Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Let's play Dungeon Master (1987+) - Dos version!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You sure are going through games at quite a speed. Missed this for a few days and you're already done with Dungeon Master :D
Good job, and cool LP as well :thumbsup:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ah, Chaos Strikes Back! Now we're talking creme de la creme of real time blobbers!

Funny thing is that one time I played it I had almost the same party, only the crocodude instead of Necro.

You sure are going through games at quite a speed. Missed this for a few days and you're already done with Dungeon Master :D
Good job, and cool LP as well :thumbsup:

Hehe, thank you, Strange Fellow 0/
I played only Dungeon Master 1 this few days - and had more time during two days straight, so been "recording" and making screenshots. Dungeon Master 1 is not overly long game by design too, i think.

Ah, Chaos Strikes Back! Now we're talking creme de la creme of real time blobbers!

Funny thing is that one time I played it I had almost the same party, only the crocodude instead of Necro.

Chaos Strikes Back probably is a game that i need to get used for, lol.
I been thinking taking fairy dude or one of lizards in place of Necro - basically anybody making good wizard - ninja hybrid.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played only Dungeon Master 1 this few days - and had more time during two days straight, so been "recording" and making screenshots. Dungeon Master 1 is not overly long game by design too, i think.
True, it's just right. :obviously:

DM remains the only real-time dungeon crawler I've played that I didn't get sick of within a few hours, and the only one I can call good, great even, with no caveats necessary. Based on everything I've read about it Chaos Strikes Back turns everything up to 11.

Last edited:
~Part 2 *: Learning a bit about how to survive
and even prosper in new dungeon.

~~~So far Chaos Strikes Back been pretty harsh in regards to general monster's difficulty and floor design (traps almost everywhere), and also starting player's party without any item in our possession. But at the same time - it is game not meant for new player! It is also very good experience once player actually understands game logic - or lack of game logic, in regards to some elements, i guess. Still learning about some elements, and exploring semi-blindly right now - most in search for better equipment for my casue.
Time to continue from point where i left a game!~~~

~One of the reasons why i do not going to mention floors with numbers for them is *extreme* level of interconnectivity - here is no such thing as single level that you must compelte before proceeding next~

unknown.png

^^^ Cool little scripture telling player to act in very quick manner (death pits going to open just after party grabs items on alcoves), or BTFO to deeper level. Probably i will try this option anyway...

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ ...Neat! If i going to just grab item and immideately run in circle back with said item - everything is alright.

~~Chaos Strikes Back being usual hard-fest also spawned this weird flying eyes monsters en masse~~

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Do not know properties of this bow, but i guess claw bow going to be pretty option as long as i can get arrows for it. Staff of Irra is pretty good staff, and it allow user to cast fireshield, which will come handy almost in every battle, honestly, lol.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ During my last trip to water-skin (extremly useful item) noticed keyhole - and my iron key (grabbed it almost at the beginning) is fitting! At one point (after being send into lower levels and dying to local monsters) been able to find hidden wall with fire bombs, poison bombs, one flask with healing reagent and vorpal blade on top of this.

unknown.png

^^^ Rope allowed Plague to gain one level in ninja skill set, and this is all for now...

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Teleporting force field, it will move me to floor with insectoid creatures and screamers... Nah, let me disable it with yet another key.

unknown.png

^^^ Ohh, here we go! Pretty interesting paths will await me here, but i not sure what these paths can symbolize. Are they elements, class sets - or maybe something completely different?...

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ [Player can choose one of 4 paths, corresponding to one of 4 class sets - by stepping on moving plate as player wishes].
Best path for a starting point is KU Path - or Path of Fighters, in short. Why Path of Fighters is best? Well, it is mostly my guesses - but i want better armor, for sure and fighters (and related monsters) usually equipped the best in regards to armor and physical weapons.

~Noticed small shield directly lying on the floor and iron key on altar, instead of sword. Interesting...~

unknown.png

^^^ Weird looking and very poisonous creatures - Biters - are almost devoid of health pool, so killing them is pretty easy.
...Single empty bottle allowed my party to be completely healed in no time. [It is not advised to go any further into game until party can find at least 1 one empty bottle, from my experience].

unknown.png

^^^ Ehh, armored knights are high priority target at this point - they not only possess demigod levels of AC and high speed, but also can make two *painful* attacks in a quick row.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Hmm, stairs to one level below this point. More interesting is other text: "no fireballs" means that fireballs will go in opposite direction (!) - this also means high probablity of hitting player own party. Probably lightning bolt will work on other hand...

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ In room guarded by 4 armored knights (after slaying everyone) found exceptional axe - executioner - that able to cut thru enemy armor with ease. Also found one more coridor to new part of dungeon...

unknown.png

^^^ Phew, very nice! This is probably a shortcut (with choppable door) allowing me to show middle finger to all annoying traps in my way.

~Mummies, some ginat worms been awaiting me along with...~

unknown.png

^^^ Yes, dragons are still sort of "boss" creatures, but in this dungeons here much more then single dragon in total : >

~12+ minutes passed since i first meet with dragon~

unknown.png

^^^ Fucking beast is dead and it is tedious to kill it (while player can do this without even taking damage) - and probably even not worth it... OHH, actually got a lot of valuable crap!

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Set of armor increasing fire resistance of wielder(s) + solid key + 5 dragon steaks (best food item in game) are nice prizes for killing a beast... Even seems like that this enemy is priority to open other parts of dungeon.

unknown.png

^^^ Slaughtering worms and pocking a dragon in groin have it's own benefits...

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ By pressing two red buttons i opened coridor somewhere else in same floor, but got assaulted by warlocks and gigglers. [War Cry special ability works pretty good, at least in my run of Chaos Strikes Back - enemies can try to retreat and player can strike for couple of hits without retaliation, which is neat].

unknown.png

^^^ Freeze Life ability for minute and half is something that come in handy later in the game - basically i WILL collect every magical box that i stumble upon while exploring.

unknown.png

^^^ This type of doors (magical vault doorways) usually is one that i must *bypass* compeltely - cannot chop this one down, cannot open with keys.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ By chopping my way throught the mummies (they're constantly respawning) got into upper part of KU Path filled with insects.

~Only 5 insectoid horrors here! And also found skeletal keyhole for possible shortcut~

unknown.png

^^^ Reskinned (and much more dangerous) trolls block my way to apper floor... Magic does not work here very reliably and they possess great pool of health.
For some reason morale of these creatures is *very low*, so war cry + constant healing made my way throught the menace.

unknown.png

^^^ Result of shouting at enemies for couple of minutes : >

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Got gold key and access to new stairs after killing... 10 (or maybe even 12) ant-trolls.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ At the end of stairs - at other VI Altar - found Key of B.

~~Time to end this part of Let's Play as i actually managed to find special key that i need in order to progress in Chaos Strikes Back. Right now game is easier, as i understanded some of exploits and how i must approach new enemies with much better equipment this time. During this run i started to use war cry ability much more often - and this pays off!
Also, while game throws much more crap at player - said player can aquire better equipment almost at the start and floors (by their design) contain more chokepoints
~~

~Part 3 *: Solving first "DDD" Puzzle
and getting comfortable with Chaos Strikes Back at last...

~~In this part, i going to provide more of everything, in terms of content and details of dungeon. As i said before - becoming more and more adjusted to this underground complex myself, and finding new tactics to deal out with hordes of critters. I do not think here is really that much food and water in dungeon - or to better say, here is little to no ways of aquiring both easily at the same time.
Let the massacre continue...~~

~In this part i going to complete game on around 1/5 of all main goals combined, so it going to get even faster from now on~

unknown.png

^^^ After dealing with biters and mummie, actually tried to chop this door down - and it been a successful attempt, lol. Probably will need this room for "goodies" inside, so i will take a trip...

unknown.png

^^^ Warlock convetion at it's fullest - casted fireshield from one of my items to not die *too quickly* to their fireballs. We'll see how it's goes...

~Around 6+ minutes passed~

unknown.png

^^^ ...Not sure about how this happened, but enemies basically started to attack each other, probably due to "friendly fire" - and my battle now is slightly easier to war cries as well.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Found some pretty neat items (onyx key is something special, i guess) - and food on top of this, so i will not run out of consumables any time soon.

unknown.png

^^^ Ohh, my goodness - finally! Some champions been losing too much water, and i even been wondering about moving back to starting floors.
Probably it is time to move into different kind of room...

~After one more invisible wall (close to upper floor altar) and defeating two scorpions been closer and closer to *something* where Key of B can be used properly~

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Time for some *really* nasty puzzle, ehh. [DDD = Diabolical Demon Director, and i will use DDD]

unknown.png

^^^ This is stationary enemy type (it been introduced near end of Dungeon Master 1) and either need vorpal blade or DEX EW to destroy this non-corporeal crap.

unknown.png

^^^ This part of dungeon branch also will start to have serpent demons. Not overly different to demons from Dunegon Master 1, but more faster and resistant to "fear".
They have both "claw" attack dealing a ton of damage to single champion - and "fireball" attack dealing less damage to everybody and affected by fireshield.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ The result of massacring bunch of flame pillars and grabbing rare sapphire key afterwards.

unknown.png

^^^ Actually, one of the better ways to end up in place where i need to be (even it means some damage to every party member).

unknown.png

^^^ Mighty guardian of KU Path... Not as dangerous as before, but still very hard hitting and irritating due to inability of party to maneuver.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Doorway to place that i need currently, and i suspect some puzzles behind this vault. [Actually, i need to prepare strenght and dexterity potions for my front-line dudes].

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ OH SHIT, 4 armored knights and me near dead end... Ehh, wall is opened in the last second before Kazai become dead.

unknown.png

^^^ YEAH, HELL YEAH! Stairs at last, so i can escape metal death into other part of dungeon. [For most part puzzles and enemies are very doable, but playing CSB without first playing DM 1 is not very desirable experience].

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ After getting much better weapons and more potion bottles i can *finally* kill dragons much faster by now. And i need some food now : >

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Pretty tedious fights with dragons (here are 3 such beasts), but war cry + executioner axe is legit combo. And got dragon steaks in huge numbers, so hunger is much less of a problem.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Yeah, power(towers) is with me right now... Holding this item in my active hand opens yet another passage to next part of floor.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Next room is probably vault room or room with main quest related relic that i need to destroy in order to complete a game later...
Maybe neither actually, let me save a game and check this out...

~~Ohh, this is pretty irrelevant floor surrounded by pits. But able to found one more water-skin~~

unknown.png

^^^ Along with stone golem here is hell-hound - moderately strong, fire-breathing enemy with high speed allowing this critter to basically chase me all the way down to stairs : >

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ After dispatching both threats party stumbled upon a metal door and golden force field. Probably this is path-way to final area holding FULYA pit, but it is too early for me to go in here.

unknown.png

^^^ This is one of 4 corbum's i need in order to finish a game. Pretty awesome!

~I will not go in final area until i have ALL corbum's to dispose every single one of them at once~

unknown.png

^^^ By dropping in one of the pits, returned to a starting point, so here is both point to regroup and end this part of Let's Play...

~~Later parts going to consist mostly of two connected goals: finding 3 other corbums and destroying them in final location of Chaos Strikes Back. Next target... is probably a ninja level, because why not exploring something close to fighter skill set? Other then this, Dungeon Master 1 had very different pacing - while it is easier game by comparrison, it is also one more limiting player in aquiring powerful gear early on and requires player to explore a lot.
Chaos Strikes Back even more focused on fighting, which is welcome by me
~~

~Part 4 *: ROS - Path of Ninja's being (almost)
completed and relevant corbum retreived...

~~By getting first corbum and returning to a starting point i can gather some water from fountain (getting slightly low on liquid supplies) and getting into "junction of the ways" one more time. This time it can get more tricky due to different layout, but i'm more prepared as well.
Actually, hope to get some ammunition for my bow and better armor~~

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ ROS Path scribing and corresponding altar of VI are first things that player going to see after either teleporter or failing down the pit. [Each altar have some unique item(s) on it, related to path - fighter path altar have sword, ninja's get poison darts, etc].

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Probably it is bad idea to pull a lever without investigating area beforehand... And feck, here also two pot-holes shooting daggers (!) at my back.

unknown.png

^^^ Constantly moving teleporter cell is something that i probably need to avoid... Ohh, daggers thrown exactly at pressure plate (after teleporter is moved) CAN close pits, but i need some time with this puzzle, mostly because of constantly shifting teleporters.

unknown.png

^^^ One plate is closed down, time for second pressure point... [If player will fail to throw dagger correctly player will be teleported to beginning with more daggers hitting party in the back].

unknown.png

^^^ Actually, here are two more pressure points - and here is reward.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Closed door with two armored knights and some rock-monsters opened, but i think Cloak of Night boosting dexterity is totally worth it.

unknown.png

^^^ Been forced to resurrect one of champions due to unlucky attacks of my fighters and very *lucky* attacks of opponents, conversly : [

~After all 6 (!) knights and some rock piles been destroyed and healing afterwards moved my champs one floor below~

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Two doors blocking my way - one of them can be opened with onyx key, and i have one such key right now...

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ For some reason this mummies can survive after two high powered fire-balls. As for treasure chest - got bunch of magical boxes.

unknown.png

^^^ Another puzzle sequence with teleporter and pressure plate behind (!) iron gate. Got pair of stairs leading away from this place.
Upper floor containes hidden room that can be accessed by removing torch from wall.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ It can be accessed from other point in the dungeon, i guess, so i need to move in other direction.
...One more key, fireball trap, and lever opening teleporter allowing to hit enemies with said fire-balls - Chaos Strikes Back usual package, lol

unknown.png

^^^ Adjacent room *had* 3 giant scorpions - and now i have free coridor to explore.

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ This door also need to be opened from other side - more scorpions, one more chest and teleporters. [Unrelated note, but dexterity potions are much better then i been given them a credit due to both higher chance to hit in combat and defense rating bonuses].

unknown.png
unknown.png

^^^ Feck, almost died to three fire-balls in row even with fire-shield... Previous door now is opened, so i can safely rest and heal-up.

unknown.png

^^^ Arrggghhh, floor full of invisible walls and couple of dragons sitting in corners and i probably need to locate couple of quest related items...

~After 10+ minutes passed been able to grab key and avoid dragons, but dragon staying in front of key been freaking me out for some time~

unknown.png

^^^ Here we go! Time to pass one more DDD~ test and retreive next corbum...

~~Really sorry for this convo, but it seems like i got stuck in puzzle requiring monster to stend on pressure plate in my way to next corbum and it seems to be *solution*, but said solution will involve a lot of tedium - so i will continue Chaos Strikes Back later on at some point, and i will make a small break out of CRPG's and blobbers. Maybe will finish Chaos Strikes Back in future...
If anybody have suggestions for games you want to be played and "recorded" by me - type it here and i will provide!
Cheers 0/~~

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
~~Really sorry for this convo, but it seems like i got stuck in puzzle requiring monster to stend on pressure plate in my way to next corbum and it seems to be *solution*, but said solution will involve a lot of tedium -

Hmm...use a horn to scare a zombie into cell, close door, repat 3-5 times. Or am I thinking of the wrong puzzle?

Hmm...use a horn to scare a zombie into cell, close door, repat 3-5 times. Or am I thinking of the wrong puzzle?

Different puzzle. My puzzle requires enemy stending on pressure plate close to scripture "fighter's charge" - so i can backstep and place stone to open my way to next hallway.

Problem is with two death pits (!) adjacent to plate preventing from both demons coming from one way [to the right] and preventing me from luring demons from other way as how i want. :negative:
Not sure if here is way to bypass this without using pressure plate - or close one of the pits...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I remember the words "fighters charge", but I don't remember the details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom