Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Video Game Corporate War: Epic Games vs Apple and Google

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I dont see them getting ahead, pretty much anyone with money in US owns Apple shares, be it personal or via fund.
You can lobby Jesus itself with Apple money so the lawsuit is gonna be thrown into the trash.

Microsoft was king of tech when they were facing an antitrust nightmare they had to dramatically change plans to avoid. Not saying the US government isn't corrupt, or that Apple isn't a media darling, but I do think you reach a point where you can't stop people paying attention anymore.

abija

Prophet
Antitrust nightmare my ass... they just lacked vision at a critical point. Their monopoly is way worse now than it was during that time but they got a lot better at avoiding attention and greasing the right hands. Big part of their empire is built on shoddiest style of deals with governments.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Antitrust nightmare my ass... they just lacked vision at a critical point. Their monopoly is way worse now than it was during that time but they got a lot better at avoiding attention and greasing the right hands. Big part of their empire is built on shoddiest style of deals with governments.

They should grease the hands that make them not complete failures at browsers, search engines, phones, gaming consoles, PC gaming stores and almost everything else they touch outside of the core Windows experience.

Drakron

Arcane
Keep in mind Sony does the same in relation to the PlayStation, MS with XBox and Google in relation to Google Store ... all take 30% out of microtransactions and they have to go over their system. Valve also takes a cut when they are the payment processor but they dont require microtransations to go over their payment system.

Also lets not talk about Epic buying spree ...

abija

Prophet
They should grease the hands that make them not complete failures at browsers, search engines, phones, gaming consoles, PC gaming stores and almost everything else they touch outside of the core Windows experience.
Wow such insight, "They should be better". DUH.
You just said everything they made for a while has been shit yet they rack in tons of money and are doing better than ever. Think about that. It's obviously way easier to abuse your position and "legally" steal than to be better...

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Can't believe I lived long enough to see corporate warfare in the digital age and instead of some cyberpunk cool shit we have zoomer streamers dabbing on consoomers who take pride in overpaying for their devices and products

cosmicray

Savant
Keep in mind Sony does the same in relation to the PlayStation, MS with XBox and Google in relation to Google Store ... all take 30% out of microtransactions and they have to go over their system. Valve also takes a cut when they are the payment processor but they dont require microtransations to go over their payment system.
Valve doesn't? Wasn't that EA exodus years ago solely because of that? Also, Valve blocked itch.io to have its application on Steam probably also because of that.

Wunderbar

Arcane
If Epic wins, US government will declare Apple a monopoly and will them to allow installing other stores on iphones, including Epic's chinese spyware.

Drakron

Arcane
Can't believe I lived long enough to see corporate warfare in the digital age and instead of some cyberpunk cool shit we have zoomer streamers dabbing on consoomers who take pride in overpaying for their devices and products
And no flying cars or sexbots (not so sure about the last one).
Future sucks.

Drakron

Arcane
Valve doesn't? Wasn't that EA exodus years ago solely because of that? Also, Valve blocked itch.io to have its application on Steam probably also because of that.

Nay, I play STO and I could always buy currency directly from PW website and the same with warships were I can just buy directly from Wargaming, pretty sure its the same with UbiSoft titles as well but I would have to play then.

As for itch.io, I cannot find anything about that besides apparently screeching over Valve open door policy in regards to content by its founder.

cosmicray

Savant
Nay, I play STO and I could always buy currency directly from PW website and the same with warships were I can just buy directly from Wargaming, pretty sure its the same with UbiSoft titles as well but I would have to play then.
Interesting. I though you could buy on PSN, Live etc. via developer/publisher as long as you don't do it in-game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You just said everything they made for a while has been shit yet they rack in tons of money and are doing better than ever. Think about that. It's obviously way easier to abuse your position and "legally" steal than to be better...

Their success isn't a mystery dude, they invested heavily into easy to use business software forever ago and more recently invested heavily into cloud computing and services. They predicted the market pretty well and were rewarded. I'm sure they have the power to influence some regulations and whatnot, but obviously they still can't get whatever they want. If they could they'd use their Windows leverage to succeed in areas they have not, like browsers. "Only one browser works with Windows now, and that's Edge." Do you seem them doing that? I don't. There are limits to their power.

Silly Germans

Has Epic ever made a statement about their future development plans, once their main source of income Fortnite runs dry ?

Not directly, but I would guess the expansion of EGS is their long term resiliency plan.
That was my first thought too, but i find it strange that they would push for lower rates if they really intend that too be their main income source. I am not too informed on these topics, but Epic takes 10% or 12% or something while the "standard" is 30 % ? Shouldn't they be preparing for a raise of their percentage if they want their shop as main income source ? Will this current public relations stunt pay off in the long run ? I hoped that a statement from Epic about their future would have shed some light on these matters. Or has the Epic store some "hidden" costs like a higher share on micro transactions or something like that ?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has Epic ever made a statement about their future development plans, once their main source of income Fortnite runs dry ?

Not directly, but I would guess the expansion of EGS is their long term resiliency plan.
That was my first thought too, but i find it strange that they would push for lower rates if they really intend that too be their main income source. I am not too informed on these topics, but Epic takes 10% or 12% or something while the "standard" is 30 % ? Shouldn't they be preparing for a raise of their percentage if they want their shop as main income source ? Will this current public relations stunt pay off in the long run ? I hoped that a statement from Epic about their future would have shed some light on these matters. Or has the Epic store some "hidden" costs like a higher share on micro transactions or something like that ?

I have little doubt they'll raise their take once they feel they can. The lower cut is just to reel devs and publishers in.

mk0

Learned
Epic's legal papers reference that the standard rate for handling transactions through a service such as PayPal is only 3%.

imMUiHa.png

They probably already are profitable with their 12% rate, that should be a good indication as to how much room for competition there really is in the digital storefront market.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You guys talk about how arrogant and up his own ass Sweeny is, and that should make you realize he sees himself as the good guy crusader here. I doubt he raises the 12% Epic takes, for the same reason he sacrificed iOS and made a commercial about 198-fucking-4. He sees himself as a hero here, saving the world from Apple and Valve's horrible practices.

Codex Year of the Donut
Epic's legal papers reference that the standard rate for handling transactions through a service such as PayPal is only 3%.

imMUiHa.png

They probably already are profitable with their 12% rate, that should be a good indication as to how much room for competition there really is in the digital storefront market.
digital storefronts are not the same thing as a payment processor

No offense to anyone here, but yeah, businesses cost money to run and being the middleman is best man. None of this shit runs on unicorn farts.

Citizen

A shopping cart? That's so 2000, grandpa. Get with the times, nobody does anything other than impulse shopping anymore.

Shopping cart is pro-impulse shopping tho. Imagine two cases:

A - you're drunk browsing a steam store page in the middle of the big summer sale, click "add to cart" on whatever popamole trash caughts your eyes (tommorow you'll realise you're never gonna play it, but not tonight). Few clicks away - BOOM 70$ gone
B - you're drunk browsing EGS store page, instabuy some shit game you'll never ever download, your phone rings with a "Lol say goodbye to 20$" message from your bank, making you immediately close the store tab before wasting more hard-earned dough on some retarded indie bullshit and descent into dark thoughts about how buying useless new things doesn't make you happy anymore

passerby

Arcane

Digital storefronts are not the same thing as a payment processor

I think, I recall Tim claiming somewhere that they estimate combined cost of running EGS and payment processing fees of mainstream services like paypal, stripe, credit cards, etc. at ~7%, which would make them 5% profit at 12% rate.

This is why EGS charges you part of payment processing fee, if you use some exotic service that charges more than 5%.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom