Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dual Universe

Are any of you active in the alpha now? I'm starved for sci-fi and very close to pledging.

Seems like the kind of game I'll want to get in on early, so I might as well start learning it.

Btw. they recently released the full soundtrack, many good ambient tunes if you're into synthwave.

A better version of this type of game already exists. https://empyriongame.com/

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It is quite similar to empyrion, in fact it is so similar I wonder if they have some of their devs working on the game. However, things like ship design/control are much more complex in DU.

It is quite similar to empyrion, in fact it is so similar I wonder if they have some of their devs working on the game. However, things like ship design/control are much more complex in DU.

IDK. Not tried DU but I expect it to be a bit crap. I just can't see how it will be fun.
Part of the issue for me has been the unnecessary secrecy around the project, its hard to really judge it as all I have seen is very laggy videos of curated scenes.
Then theres the whole persistent open world experience...ack I just don't see that working or being fun.

asfasdf

robot
Patron
Scripting ship controls, automated features, navigation systems, auto prospecting, etc. and selling the modules to other players is fun, and it is all supported in-game. What I think won't work very well is pvp, it will probably be as awful as empyrion's combat.

Scripting ship controls, automated features, navigation systems, auto prospecting, etc. and selling the modules to other players is fun, and it is all supported in-game. What I think won't work very well is pvp, it will probably be as awful as empyrion's combat.

Ah yeah, right. That makes sense. I can see it being fun as a modders type game, but not much cop as an MMORPG. Which is what you are basically saying?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The technology behind this is "a bit" more advanced than Empyrion ..

The idea was to realize a seemless multiplayer in space whereas Empyrian is a typical survival/builder with multiplayer, where you have to pretend that you are on different planets.

I would also like to understand what some people mean by calling it "boring" though, because it is by definition supposed to be vast, which is boring to some people but realistic to others. The real world is also mostly boring, especially if you travel in space. But that doesn't mean there is not enough to keep you interested for a lifetime. The reason that ED was so uninteresting despite its size is only because it's so predictable and formulaic. I don't mind long periods of boredom if I can go anywhere and might discover something truly extraordinary, especially if there are ways to predict where you have to look, which are neither too easy nor too hard.

The technology behind this is "a bit" more advanced than Empyrion ..

The idea was to realize a seemless multiplayer in space whereas Empyrian is a typical survival/builder with multiplayer, where you have to pretend that you are on different planets.

I would also like to understand what some people mean by calling it "boring" though, because it is by definition supposed to be vast, which is boring to some people but realistic to others. The real world is also mostly boring, especially if you travel in space. But that doesn't mean there is not enough to keep you interested for a lifetime. The reason that ED was so uninteresting despite its size is only because it's so predictable and formulaic. I don't mind long periods of boredom if I can go anywhere and might discover something truly extraordinary, especially if there are ways to predict where you have to look, which are neither too easy nor too hard.

This "technology" behind DU is nothing new, its been done twenty years prior. I'm sure Empyrion (being the far more seasoned developers) could work it in if they wanted. But they knew better.
But that aside, the problem as I see it is when you run a large server you will you have the "second life" effect where the game deviates from what it was intended to be.
Or if you do a more direct comparison - No Mans Sky. A huge universe but as shallow as a puddle (perhaps some people may like that).

For someone like me, I want to play with like minded players working together to curate an experience.

Mortmal

Arcane
DarkUnderlord i think its worth tagging you, you can buy beta access soon https://www.dualthegame.com/fr/ , either buying an old alpha pack, some at 60 euros only, or waiting for the beta .*
I am kinda hyped for this, even if i am worried you need 15 players to man a capital ship, and i still dont know who will protect my stuff when i sleep.

DarkUnderlord i think its worth tagging you, you can buy beta access soon https://www.dualthegame.com/fr/ , either buying an old alpha pack, some at 60 euros only, or waiting for the beta .*
I am kinda hyped for this, even if i am worried you need 15 players to man a capital ship, and i still dont know who will protect my stuff when i sleep.

I'd say that its better to wait until its released 27th Aug. As of now I'm not entirely convinced DU is not a scam, vapourware or something along those lines. Bear in mind they are asking over $200 for access to something that they don't even allow people to talk about or show any in game videos.
I myself purchased an Iron Supporter pack and never received access (the forum mods made some excuse along the lines of "oh that pack, yeah....that's not eligible right now check back in 2 years).
Others have said the same. Better to err on the side of caution - a fool and his money are soon parted.

Burning Bridges

I'd say that its better to wait until its released 27th Aug. As of now I'm not entirely convinced DU is not a scam, vapourware or something along those lines. Bear in mind they are asking over $200 for access to something that they don't even allow people to talk about or show any in game videos.

How Dare You!! Jean-Christophe Baillie is the thinking-man's Chris Robert's. And he is much sexier too.

Besides, now that Hellion failed so miserably and Star Citizen officially became a joke I would have to play DU even if it was a sack of shit.

Mortmal

Arcane

I myself purchased an Iron Supporter pack and never received access (the forum mods made some excuse along the lines of "oh that pack, yeah....that's not eligible right now check back in 2 years).
Others have said the same. Better to err on the side of caution - a fool and his money are soon parted.
The NDA is lifted the 27, if its a scam or complete shit, we will know it.
Well thanks to darkunderlord new little prank ,unfunny and lasting far too long, i think i will not update this nor share my thoughts about the game. You'll have to spend and try for yourself. Good luck gentlemen you'll need it.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
This is the ultimate "cool in theory horrible in practice" game. Given the hype, budget and scale surrounding Star Citizen I expect that to be less empty than this one will be, this is going to be yet another barren voxel MMO. Assuming there's even an audience for this, is that audience willing to pay a subscription? How long will that last?

I really want to like this because this is tailor made for me but there aren't many people like me out there. Definitely not enough to sustain a single shard MMO like this. There's hardly enough for EVE and most of Dual Universe's potential players would have to quit that to play this.

Erikkolai

Learned
For what it's worth, I expect this to be my main game for the foreseeable future. Started playing it a few days ago and it's really hooked me.

I've barely scratched the surface and can't make a review yet. But I'm impressed with the systems and interfaces so far. Highly customizable as well.

It scratches many of my itches at the same time, being science fiction while having gameplay elements from Eve, Space Engineers, and Minecraft.

Great versatility. There's many varied activities to engage in, whether I want to tryhard or just casually play while watching a stream or talkshow on 2nd screen.

Seems like a great outlet for creative urges. I think I can practically build anything here. Looking forward to designing many crappy pepega vehicles while learning.

The skill training system has many similarities to the one from EVE. You accumulate skill points in real-time, and can queue up several skills that will be trained whether you log in or not. So if you plan on playing this game, it may be worthwhile to sign up early to start accumulating points and skills. There'll likely be a wipe at release though.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Is there a real economy of some sort or just a building game? somehow I still don't understand what this game actually is.

If I could become filthy rich by prospecting and mining far out planets, and it was really difficult, requires investments and transporting machines etc, that this would be addicting to me to build up such a company.

But just building stuff? why pretend I am building a doghouse in Andromeda if I can just as well do it here?

Also are all planets like that? It does not look right if there are conifer forests in the background, it needs a little more creativity.

Is there a real economy of some sort or just a building game? somehow I still don't understand what this game actually is.

If I could become filthy rich by prospecting and mining far out planets, and it was really difficult, requires investments and transporting machines etc, that this would be addicting to me to build up such a company.

But just building stuff? why pretend I am building a doghouse in Andromeda if I can just as well do it here?

Also are all planets like that? It does not look right if there are conifer forests in the background, it needs a little more creativity.

Not actually tried DU yet but my understanding is that yes, there is an economy and this is a large part of the game. There is mining and that's how you become rich.

However, at the moment the overwhelming consensus is that everything sucks.

ADL

Prophet
I still don't understand how they're going to keep people interacting with each other and not just fucking off to their own galaxies way off in the distance.

I still don't understand how they're going to keep people interacting with each other and not just fucking off to their own galaxies way off in the distance.

They can't. The system is self regulating. Dense areas will lag to hell (as shown in the starting area), and people will move further and further away to play somewhere with less lag and only a few people....
Which is exactly what Empyrion has been all along!

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

They can't. The system is self regulating. Dense areas will lag to hell (as shown in the starting area), and people will move further and further away to play somewhere with less lag and only a few people....
Which is exactly what Empyrion has been all along!
You had better in shore of hazeron, if you could stand the graphics. And of course the same problem arise in all those kind of games, someone need to watch your stuff when you are offline, nothing beats a 20 unemployed men defense team. Then there's no interaction , no real reason for conflict except grieifing since universe tend to be large there's enough ressources for everyone.At least in shore of hazeron i could protect my planets by building so much everyone lagged and they were not able to do anything before the tl32 laser towers shred them.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
They've got open Beta now gents. Signed up all giddy like and...

Got bored to death by the tutorial.

Tutorial: Here's a thing. Do you want to do the thing? NO YOU CANNOT DO THIS THING HAHA THIS IS TUTORIAL. Move on to the next thing. Can I do the thing? NO YOU CANNOT DO THE THING HAHA THIS IS TUTORIAL.
It's not a tutorial, it's a walk-about youtube video. If you're going to have things and show me things, let me PLAY WITH THE THING so I gain CONTEXT. Infodumping the minute I login with things like, equip this item to mine, NO YOU WILL NOT MINE YOU MUST NOW UNEQUIP THIS ITEM HAHA THIS IS TUTORIAL. Is not actually helpful. All they've done so far is spent... (30 minutes? 40 minutes? Who knows, I've stopped caring and am watching youtube videos while their AI voice blathers on and I wait for the next highlighted command I can press to learn something else that I can't do.)... basically saying, "Hey, this game has a market place. NO YOU CANNOT INTERACT WITH IT THIS IS TUTORIAL. You know you can mine in this game? NO YOU WILL NOT MINE. THIS IS TUTORIAL".

Then they got me all excited and showed me some kind of VR pod things that allow you to explore other places or something I dunno. I thought cool, let's play with that finally and see some cool shit only... NO THESE ARE FAKE PODS. HAHA THIS IS TUTORIAL.

I've been watching YouTube videos about this shit for months, I don't need to be told that this game has a marketplace. And the annoying thing? The tutorial has dumped so much info-blathering on me with a hundred different commands that I can't remember how to skip the fucking useless interactive youtube video from hell.

Perkel

Arcane
Reminds me space engineers tutorial.

Me spend 50 minutes following tutorial getting confused being infodumped about things i won't even use for next 20 hours. Uninstall.

Start it again once 1.0 was released. I decided to skip tutorial and just get dropped on earth like planet with no clue. Instantly figured out everything i needed to know due to some just pop control hints and gradually learned about things as i unlocked them...

Last edited:

asfasdf

robot
Patron
I played a couple months during early beta, game is still very bare bones. Also, just skip the tutorial.

Burning Bridges

I have paid subscription based games before, for example The Hunter, but they had a free version that did not have all features.

How the hell am I supposed to know if I want to pay a subscription if there is no free trial period? The whole Dual Universe campaign seems to be completely incompetent how to attract playersm as if they are content being that game almost everyone has heard about but doesn't understand.

It's funny to read threads like this from page 1. And immediately it's obviously shit, followed by people saying "But people who play space games want it to be boring and shitty!". Then it turns out, no, lol, nobody likes boring shitty games.

Even Burning Bridges turned on it after being a shill. You don't usually see that kind of turnaround. Did anyone here pay them 180 dollars to test their shitty game for them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom