Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access release date announcement on August 18th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate 3; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Last week, Larian announced on social media that the Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access would not be making it out in August. However, it's apparently just around the corner. The exact release date will be announced on August 18th at an online event they're calling the Panel From Hell, featuring Swen Vincke alongside Geoff Keighley, Larian writer Adam Smith, and Chris Perkins from Wizards of the Coast. Further details about the event were revealed this week. It sounds like it's going to be pretty extensive. In addition to the release date announcement, we'll also get to see the final part of the game's intro cinematic. Also, something about lobotomies. Swen released a teaser video yesterday that sums it up:

The Baldur's Gate 3 official website has the full schedule for the panel. Swen will also be appearing on the Dropped Frames podcast the day afterwards.

Murk

Arcane
Dorito Pope eh.

Guess he's slightly less obnoxious than that generic bearded soyboy.

Chunkyman

Augur
I really don't understand why they would have Dorito Pope at this panel, but I do like Larian's very open style of development updates and info dumps even though this isn't a Kickstarter game.

Gwendo

Augur
I won’t probably resist to play the EA, just like I did with DOS1 and 2, but I’m undecided if I next will wait for the enhanced edition before touching it again.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Early Access release date announcement on August 18th"

This is some "announcement date for the teaser for the trailer for the movie" type of shit. :P

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
Will some races be inherently evil in this or have they changed that now?

I think WotC changed parts of that in the core ruleset, so perhaps BG will follow.

I wouldn't recommend it to Larian, cause this whole debate is just another level of nerd fighting.
If people believe they can map the complex ethics of reality to a game's ruleset, they are roughly on the same level as 1970s wargaming nerds who believed they can map the complexity of a battle like Gettysburg to a tabletop game.
To an extent it works, but at a certain point it just becomes petty bickering over how "realistic" the rules are.

Just keep the fairy tale good and evil and be done with it. If you want something more complex, look at good and evil from the perspective of the applied system of ethics.
Meaning, good and evil in the ruleset are always from the human perspective - for Drow it might be completely different. The orcs don't regard themselves as evil either I suppose, but they certainly are from a human perspective.
You could always go with that, but then again: Good and evil are somehow fixed constants in D&D (that are connected to gods?) - or so I was told. So the whole discussion is probably pointless anyway.
As I said: Gettysburg.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Good and evil are somehow fixed constants in D&D (that are connected to gods?)

Eilistraee's existence proves that Drow are not inherently evil but their evilness is tide to Llolth, her demands, expectations, etc... all contributing to modern Drow culture being evil.

Drow are not inherently evil (Drizzt being an example), however Mindflayer's are scum of the universe. Purge those evil bastards!

Elex

Arbiter
I really don't understand why they would have Dorito Pope at this panel, but I do like Larian's very open style of development updates and info dumps even though this isn't a Kickstarter game.
Apparently he have monopolized all the gaming events of 2020.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I look forward to reading what Lilura thinks of BG3.

You won't; it's dead to her because it looks too much like D:OS.

Modern Divinity has some very open ended combat thanks to terrain/elements manipulation. I had done some creative shit, I even sequence broke D:OS by skipping the second chapter all together until the end of the game.

I can't see why anyone would hate it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aren't you supposed to be the number one stalker?

This isn't the first time she's flip-flopped though I see she's true to the letter of what she said (never discussing BG3 on her main blog).

Gargaune

Magister
Drow are not inherently evil (Drizzt being an example), however Mindflayer's are scum of the universe. Purge those evil bastards!
Gith propaganda, and thinly veiled in Drow apologia, to boot! If the gods hadn't meant for brains to be eaten, they wouldn't have made them delicious!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

50/50, they changed their stance on that during development. Presumably no, since WOTC would have known their new race agenda before announcing it, and they worked closely with WOTC. Maybe yes if it was too late to change.

Mindflayer's are scum of the universe. Purge those evil bastards!
Acknowledge this Gith's agenda.

Gyor

Savant

50/50, they changed their stance on that during development. Presumably no, since WOTC would have known their new race agenda before announcing it, and they worked closely with WOTC. Maybe yes if it was too late to change.

Mindflayer's are scum of the universe. Purge those evil bastards!
Acknowledge this Gith's agenda.

You assume that the humaniod races not being evil was started as a reaction to events in 2020, I believe it was actually already in motion, but political events 2020 pushed them to go further on that front then originally intended, but that they were already heading in that general direction.

Look at RA Salvatore's last novel Relentless, look at Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, look at how Eberron deals with humaniods (including how it treats Gnolls), look at how Theros changed Minotaurs (they were beastly before, barely having culture and all of a sudden they got their own city and deep culture), and look at how Larian treats goblins, as people, instead of angry sacks of xp (this shift would have to have been in motion before the race riots to be in the first chapter of the game). This shift in perpective had to have started BEFORE the racist woke Orcs are black people bullshit, it just accessorated and expanded it.

Plus Orcs and Kobolds having negative modifiers was wildly unpopular when Volo's Guide to Monsters came out and Vistani have getting WotC well deserved flack for years now.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
You assume that the humaniod races not being evil was started as a reaction to events in 2020, I believe it was actually already in motion, but political events 2020 pushed them to go further on that front then originally intended, but that they were already heading in that general direction.

Look at RA Salvatore's last novel Relentless, look at Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, look at how Eberron deals with humaniods (including how it treats Gnolls), look at how Theros changed Minotaurs (they were beastly before, barely having culture and all of a sudden they got their own city and deep culture), and look at how Larian treats goblins, as people, instead of angry sacks of xp (this shift would have to have been in motion before the race riots to be in the first chapter of the game). This shift in perpective had to have started BEFORE the racist woke Orcs are black people bullshit, it just accessorated and expanded it.

Plus Orcs and Kobolds having negative modifiers was wildly unpopular when Volo's Guide to Monsters came out and Vistani have getting WotC well deserved flack for years now.

Because Social Justice started yesterday. WotC was always quite progressive in the last few years, the race stuff is 100% reactionary politics.
Also Vistani flak well deserved? Fuck off, they were a cool part off the adventure. Also much better portrayed than 99% of Europe views Gypsies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom