Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Remnant series" or something like that

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Just a warning to everyone: the scaling reaches 'Oblivion' levels of retardation.

The gameplay is still pretty fun, but I strongly suggest you only upgrade your weapons when you're stuck and then everything you still want to use to the same level.

My understanding of it isn't perfect but I think there is a bit more nuance to that. When you roll a new area, the enemies in it scale to your weapon's upgrade level. However, each area has a minimum level to which the enemies scale to, so you have to upgrade to stay competitive. So as Teut suggests, the optimal way to upgrade is after already rolling up an area, finding that you are not doing as much damage as you'd like, then buying only as many upgrades as necessary for you to beat the area. (EDIT: there should be a section of your character screen that shows your armor and weapon levels relative to the area you are in so you can just use that to match to the area). Personally I've always just upgraded my shit when the option became available and never ran into trouble.

I guess a way to modify this design to make weapon upgrades more meaningful would have been cap the maximum level of an area as well, so that you could be rewarded for, say, dumping 3 upgrades into a single weapon one area into a world.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
i'm midly enjoying the game ( got free on epic) but i don't like the artificial difficulty to add a bunch of adds to bosses and minibosses.
first boss i encountered would have been no problem if it wasnt for suicide bomber adds 2shotting you .
btw i've read some lore of the game on terminals and it seems pretty cool and interesting ( the whole dreamers thing)

Erikkolai

Learned
My favorite game of 2019, got hooked and played for a few hundred hours. Extremely satisfying combat mechanics, coupled with my favorite art style (dark gritty realistic). And unlike Dark Souls, designed & optimized for PC. Also has a lot of lore if you're into that.

Know the boss fights inside out & completed permadeath run. Can't wait to get back into it once the expansion hits. High hopes for whatever the devs got planned next.

:happytrollboy:

All I ask for in life is ELEX 2 with these combat mechanics.

i don't like the artificial difficulty to add a bunch of adds to bosses and minibosses.
first boss i encountered would have been no problem if it wasnt for suicide bomber adds 2shotting you

At some point you might start recognizing the adds as beautiful little ammo piñatas, and welcome them.

My preferred playstyle makes it easy to deal with adds. I have full focus on mobility, using light armor for faster rolls that consume less stamina. Mostly use powerful single-shot weapons (sniper rifle or hunting pistol) to minimize the time I need to stand still.

I assume the 'suicide bombers' are the explosive ballsacks. Their sound cue is extremely noticable, you can hear them coming a mile away. Can be a bit overwhelming when you're learning the Gorefist fight though.

Last edited:
Thing about adds is that they are kind of required to make the boss fights challenging in this game IMO. The devs designed every enemy to have very readable tells that usually include both visual and audio cues prior to attacks. I think this is very clean design but it does mean that fighting single enemies is almost always manageable as long as you are paying attention. Adds introduce an additional layer to bossfights requiring you to appropriately split your attention between them and the boss while constantly managing your position. Nothing artificial about it.

Puukko

Arcane
Grabbed this and been having a good time with it. I made it to goat planet in roughly one sitting and I like the enemy and environment variety. It starts off in a typical post apocalyptic setting but then really pulls the rug from under you and presents some really nice areas. It clearly takes inspiration from a lot of sources but does not rip them off. The desert planet had Necron vibes with some Morrowind thrown in there, and the swamp planet had a very Morrowind aesthetic as well. You've got the butcher and the boss after that reminded me of a WoW boss with its mechanics. The bugs on the bridge were like Moonlight butterfly if that fight was not shit, and the first properly difficult boss as I didn't have any suitable weapons upgraded. I find normal difficulty to be well balanced.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Was ok in coop with my brother but i don't see it as a strong solo title. There are too few weapons and enemy types, it gets old fairly quickly shooting the same stuff with the same weapon the whole time. The upgrade system feels pointless, apparently due to the scaling as i take it from other posts. I always upgraded my stuff when i had the resources to do so and therefore always used my upgraded weapon and had no incentive to switch weapons. However the basic mechanics for shooting is solid. I only play coop games side-by-side with people that i know, i don't know how it works out with random people.
multiplayer is not well implemented at all. there is no way to communicate with others not even emotes ( at least that i know). i played a level today with another person and we did root mother together. then i had to go and coouldnt even say goodbye. i disconnected after the checkpoint and i left the guy there. there is also the problem to join games : you are not sure if the person is gonna rest to a checkpoint soon and a lot of people leave before you reach one. i had several times this happen while running back to checkpoint to spawn prople, but without a way to communicate they coouldnt know

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Thing about adds is that they are kind of required to make the boss fights challenging in this game IMO. The devs designed every enemy to have very readable tells that usually include both visual and audio cues prior to attacks. I think this is very clean design but it does mean that fighting single enemies is almost always manageable as long as you are paying attention. Adds introduce an additional layer to bossfights requiring you to appropriately split your attention between them and the boss while constantly managing your position. Nothing artificial about it.
i think its more due to the fact minibosses and bosses have too few attacks and moves and result being very predictable. compare that to monster hunter where a monster have 7-8 things he can do and each you have to react appropriately so they needs no adds. if bosses were more complex adds would not be needed

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Damn guys i understimated this game. just beat the
dragon
boss . it was AMAZING with 2 more people. it was very well designed around coop and took more than 10 tries and 2 people quit thinking we coouldnt do it. at the end we were 3 and 1 person person died and quit during fight and we were left with the boss health scaled but managed to do it. it reminded me a mmorpg raid boss in a good way. also fantastic reward. i hope other bosses manage to be at this level of polish

Falksi

Arcane

Falksi

Arcane
Once you touch consoles they forever taint your purity.

My purity went long ago I'm afraid :negative:

I love a good console gaming sesh as much as a love a good PC one. Variety is the spice of life, and for me it's like switching between tits & ass. Both have their place & smell great.

Erikkolai

Learned
multiplayer is not well implemented at all. there is no way to communicate with others not even emotes ( at least that i know). i played a level today with another person and we did root mother together. then i had to go and coouldnt even say goodbye. i disconnected after the checkpoint and i left the guy there. there is also the problem to join games : you are not sure if the person is gonna rest to a checkpoint soon and a lot of people leave before you reach one. i had several times this happen while running back to checkpoint to spawn prople, but without a way to communicate they coouldnt know

There's voice chat and emotes. You just can't text each other.

Multiplayer seems very well implemented to me. I get the impression that Remnant was designed for squad play (max 3 players though). I've watched some big Twitch streamers like Summit1g (FPS pro) playing multiplayer (full playthrough) and loving it.

Was ok in coop with my brother but i don't see it as a strong solo title. There are too few weapons and enemy types, it gets old fairly quickly shooting the same stuff with the same weapon the whole time. The upgrade system feels pointless, apparently due to the scaling as i take it from other posts. I always upgraded my stuff when i had the resources to do so and therefore always used my upgraded weapon and had no incentive to switch weapons. However the basic mechanics for shooting is solid. I only play coop games side-by-side with people that i know, i don't know how it works out with random people.

There's at least 15 big guns, 9 small guns, and 16 melee weapons. There's also 22 mods that can be applied. I've found the weapons to be very distinct from each other, suiting many different playstyles. But most of them need to be unlocked (through boss fights or special zones/encounters), so yeah the initial selection can be a bit limited.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I love a good console gaming sesh as much as a love a good PC one. Variety is the spice of life, and for me it's like switching between tits & ass. Both have their place & smell great.

I was gearing up to burn you at the stake but that's a good analogy so I'll put the fire out.

Silly Germans

Multiplayer seems very well implemented to me. I get the impression that Remnant was designed for squad play (max 3 players though). I've watched some big Twitch streamers like Summit1g (FPS pro) playing multiplayer (full playthrough) and loving it.

There's at least 15 big guns, 9 small guns, and 16 melee weapons. There's also 22 mods that can be applied. I've found the weapons to be very distinct from each other, suiting many different playstyles. But most of them need to be unlocked (through boss fights or special zones/encounters), so yeah the initial selection can be a bit limited.

Switching your main gun during the first playthrough seems counter intuitive, given the limited resources. I don't think that i managed to upgrade more than 3 or 4 guns during my playthrough, the game certainly doesn't encourage you to switch weapons around with its upgrade system. Having a carry limit of only one main weapon and one side arm at a time doesn't make it easy to try ranged weapons out either. The gameplay and the weapons themselves are fine, but like i said, it feels a lot more limited than classical shooters where you have always access to your whole arsenal. Even if the games has more weapons overall, you are stuck with the same old gun for longer intervals than in old games where you can switch weapons whenever you want.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

yeah i discovered emotes but didnt figure yet how to activate voice chat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom