Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance The RPG genre is weak. Very weak. Probably the weakest traditional genre in gaming

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Have you considered just playing strategy games instead of RPGs?

Started that a few weeks ago with X-COM. Already have a write-up to prove it. :obviously:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I know we've had the conversation about "RPG" being a marketing catch-all term that's been abused and for some reason I'm thinking the conversation took place around Brian Fargo.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Lilura you seem deluded by your own bias toward strategy games. Maybe the reason you think strategy games are the strongest genre is because you like them. Not because they're objectively better. Since someone who likes survival horror games, or adventure games is going to be similarly biased toward those sorts of games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The most meaningful interaction with the game world in an RPG happens through combat and exploration. That is where the true genius of game and RPG design lies.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everything except build variety and crafting.
Low effort post by a shit-tier poster. Combat, exploration, world building, build variety, crafting, art, all easily go to Underrail, and I'd argue in favor of Underrail's quest design and characters over Fallout's as well.
Underrail
Your attempt to play through Underrail was sad and filled with mistakes. You have no credibility when it comes to this game, especially when your raging hard on for Fallout is taken into account.
You're a combatfag, and it's a storyfag game. Again, you have no credibility on the matter.

The other games are shit/blobber so say whatever you want about them.
The most meaningful interactions with the game world in an RPG is through combat and exploration. That is where the true genius of game and RPG design lies.
This coming from the same retard that loves FO:NV, Outer Worlds, Skyrim, and god knows what else.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sykar , your retard-spam is embarrassing. You even rated a simple comment about X-COM "retarded".

Your jealousy of me is palpable lol.

ItsChon is a pedigreeless dumbfuck whose first RPG was Skyrim. Not even worth engaging with lol.

Goromorg has been deleted from my blog, too.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Normally I wouldn't bother addressing a post from someone I have on ignore but I was notified that I was being slandered and so I must reply:

1) I loathe Bethesda games and every single person who plays Bethesda games. If I could I would happily choke the life out of them simply for having such bad taste.

2) ItsChon is an SJW who shills Visual Novels like Disco Elysium. He is a literally retarded Armenian who wasn't even smart enough to pass the military exams in his own country.

It is well-documented that my love for RPGs is of the Wizardry and Elminage variety, the dungeon-crawler/blobber with turn-based combat variety, and say what you will about them but they are at the very least miles above the puerile tastes of someone who would grovel in the dirt with propaganda like Disco Elysium; something that has even less gameplay than most Visual Novels and barely qualifies as interactive entertainment.

Pathetic.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The RPG genre is weak because it was allowed (and even forced) to fornicate with inferior genres that eventually took over like an invasive and aggressive mold, instead of allowing it to evolve on its natural path.

It’s the equivalent with evolution creating a wolf and the ”intelligent design” from there on to a pug.

b54af6ce9333c2b0e0f45d9c184c453e.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I do admire her knowledge of the genre's history. She's a proper grognard. :salute:

lol grognard. But yes, I've got 100 times the pedigree of the lousy nimrods that post against me. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say I enjoy peerage, and that those who post against me constitute naught but a rabble. :smug:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The RPG genre is weak because it was allowed (and even forced) to fornicate with inferior genres that eventually took over like an invasive and aggressive mold, instead of allowing it to evolve on its natural path.

Yeah, hybridization killed it. And still does to this day. It's not even a genre anymore, but a collection of gameplay elements that can be grafted onto nearly anything. So Lilura is right, it's a weak genre, if it's even that today.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ItsChon is a pedigreeless dumbfuck whose first RPG was Skyrim. Not even worth engaging with lol.
Yawn. I was literally eleven, keep acting tough. Not my fault your ovaries dried up a decade ago and you're so jaded you have to take it out on the rest of us.
1) I loathe Bethesda games
But you literally fist yourself to the idea of getting to tour the Obsidian office. Polish a turd, still a turd.
2) ItsChon is an SJW
Lolk.

Goromorg

Savant

Yeah, hybridization killed it. And still does to this day. It's not even a genre anymore, but a collection of gameplay elements that can be grafted onto nearly anything. So Lilura is right, it's a weak genre, if it's even that today.
No, komrade. The genre of Role-playing games is strong as ever. Even developers of popamole trash acknowledge that and try to adopt RPG mechanics into their "works" at the first opportunity.

But in their simple-mindedness they started to call their games RPGs too, which creates this illusion that RPG genre as a whole has declined.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
How come rpgs like Underrail or Pathfinder ... both games are reasonably difficult and do not hand hold you like a brain dead mongo plus the story is not heads on pants retarded.

So what you're saying is that Undertale, Poncefinder: Cuckmaker and Divinity: Iggy Bin should be praised because they aren't FULLY retarded? That's stupid, and so are you.

tbqh, nothing more funny than an RPG fan talking about "difficulty". The genre has always been for casuals, with but a few exceptions (e.g, JA2, Silent Storm, ToEE). If we move away from games commonly called RPGs (and why wouldn't we lol), then we gain access to clearly superior games such as X-COM and its monocled derivatives.

Those who play strategy games have always laughed at RPG fans. Now more than ever.
Have you considered just playing strategy games instead of RPGs?

That's what it boils down to isn't it?

Lilura, what do you think of some of my favourite RPG's?.........

Morrowind
Summoner 2
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Final Fantasy 5
Witcher 2

Thal

Augur
I was introduced to crpgs relatively late, after several years of playing other genres. BG1 was love at first sight, because it seemed to bridge the gap between Strategy and Adventure, the two genres that were the most dear to me. The sentiment that crpgs fall short is sometimes justified though, because adventure is often better in adventure games and strategy is better in strategy games. It's inexplicable that combat is often one of the weakest parts of a crpg, even though the game is usually built around it. But still, Deus ex is better than any shooter, and JA2 and Space Rangers 2 (if it counts) are better than almost anything.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
So Lilura, give game by game reasons as to why you think they are shit games.

Morrowind
Summoner 2
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Final Fantasy 5
Witcher 2

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But still, Deus ex is better than any shooter and JA2.

So completely wrong. Go and play ARMA.

As for JA2 vs. DEx, the former is more complex and ambitious than the latter. And yet it's almost perfect in execution, like DEx. But DEx is simpler. Far simpler. It's easier to perfect simplicity than complexity.

I suspect you saying a popamole is better than a tactical squad-based game with a strategic component stems from butthurt that JA2 smashes your precious Baldur's Gate to pieces, from its combat system right down to its "banter."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom