Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, what?? How does that even work

Vatnik Wumao
Agreed, The Brazilian Slaughter, but standing navies were the exception rather than the norm. So not having them at all is better than having them everywhere in terms of historical plausibility of AI expansion. Not to mention that it's not like they've cut a feature since naval combat didn't exist in CK2 either, so it's just the streamline of a preexisting feature rather than its removal. You still have sea transport and a maintenance cost associated with it, you just don't have to raise them yourself as a game mechanic.

thesecret1

Arcane
Agreed, The Brazilian Slaughter, but standing navies were the exception rather than the norm. So not having them at all is better than having them everywhere in terms of historical plausibility of AI expansion. Not to mention that it's not like they've cut a feature since naval combat didn't exist in CK2 either, so it's just the streamline of a preexisting feature rather than its removal. You still have sea transport and a maintenance cost associated with it, you just don't have to raise them yourself as a game mechanic.
Prepare for the ultimate popamole as a constant stream of mini stacks streams across the water and lands along your entire coast. Because that's what happened when they removed transports from HoI4.

Vatnik Wumao
Prepare for the ultimate popamole as a constant stream of mini stacks streams across the water and lands along your entire coast. Because that's what happened when they removed transports from HoI4.
Come to think of it, maybe that's why they've set the rallying point system for armies. This way there won't be no mini stacks due to the removal of transports.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Someone can explain how building improvements works? I saw in the latest Leon playthrough stream that there were these limited bulging slots at a duchy level?

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Interesting how each Paradox sequel is just a re-release of the previous title with the mechanics dumbed down and a couple of minor UI changes here and there. I can't wait to see EU5.

Vatnik Wumao
just a re-release of the previous title with the mechanics dumbed down and a couple of minor UI changes here and there.
Yeah, besides stuff like cadet branches, individual vassal contracts, new heresy creation system, expanded tech system tied to cultural system, expanded lifestyle system and plenty of other things which I could list. ;)

Alexios

Augur
Patron
just a re-release of the previous title with the mechanics dumbed down and a couple of minor UI changes here and there.
Yeah, besides stuff like cadet branches, individual vassal contracts, new heresy creation system, expanded tech system tied to cultural system, expanded lifestyle system and plenty of other things which I could list. ;)
None of this shit is innovative or at all worthy of a sequel. You conveniently left out all the aspects of CK2 that have been massively dumbed down.

But please, keep shilling for your politically correct Middle Ages tranny simulator. It's very entertaining.

Beowulf

Arcane
Interesting how each Paradox sequel is just a re-release of the previous title with the mechanics dumbed down and a couple of minor UI changes here and there. I can't wait to see EU5.

They found a very good formula for a game, they just don't how where they want to take it, so they are playing it safe, which is a reasonable business strategy.

Vatnik Wumao
You conveniently left out all the aspects of CK2 that have been massively dumbed down.
Or rather you conveniently left out that most of these 'massively dumbed down' aspects (list them by the way) mostly consist in DLC content from CK2. Vanilla CK3 is more developed than vanilla CK2 and those features which they've left out such as the different government types which won't come at launch (a.i. imperial, nomadic and republican) were wisely left out as to properly develop within the larger expansions rather than doing a half-assed job.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
You conveniently left out all the aspects of CK2 that have been massively dumbed down.
Or rather you conveniently left out that most of these 'massively dumbed down' aspects (list them by the way) mostly consist in DLC content from CK2. Vanilla CK3 is more developed than vanilla CK2 and those features which they've left out such as the different government types which won't come at launch (a.i. imperial, nomadic and republican) were wisely left out as to properly develop within the larger expansions rather than doing a half-assed job.
"It's fine that the game sucks shit because DLC will fix it"

Could you be any more of a cuck?

Beowulf

Arcane

While I agree with:
were wisely left out

I think that their priority does not lie in polishing the features (sure, they intend to do that by all means), but rather in the fact they realised about their playerbase and are laying groundwork for - a steady trickle of DLC's is a good source of steady income.

Vatnik Wumao
While I agree with:
were wisely left out

I think that their priority does not lie in polishing the features (sure, they intend to do that by all means), but rather in the fact they realised about their playerbase and are laying groundwork for - a steady trickle of DLC's is a good source of steady income.
Absolutely, but I'd call retarded anyone who didn't expect that from Paradox knowing the company's history. And these whiners are particularly silly when all recent Paradox grand strategy titles allow you to play the legit base game with pirated DLCs (which are easily obtainable from cs.rin.ru).

Just dumb virtue signaling that they are dignified consooomers.

The big improvement I see is the system of adding stress for not adhering to your character's traits. Envisioning the game from the ground up so that a player who is a playing a Generous character is supposed to act generous, or a cowardly character is supposed to act cowardly, rather than simply min-maxing events, is a huge change. CK2 suffered from a complete deluge of events added with every DLC that were only interesting for 2 or 3 games before you figured out roughly the optimal path. Now, every potential event can be an interesting decision that requires some thought rather than reading the first few words and clicking the best option.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The big improvement I see is the system of adding stress for not adhering to your character's traits. Envisioning the game from the ground up so that a player who is a playing a Generous character is supposed to act generous, or a cowardly character is supposed to act cowardly, rather than simply min-maxing events, is a huge change. CK2 suffered from a complete deluge of events added with every DLC that were only interesting for 2 or 3 games before you figured out roughly the optimal path. Now, every potential event can be an interesting decision that requires some thought rather than reading the first few words and clicking the best option.
I agree. It's a hugely positive change.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You were always able to adhere to your characters traits and in fact were punished by not having certain options at all or losing traits when going against the nature of your ruler. Stress just quantifies something that didn't really need quantifying but that's PDX for ya.

Vatnik Wumao
You were always able to adhere to your characters traits and in fact were punished by not having certain options at all or losing traits when going against the nature of your ruler. Stress just quantifies something that didn't really need quantifying but that's PDX for ya.
You weren't really punished for it though, just left out of some event choices and/or forced into others. And once you knew the different events and decisions to get or remove particular traits, you'd just stack the positive ones and that was that regardless of general playstyle or current goals.

Now that there are fewer traits and that these are tied to the other game systems, minmaxing actually has some depth. You need to plan ahead exactly the sort of ruler you want since the wrong trait could fuck you over (e.g. honest on a ruler engaged in lots of plots amounting to much more now than CK2's relatively benign decrease in personal intrigue).

thesecret1

Arcane
And once you knew the different events and decisions to get or remove particular traits
Once you knew? :lol: Dude, it literally tells you what'll happen when you hover over the option. There is no learning period where you memorize events, they just straight up tell you. "Do you want bravery, or cowardice?" the event asks. Gee, I don't know, such a hard choice :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom