Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prelude To Darkness - v1.7 & v1.8 Download Link (Mediafire)

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Some says it crashes less, but I got to a point where I had to make the switch because a broken script wasn't allowing me to advance the story (savegames are compatible so no issue there). Turns out I actually fared better with 1.8. Might depend on your OS tho, I played on win10.
But in the end, it doesn't even matter, game's gonna ctd anyway.

v1rus didn't time it, but I believe it must be around 20h or so.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
It's too bad there isn't some brilliant autistic modder out there to clean this game up.

vazha

Arcane
It's a party based rpg, there is no one build that trumps all others. Martial chars are surprisingly potent and not underpowered as in D n D. You ll probably need one jack of all trades for various skill checks.

PrettyDeadman

It's a party based rpg, there is no one build that trumps all others. Martial chars are surprisingly potent and not underpowered as in D n D. You ll probably need one jack of all trades for various skill checks.
I heard that its impossible to pass skill checks for skills other than lore and literacy due to their extremely high level.

Sloul

Savant
From what I remember archers.
If I remember correctly, fire magic is way better than water magic. There was one buff that would enhance both your chance to hit and damage, and it worked wonders on archers.
There was another build for dagger, with very high damage & crit, but you had to go melee which was dangerous.

PrettyDeadman

From what I remember archers.
If I remember correctly, fire magic is way better than water magic. There was one buff that would enhance both your chance to hit and damage, and it worked wonders on archers.
There was another build for dagger, with very high damage & crit, but you had to go melee which was dangerous.
I heard that archers are pretty bad bacause there are no ranged ammunition (at least special one). And that there are practically zero magic weapons except for daggers which you get as every other reward for doing quests.

vazha

Arcane
No no no, everything is perfectly possible, provided you find trainers and do their quests and dont attempt to pass skill checks that are designed "for later". Seconding on fire magic being vastly superior to white magic, HOWEVER, you will need the later for healing too, just dont run a specialized healer that cant do anything else. Also it has one of the most fun turn based combats I ve ever played so how about you just delve in relative bling and learn for yourself? I promise it's going to be fun. Well, besides bugs, obviously. Hopefully you are informed about that.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Took Fowyr's events.txt and people.txt and applied my changes to display skillchecks during dialogues and events in the game.
You can download it here -> https://gofile.io/d/L4vCi0

You will need to delete events.bin in order to events.txt to compile and changes inside it to take effect.

vazha

Arcane
Is it the final version or do you plan some other adjustments too? I am eager to replay it but can wait for the ultimate version.
p.s. How are you dinging the game itself?

PrettyDeadman

Is it the final version or do you plan some other adjustments too? I am eager to replay it but can wait for the ultimate version.
p.s. How are you dinging the game itself?
So far its the final version.
I am using Ida Pro + Hex Rays to disassembler & decompile the game and x32dbg to debug the game. It goes relatively well considering I have no prior experience doing something like that, since there is a lot of strings which indicate what the subroutines are supposed to do. The main problem is the inability to properly debug the game which makes digging in assembly code rather useless by itself. The game crashes/freezes your system when the game window loses focus. It is likely cause by how the game handles windows messages (which includes message of losing focus, mouse moving out of game window and etc). I will have to try to fix it first before doing further digging. I will try to inject the code using the same methods trainers/cheats insert their code, which is relatively well documented (on guidedhacking and etc) and take a look if I can fix it.

vazha

Arcane
You're the best thing that has happened to this game and thread for a long long time. Thanks for what you're doing chum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom