Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thoughts on Battlespire

Luzur

Good Sir
It's so funny how older Beth games had tons of nudity yet these days Beth won't even show a pair of tits, let alone allow you to have actual sex.
M rating means shit these days.

You kidding, the lore had sex cults and shit once upon a time. Cyrodiil had all kinds of crazy groups infesting their jungle capital.

Now it's temperate forests and the occasional generic chapel. *Sigh*

New Dev team, i guess.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So for the first time since I got my new PC I decided to finally install Battlespire and try it again. With all this new CPU power it should run at a glorious framerate and be silky smooth all the way through, perfect for a replay!

Nope, still runs like shit, choppy as hell. I'm pretty sure I used to get DOSBox to 300k or so cycles before it started chocking, now I can barely go above 150k before it collapses on itself.

Goddamnit.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Where did I claim that bugs are part of the experience?

my point was that all Bethesda games are buggy as fuck.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Do you think that view distance in Silent Hill is also bad?

Yeah, it was terribad, but they made that a "feature" of the game. Are you claiming shit draw distance is a feature of Battlespire?

:lol:

Its been three months, why the fuck do you even care anymore?

Also couldnt you write some kind of long rant or something, I mean after all that time passed you would expect some creativity.

I know, how about you try again but this time with some effort, that way I can actually pretend that Im not wasting my time arguing with you.

If its possible try make it in less then 6 months.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I know, how about you try again but this time with some effort, that way I can actually pretend that Im not wasting my time arguing with you.

There's nothing to argue about. You clearly like the game, and what was I supposed to write, that your opinion is wrong? It's like, your opinion, man.

Everything I disliked about the game, you viewed as either a good thing or "typical Bethesda". Fighting, I think is shit, you like it. Level design is tired early 90s 3D, you like it. Items and UI is unfocused and tedious, you like it. Game is buggy, you think that's "typical Bethesda", and so on and so forth.

Battlespire is not a great game, it's not terrible, it's thoroughly mediocre. Hardly a controversial opinion quarter of a century after the game was released, one would think. Hardly controversial even at the time of release.

It doesn't run well and is buggy, but not for you. Just other people.
:greatjob:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

There's nothing to argue about. You clearly like the game, and what was I supposed to write, that your opinion is wrong? It's like, your opinion, man.

Everything I disliked about the game, you viewed as either a good thing or "typical Bethesda". Fighting, I think is shit, you like it. Level design is tired early 90s 3D, you like it. Items and UI is unfocused and tedious, you like it. Game is buggy, you think that's "typical Bethesda", and so on and so forth.

Battlespire is not a great game, it's not terrible, it's thoroughly mediocre. Hardly a controversial opinion quarter of a century after the game was released, one would think. Hardly controversial even at the time of release.

It doesn't run well and is buggy, but not for you. Just other people.
:greatjob:

Well I hope you made your peace, I honestly cant imagine why would anyone, after three months, still care about a random internet argument.

So maybe I was too subtle, lets try this again in the most polite way possible.

I dont give a fuck.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I was fairly hooked on the game shortly after the release, but haven't played it in at least 15 years. Remember enjoying the story and setting very well. The most memorable things to me are the two character names Imago Storm and Sirran Angada, since I used those for various other RPG characters, especially in Might & Magic. Even used Imago as my IRC handle for several years.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
So for the first time since I got my new PC I decided to finally install Battlespire and try it again. With all this new CPU power it should run at a glorious framerate and be silky smooth all the way through, perfect for a replay!

Nope, still runs like shit, choppy as hell. I'm pretty sure I used to get DOSBox to 300k or so cycles before it started chocking, now I can barely go above 150k before it collapses on itself.

Goddamnit.
Took me a while but I finally managed to get the game to run properly. Now it's on max screen size, high quality, runs silky smooth. Told myself I'd play a couple of minutes "juts to check it's all good", half an hour later I called it quits after getting slaughtered by daedra.

I love this game :love:

Also got Daggerfall to run perfectly, but that one was never that hard. Let's see if I can get Redguard to also run at good speed...

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Had a very similar experience to Sceptic after trying to get the game free and it never working I got it on GOG. Damn fine game for a FP RT dungeon crawler with a really cool concept for character creation.

You kidding, the lore had sex cults and shit once upon a time.

Well, there's the temple of Dibella in Markarth where the priestesses spend time in communion with Dibella ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) , and you bring them a...teen girl? (being generous) to join their ranks, which can't be good. The slut in Riften suggests you honor Dibella with lots of fucking. But nothing onscreen. :M

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Had a very similar experience to Sceptic after trying to get the game free and it never working I got it on GOG. Damn fine game for a FP RT dungeon crawler with a really cool concept for character creation.
You're like a younger version of me :love:

Do you mind posting or PMing me the dosbox.conf that came with the GOG version of Battlespires? I'm curious to see what it looks like compared to my own custom conf. And if you or anyone else has the one for GOG Redguard that would be greatly appreciated too, it might make it easier to find the best settings for that game.

Erikkolai

Learned
Haven't touched this in 20 year, doing a replay now. Creating a Breton Battlemage (custom of course).

I suspect that I'm stuck with the spells I select on character creation. Do you know I can find (or train) any new spells later?

These are the ones I intend to go with so far:
  • Cause Damage
  • Cont. Damage
  • Shield
  • Resistance
  • Cure Health
  • Cure Poison
  • Dispel Magic
  • Teleport
  • Slow Fall
Btw. I like how Cause Damage can be modded into basically any kind of attack spell (touch, ranged, fire/cold/shock, etc.) at any time, reminds me of the Spell Maker system in Daggerfall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom