Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1.5: Resurrection - fanmade Fallout game by Czechs

Wunderbar

Arcane
Morii you can't. Resurrection's maps were made that way.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
How can i get rid of these black edges in maps?
gUhBG35.png

Play Fallout in the resolution it was intended to be played at.

Black Angel

Arcane
Play Fallout in the resolution it was intended to be played at.
Unfortunately, I'm used to playing fallout in high resolution:(
I play in 800x600. Best choice
You plebs need to listen to gramps agris and play it The Way It Meant To Be™
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ut-game-by-czechs.109858/page-11#post-4650361
I agree with what @epeli said, except instead of setting the game to 2x scaler, set it to 960x540. That will keep the font from looking fucked up because its a perfect 1:4 pixel mapping onto 1920x1080. You won't split the rendering of the low resolution font and graphics onto anisotropic subpixels, which is what makes low resolution games scaled to high look both blurry and sharp at the same time.

To be clear, in draw.ini set graphics mode to 4 or 5 (5 and playing with borderless gaming is superior for multi monitor users IMO, mouse is still trapped in window until you alt-tab), the resolution to your desktop's native 1920x1080, and GPUBlt=1. That's it for ddraw.

In f2_res.ini, set graphics_mode=0 which passes along game window resolution control to ddraw. Put scale_2x=0, and set the screen resolution to 960 and 540 (600 for :obviously: 16:10 owners). For fullscreen colors, set it to 8, and all the other graphics options are the same. Windowed does not need to be set to 1 in the subsequent options if you're using dx9 windowed mode, ddraw will handle that.

edit: for reference, this is how those settings make the game look:

OBASfmy.jpg

Qk8GdFO.jpg
edit2: This works exactly the same way for Fallout 2, FYI. For Fallout 1, you have to use a much older version of sfall, Crafty's 1.7.6 and I don't believe rendering in a window works - you have to run it fullscreen 960x540/600. That means adding the resolution to your display driver. This is easy on nvidia, harder on amd, either way: google it.
Rathole is basically The Den,
The Den doesn't have an all-out turf war between two opposing faction, and doesn't end with the winning faction turning to raiders who razed literally another settlement which ending slide affected by it.

Sedit is The Hub,
It's too obvious with Crimson Caravan, but the powerplay between the merchants, the criminals, and the authority is much more nuanced and expanded in Sedit. You even get to take the weaker merchant groups to accomplish their biggest run yet and help dealing with any problems before and along the way.

Corath is Redding,
Again, the powerplay between the factions is much more nuanced and expanded, albeit at the expense of player agency because the narrative is tied to one another in such a way that helping one side locked you out of the other side completely. In Redding, you just give the excavator chip to one of the two mine owners, or give the VC doc the cure to jet, and that's it. Here, you have to deal with... what, whistleblower? I forgot what the guy in jail did to be where he is; deal with a worker's strike, duke it out in The Ring (where you get a whole other opportunity to deal with the super mutant if you're fighting him, or hire another guy to fight in the ring for you), then finally deal with the loser once and for all.

Albuquerque is Vault-City, etc.
Does Vault-City has tribals, refugees, a hospital, and a group of mutant hunters, with their own quests and storylines?

Quests aren't as intricate as in Nevada, a lot of them can only be solved by killing a lot of people and we all know that Fo1-2 combat isn't all that great especially during mass shootouts.
Yeah, this is the one weakness Resurrection has. But thinking deeply about it, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Nevada might have spoiled Fallout in general for me, but Resurrection has its own charms.

Thankfully there are parts that Resurrection does better than both originals and Nevada. First of all - companions. Companions are pretty cool - they are better than ones in Fo 1-2, and design-wise reminiscent of Bioware and Obsidian party members, complete with quest-specific commentaries, random banter and personal quests. Power progression and difficulty curve is way better than in Nevada - the game isn't stingy and gives you plenty of useful stuff gradually as you explore the game.

It's not really a high bar to clear, but due to its scope Resurrection's main narrative handled better than in Nevada. Both games start with amnesia as a plot device, but in Resurrection your character gets to actually uncover his past during the main quest. Resurrection's main antagonist is pretty lame, but at least he and his faction have a presence in the game world, while Nevada's Collector of souls is just some guy no one gives a shit about.
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6e544a4b41714d6e754f36654c673d3d2d31332e313564353761373166633230646261303339383132363832373136362e676966

overly excitable young man

It gets good once you reach the first town.
The village is just like Arroyo in that its bland and boring.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
It gets good once you reach the first town.
The village is just like Arroyo in that its bland and boring.

the early game towns is where i usually lose interest for some reason. i'll try to get through them and see if it gets better. i feel like nevada is paced and presented better personally

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
i feel like nevada is paced and presented better personally
Nevada utilizes skills better than vanilla, and early game has a lot of quests when you need those skills and can't have all of them, so you have to be creative. After Vegas you would be swimming in skills (on normal even earlier) so game loses its challenge a lot.

Resurrection, though, follows the vanilla spirit closely, with standard set at work and combat skills being the most important. Not to say that Nevada has less combat and equipment based progression is less pronounced; Resurrection requires best gear to progress.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Completed this.

Liked the walking and talking, though sometimes the talking went too long in a particular node, especially in the final area. Should have broken them up with some [Continue]s. There were also some poorly translated lines and ERROR dialogue choices.

Didn't like the combat at all. Full of numerous damage sponges. There are difficult fights straight after long cutscenes that you have to go through every time you reload. The power armor-wearing ghoul patrols around the final area are the height of absurdity. I wouldn't have bothered except I wanted the good ending slides (though I ended up skipping out on rescuing the prisoners since there didn't appear to be a way to do so without aggro'ing the entire complex; even tried to be sneaky by dropping dynamite with a long countdown by the generators and leaving, but nope).

Liked it well enough for one playthrough, but I won't be revisiting.

ironmask

Arbiter
You basically summed up all my problems with the game. This game would be better if it wasn't so absurdly difficult.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This game would be better if it wasn't so absurdly difficult.
The power armor-wearing ghoul patrols around the final area are the height of absurdity.
- stealth is still super OP. How about wasting heavy ghoul patrol while receiving only one (!) hit - and this is the unavoidable first one?
Due to nerfed DT/DR of armours and buffed enemies - invest in stealth. Or suffer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Due to nerfed DT/DR of armours and buffed enemies - invest in stealth. Or suffer.

The combat that annoyed me was completely optional, I just wanted to do it to to get the good ending slides. As for the ghoul patrols, I guess I could have bought a bunch of outdoorsman books to avoid those encounters, but instead I just save scummed to the base one map square at a time. The idea that this particular group of ghouls would have so many suits of power armor to spare was still absurd though.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
The idea that this particular group of ghouls would have so many suits of power armor to spare was still absurd though.
Absolutely. How many pre-war intact storages they had to discover to have so many suits? Not to say that Mutant Hunters also have them. Resurrection devalues the Power Armour, with it being quite common and having less protective qualities.

Eastwood

Educated
After finally having finished Nevada, I'm gonna try out this mod next.
I was thinking about doing a Big Guns build, as I've never done that before. Is that viable in this game, or is combat too difficult for that?
Thought about tagging Big guns and Melee or Unarmed, in order to manage the early game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
After finally having finished Nevada, I'm gonna try out this mod next.
I was thinking about doing a Big Guns build, as I've never done that before. Is that viable in this game, or is combat too difficult for that?
Thought about tagging Big guns and Melee or Unarmed, in order to manage the early game.
Anything can work, just don't forget to pump strength for big guns. You'll probably get access to big guns only about mid game, though, so that may dissuade you.
Want to play with melee/unarmed for half the game? I guess it could work if you go for the eyes or the head every time. Also, powerful melee weapons are only found late game.
There's an area where you'll need to either save scam mid combat or have decent thrown weapons, so consider that.

Eastwood

Educated
I guess it could work if you go for the eyes or the head every time.
Thanks for the advice!
Thought about taking fast shot, as you can't aim with big guns. Does this prevent me from taking aimed attacks with melee weapons?
And is there a boxing ring in the game? Because then I might go Unarmed instead of Melee.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Thought about taking fast shot, as you can't aim with big guns. Does this prevent me from taking aimed attacks with melee weapons?
In stock Fallout, yes. In this one - not guaranteed, they changed a lot of stuff, so maybe create a build and check it out. Or just read the descriptions, they're accurate.

And is there a boxing ring in the game?
Yeah, but I didn't try it, so while it looked like you can participate, I'm not 100% sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom