Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
To be honest he has a point, but I think it should be about how a game is matching players, not about "tryhards" players who are just doing their best to win. Having casual mode and ranked mode may be one solution though it has its own failings.

Jigawatt

Arcane

The distilled spirit of ScrubQuotesX. As to the last guy

EfgJw1mWkAIkmul

If someone gets upset about losing then they're not a casual. A casual doesn't need to win to have fun. That guy complains about tryhards, but he's a tryhard too. He's just a bad one so he tries to invalidate the victories of the people who are better than him.

Kitchen Utensil

Besides, that tactic is so obvious that calling it tryhard makes you look kinda like a mentally challenged sub-monkey, even if you don't care about winning.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
To be honest he has a point, but I think it should be about how a game is matching players, not about "tryhards" players who are just doing their best to win. Having casual mode and ranked mode may be one solution though it has its own failings.

Recently I started playing Hunt Showdown and even at beginning the game placed some high level prestige players, who have thousands of hours of game, with me who has no equipment and doesnt even know anything about the game.

Needless to say I got killed all the time and my KDA was garbage.

I didnt bitch, go to reddit or official forums to cry how it was unfair I played and got better, I endured and in enduring grow strong.

Thats why I have 0 respect for players who are bothered by losing instead putting an effort in getting better they cry like women.

Also I prefer to play against players who are better then me since then if I win the victory is all so sweeter.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane

Recently I started playing Hunt Showdown and even at beginning the game placed some high level prestige players, who have thousands of hours of game, with me who has no equipment and doesnt even know anything about the game.

I didnt bitch, go to reddit or official forums to cry how it was unfair I played and got better, I endured and in enduring grow strong.

Thats why I have 0 respect for players who are bothered by losing instead putting an effort in getting better they cry like women.

Also I prefer to play against players who are better then me since then if I win the victory is all so sweeter.

This is important for a decent match making or Elo system; otherwise people who are naturally good at a game (skill from other FPSs, talent, etc.) would be stuck playing with people of a lower level before they move up -- and it would allow for rampant smurfing. The placement games are important to see where a player stacks up -- as not everyone necessarily needs to start at the very bottom of the ladder.

When I started to play 1v1s in Company of Heroes 2, I got placed with someone who curb-stomped me and beat me doing things I didn't realize were possible -- later I found out he (or at least the same username) had won tournaments. It was interesting to me to see "what does really good play" look like when I hadn't even learned what the keyboard shortcuts were. Likewise, later I would encounter players who had hundreds of games under their belt but never quite got "good" or even "good enough".

I'm sure some narcissistic types will take this as a personal slight, but they should be ignored.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is important for a decent match making or Elo system; otherwise people who are naturally good at a game (skill from other FPSs, talent, etc.) would be stuck playing with people of a lower level before they move up -- and it would allow for rampant smurfing. The placement games are important to see where a player stacks up -- as not everyone necessarily needs to start at the very bottom of the ladder.

When I started to play 1v1s in Company of Heroes 2, I got placed with someone who curb-stomped me and beat me doing things I didn't realize were possible -- later I found out he (or at least the same username) had won tournaments. It was interesting to me to see "what does really good play" look like when I hadn't even learned what the keyboard shortcuts were. Likewise, later I would encounter players who had hundreds of games under their belt but never quite got "good" or even "good enough".

I'm sure some narcissistic types will take this as a personal slight, but they should be ignored.

I completely agree with you, problem is that not every game has huge playerbases so even if you make perfect elo system you wont be able to always fill a match with players who are same elo as you. So people need to understand that be it normal or ranked game there is always a chance that you will encounter a player who will either destroy you or offer you no challenge.

The thing is Fall Guys is a new game and it seems even devs are surprised how popular it is, so im sure they will implement some kind of elo system sooner or later.

Also I just find it funny that there are people who are so butthurt that they cant beat others in a casual lighthearted game that they make a video crying about it. As i said, Hunt has no elo system or it doesnt work as intended, yet neither me or my friends care about it. We get killed by bad players and by good ones because shit happens, you learn something new, you start again and maybe you win next one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
An interesting take on Time in games, as in how much we're using of it, and for what.

(Also LOL at the concept behind that "The Longing"-game.)

Interesting interview about Phantasy Star Online with devs. It might have been linked by someone in the shoutbox but I'll assume it organically grew from one of my forgotten browser tabs

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/8/16/21369887/phantasy-star-online-interview-angry-fans

PSO is almost 20 years old, and when you developed the game, you were both in very different parts of your lives. We’re coming up on two decades since the game’s release. Looking back, how do you feel about the experience now?

Nishiyama: My impression is that we challenged ourselves to do something new. The Dreamcast, at the time, shipped with a modem installed, but nobody had come up with the idea to make an online role-playing game. It didn’t occur to me that it was something “new.” It was a groundbreaking idea, but I didn’t understand this fully at the time and was just scrambling to make the game. To look back now — and I find myself doing so quite often — I realize that I got to work on a truly pioneering game, and it makes me very proud. There’s been a lot of online RPGs since then, but I feel proud that I was able to work on the very first online RPGs for consoles. [...]

Before working on PSO, I had personally never played an online game, and I made assumptions about what online games consisted of, making it up as we made the game. Nowadays, I play online games on consoles and on my cellphone, and have been making online games [at Sega]. In order to keep players engaged with the game, it’s common sense now to provide additional content, downloadable content, etc. after the release of the game. But at the time, it didn’t occur to me that that was necessary. To me, PSO was a whole, complete game, and I had written the scenario in such a way that the game included an ending to the story within the packaged product.

In Japanese, we say “kishoten-ketsu.” It refers to the structure of a narrative. I wrote the scenario so that as you progress through the story, the tension builds and there’s a climactic ending. One day, Naka came to me and said that they were going to add an update to the game that would take place between stages three and four. So I had to come up with a new stage in the middle of the game. I was stubborn at the time and resisted, explaining that I had strategically structured the story and couldn’t just throw another stage into it. I remember getting in a fight with Naka over it. In hindsight, I should have just added something and accepted that added content was necessary to keep the players interested in the game. Nowadays, it’s just common sense, and I wonder why I couldn’t see that. So, that happened.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm disappointed by the lack fo hor's videos:

Check the comments if you're curious about the source of the last two videos and wish to obtain it for "research purposes".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interesting, Hidden Path (of CS:GO, Defense Grid) is making a AAA fantasy RPG: https://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/senior-level-designer-belleview-washington-34522

You will create new gameplay experiences for our AAA fantasy RPG that will set the gold standard for level design. To accomplish this, you will interface with numerous strike teams across all disciplines, creating levels from concept to completion. You will collaborate with combat and encounter teams to establish standards and practices for gameplay, with narrative to ensure theme and IP are consistent and strong, with art to ensure levels look as great as they play, with producers to get level design tasks created, assigned and kept up to date. You will organize level reviews and playtests. We want you to be able to mentor others as we grow the team. This role reports to the Lead Designer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom