Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And now a tweet roundup Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/posts/2917561

Build updates and gif roundup

Alpha/Beta backers — we'll be having an update this week with a couple new death matches for testing, as well as a beginning map of the game — after your "landing" — for a more full scale test of gameplay systems. You can scurry around the jungle and sneak around (alternative read: tear through) scavengers who have an encampment nearby, searching for the keys to a boat for a ferryman to get you to the city.

We'll be breaking out the mic and showcasing this off when we release it.

9c2fdd567e016b4f813ccacb7cd3c1ad_original.gif

In the meantime, .gif tax of some recent web activity:

~

~

~

e6dcd4f52d7eb1581d1d929cee261829_original.gif

gotta be sneaky
~

~

~

~

~

Hope this reaches you all safe and well,

Hannah & Joe

grimace

Arcane

Whalenought Studios
@whalenought

The squad menu lets you give your companions combat maneuver types per group (melee, range, shield, etc.) as well as names to glorify or mock them. Command them around with 1 - 4 keys for flanking maneuvers, à la Brothers in Arms.

Risks and challenges

We like to think we’re decent planners, but development can always throw unexpected hurdles and we've worked in ample time in our schedule to account for that. Our previous game, Serpent in the Staglands, released on schedule, give or take a few months, and we're confident we can keep to a tight schedule again this time around. We'll be introducing a lot more players and testers early into our development cycle to aid with that. We strive to keep our backers informed if anything changes and when we finally set a release date, and while we do have a current internal release timeline set, the Kickstarter goals and testing factors might alter that. We’d like to release the maiden voyage of the Burning Candle ruleset in action as bug-free as possible and take our time cleaning it up, so at this time we’re not committing to a release date. After the closed beta we will be able to announce a quarter to release it in.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649838104/copper-dreams/description

This is going to make for one hell of a Matt Chat.

grimace

Arcane
I mean, they already changed the graphics and the name. Might as well change the gameplay, too.

To be fair, the game-play from the first Alpha build til the first Beta build has been iterative.

We’re so excited to be back on Kickstarter with our new game, Copper Dreams! It's an isometric, party-based, turn-based, pen-and-paper-inspired game in a dystopian cyberpunk setting. Think an isometric Escape from New York, or Deus Ex.

• isometric
  • party-based
  • turn-based

We are seeing the gameplay described from day one of Kickstarter.

Definition - What does Iterative Game Design mean?
Iterative game design is the process by which a video game is repeatedly proposed, prototyped, play tested and reevaluated prior to working product release. Iterative game design operates on the following principle: It is unrealistic to create an ideal product on the first try.

By creating and testing working models on core criteria (such as fun), game designers are able to refine product on a gradual basis and increase market success potential.

Techopedia explains Iterative Game Design
Iterative design is applied in many fields but has had an outsized impact in gaming. Game designers use prototyping and play testing techniques to ensure game element functionality and expand or discover game concepts for increased user enjoyment. Many game studios have professional and volunteer play testing groups that test prototypes and provide vital feedback for subsequent prototypes.

We are at the "find the fun" portion of development. Probably. Maybe. Could be?

buffalo bill

Arcane
Is gameplay now fully real-time?
Trailer and Twitter videos remind me of Almost Alive (another post-apoc vaporware RPG).
In combat, it is just like a traditional roguelike--events only occur when you take actions, and time is broken into rounds (I am not sure of more specific details, e.g. how/if movement speed is determined, which can get pretty complicated in different roguelikes). The biggest difference from most roguelikes I am familiar with is that projectiles have different speeds, and you can sometimes step out of the way of slow-moving projectiles unless you have initiated a different action, or can fire a projectile toward the anticipated movement path of an enemy.

My gripes about movement controls are related to the overall roguelike nature of combat. I ALWAYS want to move only one tile at a time, and mouse input for this ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. Also, out of combat the game reverts to real time, but I maintain that it would be better for it not to do this, and they should add a wait key or keys to keyboard movement controls for situations where you want to observe enemy movement or whatever.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm disappointed that they replaced the Mobius style art, with the boring brown and grey one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom