Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance The RPG genre is weak. Very weak. Probably the weakest traditional genre in gaming

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Always has been.

There are only three RPGs that can reasonably be put into a top 10 all-time GAMES list without being laughed, booed and egged off-stage. They are:

* Jagged Alliance 2
* Fallout
* Deus Ex

These three immortal masterpieces approach perfection even though they are tremendously ambitious. As such, they would not look out of place in a top 10 that included the likes of Civilization, X-COM and Master of Orion.

Indeed, strategy is so damn strong, and such a TITAN of gaming, that we could only fit one of those three RPGs in. And it would HAVE to be Jagged Alliance 2. Because it's 10 times more complex than the other two and has actually got a strategy component, not just tactical and role-playing components. The fact that it seamlessly integrates these components = God-tier in gaming.

Take the top-ranked Codex RPG, Planescape: Torment. Now, put it in a top 10 with DOOM. Everyone'd be like, "What? Get that OUT". Because it's mostly just words.

Thank you for reading, and have a lovely day.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Old news

Gv1H8A6.png

Krivol

Magister
Always has been.

There are only three RPGs that can reasonably be put into a top 10 all-time GAMES list without being laughed, booed and egged off-stage. They are:

* Jagged Alliance 2
* Fallout
* Deus Ex

These three immortal masterpieces approach perfection even though they are tremendously ambitious. As such, they would not look out of place in a top 10 that included the likes of Civilization, X-COM and Master of Orion.

Indeed, strategy is so damn strong, and such a TITAN of gaming, that we could only fit one of those three RPGs in. And it would HAVE to be Jagged Alliance 2. Because it's 10 times more complex than the other two and has actually got a strategy component, not just tactical and role-playing components. The fact that it seamlessly integrates these components = God-tier in gaming.

Take the top-ranked Codex RPG, Planescape: Torment. Now, put it in a top 10 with DOOM. Everyone'd be like, "What? Get that OUT". Because it's mostly just words.

Thank you for reading, and have a lovely day.

WHAT? 3 games of top 10, it's 33,3% of best games of gazillions of genres are RPGs, and you are saying it's a weak genre?

C1ifxYFXgAEbt9R

mondblut

Arcane
WHAT? 3 games of top 10, it's 33,3% of best games of gazillions of genres are RPGs, and you are saying it's a weak genre?

C1ifxYFXgAEbt9R

Lilly's not good at math, it seems.

If 3 games out of 10 are RPGs and at least 3 others (as listed) are strategies, that leaves 4 or less to be shared between every garbage genre on the market.

Being the second best genre is quite alright.

While role-playing genre is for most part not in "position of power" now - and have not been in such position for very long time [be it WRPG's, JRPG's, and so on] even in mid 90-s, as far as i know - it is genre that needs to exist for reasons and provides experience that player cannot get in TBS, RTS, adventure-quests games.
It is not about story and not about an atmosphere (at least for me) that defines special experience - it is about different role-playing systems, that used to define experience itself and even define an immersion - such as in-game economy, loot system and distribution of said loot, spell-casting system, skill / attributes system, exploration and interaction with world using *most* systems combined [such as ability to bribe guards or reverse-pickpocket to place explosives, etc].

Basically, RPG genre always had and will have a steady niche, even with really mediocre games by now - people will continue to demand games in this genre (even if they will get shit in most cases) or continue to look into this genre older titles.
Design of role-playing genre provides a lot of opportunities both to player and to developer - and even with developers not using friction of such fabulous potential - it is still very memorable genre for many people and for me.

P.S. I myself a fan of strategy and tactical games (such as XCOM: Ufo Defense, Master of Magic, C&C series, Majesty 1, Warlords 1, etc), so this is just my throughts on one of the genres i appreciate.
P.P.S. Have a nice day too, Lilura 0/

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
role-playing genre is for most part not in "position of power" now

https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-famitsu-sales-for-cy-2019-top-100-software-hardware/
In Japan, currently still the market that matters the most for the funding of JRPGs, JRPGs are still absolutely dominant and arguably the strongest genre after ninendo partyshit. They absolutely are in a position of power in their domestic market.

Last edited:

pidstuff

Educated
Other genres don't seem to have a lot of contenders for top 10 either. When we think of a top FPS, it's usually just Doom and/or Half-Life, for 4x games people would probably say the best is SMAC and maybe Civ 4, for RTS there seems to be a couple more options like the obvious StarCraft, then AoE2 and maybe a C&C title and all those games that I mentioned are merely off the top of my head the most popular of the genre and so-called best.

So RPGs having all those 3 as serious top contenders in an all-time top 10 games is pretty good tbh.

Krivol

Magister

No, I said there's only room for one RPG: Jagged Alliance 2. Codex ranks JA2 14th.

I'm among those people who are not that sure if JA2 is an RPG, but we are going back to the question - what is RPG. IMO both F1 and DX easily belong to top 10 (even if DX is not my pair of shoes). Also - what means top 10? It's subjective, we can look at sales or for how long game is supported by fans (then SWOS is in top 10) .

RPG is not a strong genre in terms of earning money - well, hardcore (or whatever we call it) RPG, Skyrim and Witcher 3 made shitload of money.

My personal top 10 has at least 4 rpgs (Fallout 1,2, NV, JA2) so it is not underpresented.

https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/japan-famitsu-sales-for-cy-2019-top-100-software-hardware/
In Japan, currently still the market that matters the most for the funding of JRPGs, JRPGs are still absolutely dominant and arguably the strongest genre after ninendo partyshit. They absolutely are dominant in their domestic market.

Ahh, interesting in this regard. Been always thinking about some other genres that are more popular in Japanese domestic market.
And while i respect some JRPG's and love of Japanese developers in regard to oldest Might & Magic's / Wizardry's - i do not see them too different to a medium of RPG's, in general. Wonder if JRPG's still be as popular in Japan after 10 years...

Probably from RTS genre here is not a lot of "contenders". Personally, Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun is closest for the best C&C title (Red Alert 2 also pretty close), Rise of Nations, *maybe* Age of Empires 2.
Same with 4x genre - it is sad example of how really awesome games by content and by design (such as Age of Wonders 2) suffered from immensely long matches and tedious micro-managment : [

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm among those people who are not that sure if JA2 is an RPG

JA2 transcends genre. In some contexts, it is an insult to call JA2 an RPG because the acronym is almost become a vulgarity.

Also - what means top 10? It's subjective, we can look at sales or for how long game is supported by fans

I look at vision, design and coding prowess. I don't give a shit about sales, fans or the media.

My personal top 10 has at least 4 rpgs (Fallout 1,2, NV, JA2) so it is not underpresented.

That just shows your bias in favor of inferior genre. For example, someone mentioned "moba" as a genre before. I don't even acknowledge moba existence. I'm over 30 years of age; of course I'm talking about traditional genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom