.

The Romans waged war to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic superpower...

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Example: Boneyard is getting razed by mutants in 90 days in the first release version.

All such time limits except for Necropolis and Vault 13 invasions were removed with patches.
I can understand the game design where not everything is under player's comtrol and all, but I don't think this is the correct way to do it.
I really like the idea of the world moving on whether the player is ready for it or not. The problem is that in a game as short as Fallout, they really didn't need to add ways for the player to miss out on content.

The Jester

Cipher
So what was your guys favorite quest? for me it's "Rescue Tandi from the Raiders"
Simply because you have so many different ways to do it:
1.You can go full Rambo and drown the khans in their own blood.
2.You can be a sneaky bastard and kill her cell guards and break her out.
3.You can play by their rule and fight like a man in ring against Garl the leader of the Khans
4.You can bluff your way out of situation and make Garl to release Tandi.
5.You can be a merchant and buy Tandi from Khans
6.With a leather jacket and 9 luck YOU CAN PRETEND THAT YOU ARE GARL'S DAD, THE PREVIOUS LEADER OF THE KHANS, WHO GARL KILLED TO TAKE HIS PLACE AND YOU TELL GUARDS TO FUCK OFF AND THEN GO STRAIGHT TO THE GARL AND SCARE THE SHIT OUT OF HIM.

Lurker47

Savant
Fallout is overrated on account of the fact that nobody has replicated the kind of tone it was going for.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Some Fallout 1 only facts that were retconned later:

- Vaults are just vaults. No experiments or such bullshit. If your Vault has malfunctioned, please send a complain to VaultTec.com
- Ghouls are exclusive to Necropolis. Harold is not a ghoul but a FEV mutant.
- FEV supermutants are exclusive to California.
- .223 pistol is a unique one.
- Deathclaws are rare and elusive beasts. People mostly don't even believe they exist.
- BoS is exclusive to California. No Washington units or other bullshit. BoS was formed by US army renegades from Mariposa Base.
- No tribals. People didn't degenerate so much.
- No real-life weapons.
- Iguana bits are actually made from human meat
- Caps as currency are set up by Hub merchants, so there's no logic in other states using caps too.
- PSI abilities do exist.
- There's no random legions of raiders that appeared out of nowhere: Khans, for example came out of Vault 15. Jackals came from Vault 15 too, but were cut from Fallout 1 - they appear in Van Buren, New Vegas ans Sonora. Vipers were cut and didn't appear anywhere else.
- GECK is mentioned only in manual and it's just an agricultural tool - no laser turrets included.

This is sort of why I like Fallout. Sort of. The Psi shit could be cut and I would be thankful. But the BoS being a Cali thing, no stupid Tribals, Vaults being Vaults...compared to 2, I finished 1 with gusto and joy. 2 was a slog by the end as it felt like a mishmash of cliches by San Fran (Yakuza bands just fucking around...right...).

I had no problems with the timelimits. The world does not and should not revolve around the player solely. The factions at war should, well, do shit without you. Plans and operations. Sure Fallout NV tries to handwave this by the Legion amassing forces for ever and never expanding their beachhead and the NCR is under 'wait and see' but thats a barely acceptable compromise. There's nothing wrong with time limits, cut-off paths, and some variability. Especially not in a multi-choice RPG allowing for replayability, though Fallout just had you either be a talker, a sneak, or a warrior, and I just mixed all three anyway to get into that cathedral.

Kainan

Learned
Since rpgs are meant to be played more times it makes sense you wouldnt see everything in one go. But the modern player must see and do all the content at once so the time limit had to go.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This is sort of why I like Fallout. Sort of. The Psi shit could be cut and I would be thankful. But the BoS being a Cali thing, no stupid Tribals, Vaults being Vaults...compared to 2, I finished 1 with gusto and joy. 2 was a slog by the end as it felt like a mishmash of cliches by San Fran (Yakuza bands just fucking around...right...).
Well, it's not that I dislike Fallout 2... it's great, dude. But atmosphere and the mood were almost completely fucked up there. Thing is, while Fallout 1 was in development longer, and the game is shorter, all unnecessary shit was cut off - like aforementioned intelligent raccoons. Fallout 2 was developed in a year, rushed, and a lot of stuff, which was maybe a filler, placeholder or explained later, was left as it is.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Fallout is overrated on account of the fact that nobody has replicated the kind of tone it was going for.
It's not only the tone that makes it good, it's the freedom and quest design.
It's a very small game. Tons of other CRPG's have those qualities. Fallout's freedom and quest design aren't exclusive to itself, its tone and setting are.
Its freedom and quest design are things it is justifiably praised for, in addition to its tone and setting.
As far as other CRPGs, there are some (like Arcanum) that match or exceed Fallout in freedom and quest design, but there are not "tons."
That's why it can afford to be a short game, because its freedom and quest design make it so replayable.

Lurker47

Savant
It's not only the tone that makes it good, it's the freedom and quest design.
It's a very small game. Tons of other CRPG's have those qualities. Fallout's freedom and quest design aren't exclusive to itself, its tone and setting are.
Its freedom and quest design are things it is justifiably praised for, in addition to its tone and setting.
As far as other CRPGs, there are some (like Arcanum) that match or exceed Fallout in freedom and quest design, but there are not "tons."
That's why it can afford to be a short game, because its freedom and quest design make it so replayable.
I beg to disagree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom