Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance The RPG genre is weak. Very weak. Probably the weakest traditional genre in gaming

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For example, someone mentioned "moba" as a genre before. I don't even acknowledge moba existence. I'm over 30 years of age; of course I'm talking about traditional genre.

I may not agree with your underrating of the RPG genre but I fully agree with your complete and utter dismissal of MOBAs.

MOBAs are a degeneration of the RTS. It's what happens when you remove 99% of features that make RTS fun and pretend you made a new genre. It's literally Warcraft 3 with no resource gathering, no base building, no unit training, you just control one hero. Lame and boring, worst meme genre ever conceived of.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
rusty is more bark than bite, he wouldn't know how to curbstomp anything that can either run away or defend itself
Should I leave the two of you alone?

Anyway, didn't find SS2 spooky at all. My first run was at hard, and soon I was running around hitting people and not people in the face with a rapier like a true D'Artagnan. Получи, каналья!

I feel that RPG mechanics are there mostly to limit the player from totally dominating the place.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ahh, interesting in this regard. Been always thinking about some other genres that are more popular in Japanese domestic market.
And while i respect some JRPG's and love of Japanese developers in regard to oldest Might & Magic's / Wizardry's - i do not see them too different to a medium of RPG's, in general. Wonder if JRPG's still be as popular in Japan after 10 years...

There aren't any real contenders currently. Shooters are incredibly niche in Japan and the concept of aiming with a mouse is relatively foreign. Turn based strategy is already fused with JRPGs in the SRPG. RTS never existed in the east and are dead in the west. The Japanese aren't terribly interested in sports games, or sport in general, apart from party games.
Yakuza style games might develop further and shed their rpg elements in favor of open world GTA style games with the success of Ghost of Tsushima, but that is rather unlikely, as the newest Yakuza will be a turn based rpg.

It's been popular since Wizardry was released there. It's not going to stop anytime soon.

Ever since they got their hands on bootleg copies of Ultima 1 really. They got Wizardry a little later in 1985, and it always had a lesser influence than Ultima, which spawned Dragon Quest (Warrior) 1.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's been popular since Wizardry was released there. It's not going to stop anytime soon.

Ever since they got their hands on bootleg copies of Ultima 1 really. They got Wizardry a little later in 1985, and it always had a lesser influence than Ultima, which spawned Dragon Quest (Warrior) 1.

Eh, you remember wrong, DQ was spawned from both Ultima and Wizardry

The original idea for Dragon Quest came during the development of the NES port of Portopia. Horii and Nakamura came across the RPG Wizardry at a Macworld Conference & Expo. While it had some influence on the NES Portopia's dungeon crawl segments, Horii liked the game's depth and visuals. He wanted to create a game similar to Wizardry, to expose the mainly Western-exclusive RPG genre to Japan and to expand the genre past computer enthusiasts.[38][40] Horii also cited Ultima as an inspiration for Dragon Quest's gameplay,[42][43] specifically the first-person random battles in Wizardry and the overhead perspective of Ultima.[1]

Last edited:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Always has been.

There are only three RPGs that can reasonably be put into a top 10 all-time GAMES list without being laughed, booed and egged off-stage. They are:

* Jagged Alliance 2
* Fallout
* Deus Ex

These three immortal masterpieces approach perfection even though they are tremendously ambitious. As such, they would not look out of place in a top 10 that included the likes of Civilization, X-COM and Master of Orion.

Indeed, strategy is so damn strong, and such a TITAN of gaming, that we could only fit one of those three RPGs in. And it would HAVE to be Jagged Alliance 2. Because it's 10 times more complex than the other two and has actually got a strategy component, not just tactical and role-playing components. The fact that it seamlessly integrates these components = God-tier in gaming.

Take the top-ranked Codex RPG, Planescape: Torment. Now, put it in a top 10 with DOOM. Everyone'd be like, "What? Get that OUT". Because it's mostly just words.

Thank you for reading, and have a lovely day.
Is no one reading your blog anymore? Did you perhaps create this thread so people see the "who is Lilura?" part in your sig and thus make their way over to your blog so it seems like people read it?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Eh, you remember wrong, DQ was spawned from both Ultima and Wizardry

I stand corrected, Yuyi Horii cites both as influences for DQ 1.

mk0

Learned
It's easier to pick up and play a JRPG than a CRPG. High friction means low attachment.

Trashos

Arcane
Yeah, dunno about this. I haven't played many genres, but I am pretty sure that they all are mostly trash, with a great title every now and then.

For example, sports gaming is not bad. I haven't played such titles in a while, but in its history we can find a great football title in Pro Evo, a great basketball title in NBA 2k(16), a great football management title in Football Manager, a strong american football title in TV Sports Football etc. Strong genre, no question about it. If we however decide to invest ourselves in it and play all the crap that come out in sports gaming, it would be quite depressing.

I'm among those people who are not that sure if JA2 is an RPG

JA2 transcends genre. In some contexts, it is an insult to call JA2 an RPG because the acronym is almost become a vulgarity.

Also - what means top 10? It's subjective, we can look at sales or for how long game is supported by fans

I look at vision, design and coding prowess. I don't give a shit about sales, fans or the media.

My personal top 10 has at least 4 rpgs (Fallout 1,2, NV, JA2) so it is not underpresented.

That just shows your bias in favor of inferior genre. For example, someone mentioned "moba" as a genre before. I don't even acknowledge moba existence. I'm over 30 years of age; of course I'm talking about traditional genre.

What, so you were maybe a teenager when MOBAs got big in Warcraft 3?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I may not agree with your underrating of the RPG genre but I fully agree with your complete and utter dismissal of MOBAs.

Honestly had to Google the retarded term to make sure I knew what degeneracy was being referred to. I certainly haven't engaged in even light correspondence with any such degenerates in the past. Oh well, at least a few have been exposed ITT.

My first RTS was Dune 2. Loved it, but stopped there until Battleground: Infinity came out.

Trashos

Arcane
Sporting games market is dominated by EA Sports. How much decline they bring to the table you can gauge yourself. Just look at FIFA, for example.

That is like saying that RPGs are dominated by Bethesda. I do not think that this is the level of the discussion here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom