Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Vatnik Wumao
And once you knew the different events and decisions to get or remove particular traits
Once you knew? :lol: Dude, it literally tells you what'll happen when you hover over the option. There is no learning period where you memorize events, they just straight up tell you. "Do you want bravery, or cowardice?" the event asks. Gee, I don't know, such a hard choice :lol:
It extends beyond that. You knew exactly which societies to join and which lifestyle to pick as well.

Vatnik Wumao
If it wasn't for cyberpunk, ck3 would probably be my pick for RPG of the year for 2020. I don't agree with treating this as a grand strategy game, I see it as a clear RPG.
I unironically do too. Just as Spellforce is an RTS&RPG hybrid, this is a GS&RPG hybrid. Although I think that most 'dexers will take issue with calling it an RPG since the PC is detached from the combat system (aside from a few modifiers from having him as a commander and what not).

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
If it wasn't for cyberpunk, ck3 would probably be my pick for RPG of the year for 2020. I don't agree with treating this as a grand strategy game, I see it as a clear RPG.
I unironically do too. Just as Spellforce is an RTS&RPG hybrid, this is a GS&RPG hybrid. Although I think that most 'dexers will take issue with calling it an RPG since the PC is detached from the combat system (aside from a few modifiers from having him as a commander and what not).
CK2 is only an RPG if you play it like an RPG (taking actions that are consistent with your ruler's traits, ie. LARPing), but there's nothing that forces you to do this.
Of course that's no different than if you powergame RPGs in a way where your character acts schizophrenic, like you complete all the quests in Arcanum but then kill all the questgivers to loot their bodies.
Your ruler in CK might be detached from combat somewhat, but they're not detached from gameplay since there's more to the gameplay than just combat.

But they went from demesne to domain. I don't like it. SHIT GARBAGE DUMBED DOWN POPAMOLE GAME

:mob:

I agree. It's a hugely positive change.

For larpers.
But there's nothing else in the game to do other than LARP

Painting the map. And watching your little retinue numbers go up.
Their other games are better map painters, though. None of their other games let you expand your kingdom when you get a kickass king, then immediately collapse into civil war when you get a fat incestuous slob for an heir and play him as such. And rape dungeons, none of their other games handle rape dungeons as well. Crusader Kings is Paradox's only game where you're supposed to play it one-handed.

mondblut

Arcane
Their other games are better map painters, though.

True, but their other games aren't set in the middle ages, and trading knights and vikings for toy armies in retarded uniforms is a sour deal in my book.

And rape dungeons, none of their other games handle rape dungeons as well. Crusader Kings is Paradox's only game where you're supposed to play it one-handed.

How come nobody is yet screeching that you can literally rape other player's loved ones (or other players themselves if they have female rulers) in CK2? Twitter, do your thing!

True, but their other games aren't set in the middle ages, and trading knights and vikings for toy armies in retarded uniforms is a sour deal in my book.
Fair point, though maybe CK3 will work as a map painter if you make your heirs militaristic. Or alternating conquerors and builders. Plus we aren't sure yet how important stress will even be, so it might just be a slap on the wrist and you can ignore it.

How come nobody is yet screeching that you can literally rape other player's loved ones (or other players themselves if they have female rulers) in CK2? Twitter, do your thing!
Gotta play grand strategy to see that, and even if CK2's forgiving, it's more effort than a lot of people want to spend to have fully populated rape dungeons. Not even sure if CK3 will have them since I don't even know who's playable out of the box on CK3's launch anyway.

Can you rape males in CK2 if you have the homosexual trait? I have never thought of that.
I don't think so, but I haven't been playing much CK2 in recent years so they might've changed it. Last I knew of the rape dungeons you had to force the prisoner to become a concubine, and you couldn't have same sex concubines presumably on the grounds that your courtiers would frown upon you having The Gay. Although since you can be a rampant torturer it's a bit surprising they don't let you take same sex sex slaves and just take a vassal opinion/prestige penalty for it. Either leading to rebellion for your sinful ways, or everyone grumbling about the king's proclivities but ignoring it because he keeps the medieval trains running on time.

Vatnik Wumao
Last I knew of the rape dungeons you had to force the prisoner to become a concubine, and you couldn't have same sex concubines presumably on the grounds that your courtiers would frown upon you having The Gay. Although since you can be a rampant torturer it's a bit surprising they don't let you take same sex sex slaves and just take a vassal opinion/prestige penalty for it. Either leading to rebellion for your sinful ways, or everyone grumbling about the king's proclivities but ignoring it because he keeps the medieval trains running on time.
Now you'll be able to since you can normalize homosexuality through heresy creation (ergo being able to take male concubines). :obviously:

Last I knew of the rape dungeons you had to force the prisoner to become a concubine, and you couldn't have same sex concubines presumably on the grounds that your courtiers would frown upon you having The Gay. Although since you can be a rampant torturer it's a bit surprising they don't let you take same sex sex slaves and just take a vassal opinion/prestige penalty for it. Either leading to rebellion for your sinful ways, or everyone grumbling about the king's proclivities but ignoring it because he keeps the medieval trains running on time.
Now you'll be able to since you can normalize homosexuality through heresy creation (ergo being able to take male concubines). :obviously:
images

Vatnik Wumao
I usually just went for the alliance factor, having gavelkind for the greater demense limit and becoming celibate after the first son is born through the decision available for Christian religious society members. That being said...
Wait, am I the only one who liked to seek out women with good congenital traits to use them as breeders?
Yeah, in some playthroughs (e.g. Norse, Norman, Baltic). That good congenital trait being... giant. :obviously:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
it's more effort than a lot of people want to spend to have fully populated rape dungeons.

Wait, am I the only one who liked to seek out women with good congenital traits to use them as breeders? Bonus if they were dark-skinned cuties, those were singled out. One of my favorite strategies was to swear myself to Satan for easy kidnapping of qt genius waifus. Being Zoroastrian was especially great in this aspect, genius incest waifus ftw.

I do that too when I'm playing a raiding culture, sure.

In the name of creating a super-intelligence, even Satan is fair game.

The most successful breeding program I ever had was thanks to Satan, I got a Demon Child Queen of Asturias. Demon Child gets Strong and Genius (heritable like normal), so I ended up with 1 Strong+Genius, 2 Genius, and 2 Strong kids (of my total 11 or 12 kids). I set them all up with land from my successful Reconquista, which gave me a bunch of initially troublesome vassals, who created good marriage prospects that didn't tank my prestige after a couple generations.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Gotta play grand strategy to see that, and even if CK2's forgiving, it's more effort than a lot of people want to spend to have fully populated rape dungeons. Not even sure if CK3 will have them since I don't even know who's playable out of the box on CK3's launch anyway.

I think that's the point. The cheeky Swedes hid the otherwise controversial content under the layers of DLCs and forcing the player to work for it. Your run of the mill reviewer or youtube critic won't ever see this at work.

oscar

Arcane
Only a handful of states in this era had anything resembling a standing fleet. And given how Paradox AI struggles (and therefore cheats like mad) with naval combat even in the Age of Sail or WW2 it'd be all the more ridiculous here.

What should be the case is sea travel should be dangerous. Bad events like sinkings and storms should make naval expeditions a risky endeavour (especially in regions such as the Atlantic) at the best of times that can result in the death of a character and severe losses and demoralisation of moving forces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ship

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The most fun thing I did in CK2 was founding the Kingdom of Jerusalem, then managing to successfully crusade Mecca and Medina. During the siege I captured three of the sultan's wives. I could have pressed for victory right then, but instead I mutilated each of his wives and sent them back.

Fun!

Avarize

Magister
Their favourite RPG doesn't even have combat, why would this be a problem?

Mortmal

Arcane
The most fun thing I did in CK2 was founding the Kingdom of Jerusalem, then managing to successfully crusade Mecca and Medina. During the siege I captured three of the sultan's wives. I could have pressed for victory right then, but instead I mutilated each of his wives and sent them back.

Fun!
Delete that, no one will hire you again if they find that...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Fun!
Delete that, no one will hire you again if they find that...

I also castrated the sultan once in a game of playing Byzantium. :M

CK2 is, in truth, a medieval sadism simulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom